Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shot my first IDPA match

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    Does that work? Because it sounds like you'd easily wind up with extra holes in the -1 or -3 zones...
    The 2 best count towards score.

Yes, I know. What I meant was that simply shooting an extra shot at a difficult target without taking sufficient care to hit -0 sounds like a method where you just end up making up a -1 hit with another -1 hit. And if you do shoot carefully enough, wouldn't you notice if a shot goes wrong? I don't quite understand what the benefit of a preprogrammed make up shot is. On the other hand, gaming tactics is one thing I really suck at...
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

I can't ever recall an IDPA stage where I thought "yeah I should automatically take a third shot at this target". I've dumped a round here or there for the rare advantageous reload position but that's about it.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I can't ever recall an IDPA stage where I thought "yeah I should automatically take a third shot at this target". I've dumped a round here or there for the rare advantageous reload position but that's about it.
    F'n gamer...

Oh wait...

Site Supporter
    This was a funny nuance last weekend. We had a stage where you sat at a table and pulled a string. It started two swingers going. You gave them two each. Then you got up and ran around shooting the other targets. You ended with a little steel one. Ping!

However, I noticed that by the time you shoot all the targets, the two swingers had stopped vertically upright and exposed with both being in line. I asked the SO that I thought the rules stated you could return to a target after you had engaged all of them. Why yes you could - gamer boy. Thus, after the ping, several us just turned and gave the now upright swingers two more shots and as shoot through due to alignment - that negated any crappy hits when they originally swung. A unique circumstance.

It was almost as amusing when there were two swingers, one of which was a no shoot. Depending on timing, for some poor schmuch, they would sychronize and be in alignment, so you couldn't shoot the target without drilling the no-shoot.

Got to watch beginners. One new guy would move by putting his gun straight hanging down - ouch. Another was shooting a Shield with a laser and was placing his finger along the laser and getting mighty close to the end of the barrel.

So we gently instructed them and they were grateful. I shoot accurately but am I a slow old tub - sigh - yes.

Wasn't sure if I should continue in this thread or start anew, but here are my impressions from my second match:
    https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress...ues-match-two/

Also, looks like I'll be shooting the classifier in a couple of weeks.

It was almost as amusing when there were two swingers, one of which was a no shoot. Depending on timing, for some poor schmuch, they would sychronize and be in alignment, so you couldn't shoot the target without drilling the no-shoot.
    There is enough variability in the setup of a simple double swinger that you can get into stuff like that.
    I once saw at SHOT a double swinger with a geared linkage that ensured the same exposure every time it was tripped. Never saw one on a range, it was pretty expensive.

Sounds pretty good, 43under.
    You are learning and you are learning what you need to learn next.
    Yes, you need to scale your rate of fire to the range. You get to see the layout beforehand, there is no call to sneak up on the next position. As one Master says, it is not how fast you shoot, it is how fast you can do stuff while you are not shooting.

Some IDPA is not really tackytickle. Slow movement shooting accurately is one of those things. But they cannot very well tell you to run fast and lay down suppressive fire in a home town self defense situation, that is for the Army.
    And by the way, hitting a Non-Threat is a 5 second penalty not a 3 second Procedural.

Thanks for that correction, Jim W., I'll have to fix that in my blog post. Clearly still learning!

Shot the classifier this weekend. Here is the post I just made about it:
    https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress...pa-classifier/

Long story short, I classified as Sharpshooter in SSP. But read the article for more detail. I'm pleased with that at this point, but there is room to improve.

User Tag List