Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: EWO class videos Dallas July 23&24

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I have been blessed to have spent several years entirely devoted to blade stuff, and was actually tasked by my agency to develop that expertise. I have been with some of the best folks in the country and many with very different ways of doing things. I have done work with folks with very extensive actual use of edged weapons in both offensive and defensive capacities. With that precursor......I send a lot of people to Southnarc. I first took a seminar type class from Craig back probably 15 plus years ago, and found that while we were totally different in size, background, and working assignments in LE, we were both on the same path and was amazed at how many of the same conclusions we were reaching after putting in a lot of study combined with what were we seeing in the field as cops. In the areas of difference...Craig made rational sense and was in no way totally out there, we just reached a different conclusion and all the solutions were viable even if different. I wholeheartedly endorse Southnarcs classes and any one who has taken a class with us knows that we recommend our students also train with Craig, as he is doing some very solid stuff backed up with a ton of real world experience to back up why and what he does.
    Thanks buddy!

Having taken both ECQC and EWO I can tell you from experience that ECQC as a "pistol class" is a vastly different environment from what 90% of people's prior pistol training will have covered. EWO is most likely the same as far as their prior blade training.

The overwhelming majority of folks have tons of reps standing on a range and drawing and shooting a stationary paper target and doing a pretty good impersonation of a firing squad but not so much training in trying to transition from "getting their ass beat and in lethal danger " to accessing and shooting in extreme close quarters. That and their prior pistol work generally look nothing alike.

With EWO you are not simply standing there with no pressure, drawing and applying your blade with precise slashes to the 9 angles (or however many your system teaches) in the air but instead are transitioning from "getting your ass beat and in lethal danger" to accessing and employing the knife in the clinch against a live opponent, breaking contact and then keeping them away if the BG tries to close distance again. So when people see evolutions from both ECQC and EWO with no other explanation for what is going on and why the students are doing what they are doing, the observer can really only compare it to and judge what they are seeing in those few moments of an evolution against their prior training experiences. And since it is so vastly different (for most folks) than their prior training experiences it often takes a bit of recalculation of (and followed by a subsequent questioning of) prior held beliefs to really get what they are seeing. So they really need to actually experience it before they can really make truly informed decisions on the material.

And as a post script...as to the lack of gun work in EWO...it is a KNIFE class title Edged Weapons Overview. There are numerous places in the US you might be able to carry a knife but not a gun and for those of us who do travel outside the US a gun is just not an option in most places.....but a knife is. So while I live in the South and can legally carry a gun and knife every day here at home I don't really have that option outside the US....or in New Jersey...or in NY...or in Mass....so sometime all you have will be a knife.
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 08-23-2016 at 09:23 AM.

User Tag List