Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do you track & keep your pistol cases in batches?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Yeah, I did some searching, and it looks like you have to first register as someone who wants to do ITAR/ACEA exporting ($2250/year, ouch) and then apply for an export permit (unknown cost, but almost certainly non-zero). The profit margin after those expenses is probably poor enough to make it not worthwhile. Seems silly, given that cartridge cases are manufactured in many countries around the world. It's not like you'd be exporting some sort of secret tech that enemies of the USA couldn't otherwise get their hands on.
    Well, I guess that puts the nail in the coffin then for me... back to counting my brass....

I never thought I'd see the day where Australia would make something easier than America when it came to something firearms related!

Site Supporter
    The export permit is $250usd, but you can put multiple items on it.
    So say a dealer exporting 200 pistols, mags, pin and spring kits ect. Would be done on one permit.
    They could also add other items if they wanted. You can put 100 items on a permit and only ship 50, but you can't get paperwork for 50 and ship 100.

You can do it as an private individual but it takes time and Can time consuming.
    That being said somethings you just can't find it over here or if you can they want too much for it.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Thanks dbateman. I guess plus you have to find someone in America with the brass willing to go to the trouble of an expert permit. By the time you go to the time and trouble at both ends, plus the freight, I'm guessing that the value would start to narrow down and you'd need to purchase in significant batch sizes for it to be worth while.

I guess this has gone a little OT though.

I'm going to try tracking my batches in # of shots as Gyro suggested. It seems to be the most practical and allows for any size batches of brass instead of keeping it to a certain count. If it ends up being too much work or not worth while, I can always stop, but at least if I start - I have options.

Thanks to everyone who has replied with their time and information!

Quote Originally Posted by -ad- View Post
    Thanks dbateman. I guess plus you have to find someone in America with the brass willing to go to the trouble of an expert permit. By the time you go to the time and trouble at both ends, plus the freight, I'm guessing that the value would start to narrow down and you'd need to purchase in significant batch sizes for it to be worth while.
    Yeah, it'd probably have to be significant, recurring volume in order to make it worth it - basically you'd have to work out all of the logistics and permitting on both ends and set it up as a business. If it was financially and logistically feasible to send small quantities, I'd have PMed you asking for your address a long time ago.

Wait, so CBC brass is on the shit-list?

I have a ton of once fired CBC 9mm that I'm planning on reloading since I bought a few cases of Magtech 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Wait, so CBC brass is on the shit-list?

I have a ton of once fired CBC 9mm that I'm planning on reloading since I bought a few cases of Magtech 9mm.
    Depends on the gun and the bullet in question. MG JHP and CMJ bullets don't play nice with CBC brass in my Walther P99 and P99c. My understanding is that the issue arises from CBC brass' walls getting thicker closer to the case mouth than typical 9mm brass. Combine this with a gun with a short/tight chamber and/or a bullet with an unforgiving profile and you end up with the brass bulging out at the base of the bullet, which causes failures when you case gauge/chamber check. 115 grain bullets would probably have the lowest likelihood of causing problems, and round-nose generally tend to be more forgiving than JHP, but in the end it's a matter of testing it out with your bullets and your guns.

My only concern is to keep 2 9mm Berettas, one Glock, and one normal CZ-75 fed. I just care about having good practice ammo and to shoot at matches when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    My only concern is to keep 2 9mm Berettas, one Glock, and one normal CZ-75 fed. I just care about having good practice ammo and to shoot at matches when I can.
    Of those, I'd *guess* that the CZ has the shortest/tightest chamber, but again, you'll have to determine that with your bullets. Plunk test in each, and keep shortening the OAL until it plunks successfully in all of them. Then seat & crimp a bullet to that OAL in a couple of CBC cases and plunk them in the gun with the tightest chamber and you'll have your answer.

User Tag List