Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 full size

I have a couple of the full size 15 round mags thatI got, not realizing they weren’t 17s.

Been running the Wilson Combat 12# hammer spring.

Site Supporter
    I put the 11# spring in a few weeks ago. Running fine so far.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    IME, the 12 lb. spring will run anything, including Winchester NATO-spec hardball. The 11 lb. gave occasional light strikes with that load. I'm running the 12 lb. spring in my three full-size PX4s because I like the NATO-spec stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

This is the first pistol I've had that has a rotating barrel and also the first one with a separate locking block. Any tips on lubrication?
    Paging @PX4 Storm Tracker

Also, I'm hesitant to recommend FaceBook, but the PX4 Storm group on their is a great resource. I suspect that the gentleman that runs that is the same as I referred to above

https://www.facebook.com/groups/719344198087388/

That is actually a really good Facebook Group.

All bases covered!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert1035 View Post
    Paging @PX4 Storm Tracker

Also, I'm hesitant to recommend FaceBook, but the PX4 Storm group on their is a great resource. I suspect that the gentleman that runs that is the same as I referred to above

https://www.facebook.com/groups/719344198087388/
    Thanks for bringing my attention to this post.

Yes, @That Guy, I am the Administrator of that Facebook group. It is the largest, friendliest and most constantly active PX4 group on Facebook. You are welcome to join us!
    We have whole sections on all aspects of the PX4, including a lubrication map and discussion about lube choices. All questions get answers.

Lubrication map

With nearly 200,000 rounds on PX4s and 92,600 on my range PX4 .45 I have found a lubrication plan that works well and protects defense ammo and firing pin penetration.

In this first picture the pointers show places to lubricate, the red X shows where not to (to protect ammo). The next 2 pictures will break it down into a more usable map.

Name:  Lubrication map (1).jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  68.6 KB

This picture shows which areas get a generous amount of lubrication.

Name:  Lubrication map (2).jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  66.0 KB

This picture shows which areas get a lighter application of lubrication.

Name:  Lubrication map (3).jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  65.5 KB

Dry will cause more problems than dirty.

I don't put lube directly on the slide rails, but on the frame rails. If you put it on the slide rails mounting the slide on the frame will push it to pool up front off the rails.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 12-09-2019 at 10:57 AM.

lever stick

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I have about 7500 through my PX4 full-size that I've owned since 2008 (I'm a pretty low-volume shooter). I replaced the recoil spring assembly at 5000, still haven't replaced the mags yet as the springs still feel relatively tight. I run mine pretty wet, TW-25B on the locking block mechanism where the little lug engages the barrel, a little breakfree on the rest of the barrel and hoppes oil on the slide rails. I clean/lube every range trip. Knock on wood I haven't had any issues following that schedule, except one failure to return to battery with a remanufactured round around the 5000 mark.

In the last few months the safety has started sticking, which has me a bit worried, but has not seemed to impact functionality so I'll wait to be overly concerned.
    If your safety lever is sticking you can put a drop or two of oil in the back of the firing pin plunger hole at the rearmost of the slide. This will put it on the left lever shaft and free it up. I have also seen where a dirty firing pin channel causes the lever to hesitate climbing over the firing pin.

A rose by any other name...

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    There are several topics on the PX4 and I can't even find all of them on my phone - my apologies if this has already been asked and answered.

Beretta sells a part they call "Lighter MAX Hammer Spring for Beretta Pistols (Competition)", part # C90160. They say it is compatible with the PX4 but won't say the weight of the spring. Does anyone here happen to know it, or have experience with this part?
    This spring is another name (marketing) for the Cougar D spring. In measuring poundage there is a translation matrix here. The commonly used Wilson Combat 12# spring (offered with a polished end from LTT) is for a model 92. It will deliver more poundage when put in a PX4. A Cougar D spring is the same length and part as a PX4. It will be the equivalent delivered strength initially.
    Beretta estimates the stock PX4 spring @20# and the D spring @16#.

Normally a D spring will give an initial double action pull drop to 8# and single action to 4#. This is about the same as the 12# M-92 spring.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 12-09-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    With nearly 200,000 rounds on PX4s and 92,600 on my range PX4 .45 I have found a lubrication plan that works well and protects defense ammo and firing pin penetration.

In this first picture the pointers show places to lubricate, the red X shows where not to (to protect ammo). The next 2 pictures will break it down into a more usable map.

Name:  Lubrication map (1).jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  68.6 KB

This picture shows which areas get a generous amount of lubrication.

Name:  Lubrication map (2).jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  66.0 KB

This picture shows which areas get a lighter application of lubrication.

Name:  Lubrication map (3).jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  65.5 KB

Dry will cause more problems than dirty.

I don't put lube directly on the slide rails, but on the frame rails. If you put it on the slide rails mounting the slide on the frame will push it to pool up front off the rails.
    This is great. Thank you.

User Tag List