Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta PX4 full size

Beretta PX4 full size

I thought I'd start a new thread specifically regarding the full-size PX4, since the huge thread we have on PX4's is mostly specifically about the compact version... If mods disagree with my logic, sorry for the extra work.

Yeah, soo... I still have a P226 fetish. But getting my paws on one was becoming a really expensive and difficult project. Then I found a PX4 for about $500 to $800 less than I'd have to pay for the Sig. That is quite a useful amount of money saved, there, especially in my current situation. I figured once you get past a certain point, it's really more about preferences than one pistol being unacceptable compared to the other. And so, a couple of quick mouse clicks, send off a few papers in the mail, a week later pick up a brand new gun from the local grocery store. (Which doubles, amongst other things, as our post office.)

Turns out the pistols sold in this country are - of course - less equipped versions than elsewhere in the world. It only came with the medium backstrap. Since at least the Talon Grips grip tape has different sizes for the small and medium backstraps, I'm trying to figure out whether to bother getting the small one first or if I can skip ahead to getting some damn traction on that slippery as hell grip. From the picture it doesn't seem the small backstrap is all that much smaller, but how much does it affect the feel of the gun? For what it's worth, I can reach the trigger fine with the medium backstrap on. I do have fairly small hands though, so usually a smaller grip ought to be better. In theory.

This is the first pistol I've had that has a rotating barrel and also the first one with a separate locking block. Any tips on lubrication?

I haven't seen a maintenance schedule anywhere for this gun. Any tips or pointers? From the round count Mr. Langdon has through his pistols this should not need extensive maintenance, but if there is say a recommended replacement schedule for the recoil spring, it would sure be nice to know it.

The manual claims I can load rounds straight into the chamber. But the extractor looks like it has to be forced over the rim of the cartridge? Not that this is a very important feature to me, just curious.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have about 7500 through my PX4 full-size that I've owned since 2008 (I'm a pretty low-volume shooter). I replaced the recoil spring assembly at 5000, still haven't replaced the mags yet as the springs still feel relatively tight. I run mine pretty wet, TW-25B on the locking block mechanism where the little lug engages the barrel, a little breakfree on the rest of the barrel and hoppes oil on the slide rails. I clean/lube every range trip. Knock on wood I haven't had any issues following that schedule, except one failure to return to battery with a remanufactured round around the 5000 mark.

In the last few months the safety has started sticking, which has me a bit worried, but has not seemed to impact functionality so I'll wait to be overly concerned.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 07-26-2016 at 09:26 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Subscribed

Vending Machine Operator
    Crap, it's too late to edit my post and I missed two of the OP's questions

1.) I've never had issues loading directly into the chamber. I don't generally do that, but the few times I did I didn't have an issue.

2.) I tried the small and large backstraps and honestly just found the medium much more comfortable so never swapped them again.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Living in NJ, we have a 15rnd mag limit. Has anyone done, a PX4L? Something similar to the G17 cut to accept G19 mags, but obviously on a PX4 fullsize.

Quote Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
    Living in NJ, we have a 15rnd mag limit. Has anyone done, a PX4L? Something similar to the G17 cut to accept G19 mags, but obviously on a PX4 fullsize.
    The spring in the frame may prevent that.

JR1572

Quote Originally Posted by rauchman View Post
    Oh hey, this reminds me! I came across some Mec-Gar 15 round magazines for the PX4. Unfortunately the shop selling them could not confirm whether they were for the full size version or compact. Has anyone seen those?
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    The spring in the frame may prevent that.

JR1572
    The spring is the same as the compact , I believe the hammer spring cup is longer on the full size . If you were to cut the frame the grip panel fit and how to retain them would be my concern. Id love to see if it could be done.

Beretta PX4 full size

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Oh hey, this reminds me! I came across some Mec-Gar 15 round magazines for the PX4. Unfortunately the shop selling them could not confirm whether they were for the full size version or compact. Has anyone seen those?
    I had some of those when I had a 9mm PX 4 Compact. They were full sized mags made for the NJ / CO market. CDNN had them.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 07-26-2016 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt191145lover View Post
    The spring is the same as the compact , I believe the hammer spring cup is longer on the full size . If you were to cut the frame the grip panel fit and how to retain them would be my concern. Id love to see if it could be done.
    Grind it up. I'd love to the see the end result.

JR1572

User Tag List