Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot my first IDPA match

Shot my first IDPA match

Shot my first IDPA match this weekend (club match). Fun stuff. My thoughts here:
    https://civiliangunfighter.wordpress...st-idpa-match/

Glad you enjoyed the match. You are obviously an adequate shot, you just have to learn rules and procedures. Those complicated "brain game" standard drills can trip anybody up. I watched Rob Leatham get lost on one at an early Nationals. He just signed his scorecard with procedurals, grinned, and moved on to win.

I feel kind of sorry for people like the other new shooters, Messrs, 13-16; they are having to try to learn to shoot and execute complicated directions at the same time.

Now it's time to try USPSA!
    i used to wannabe

Cool - good job!

Good job!

Thanks for the kudos, guys. Guess all the classes I've taken these last few years have paid off a bit.

It was tough to look at the practiscore stuff and see that, if not for procedurals, I would've finished 4th. Most of those would've been easily remedied.

There are also those sensible bits of strategery I could have used. For example, two of the stages were unlimited with no chance of me needing all 31 rounds. So i should've filled the targets with holes since only the best two (if two was the magic number per target) counted. I would have been "down zero" on a few more targets had I done so.

Overall, a very positive experience. Will probably do another match the first weekend in August. I'll post my experiences again.

Oh, regarding USPSA, it doesn't seem as popular around here as IDPA. One advantage to USPSA for me would be the ability to shoot from AIWB in one of their divisions, something I cannot do in any IDPA division. I might look into it, but want to work on just one type for now.

Only take makeup shots if you need them, otherwise it's wasted time. Make your hits, and learn to call your shots if your sights tell you you threw a shot
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

So i should've filled the targets with holes since only the best two (if two was the magic number per target) counted. I would have been "down zero" on a few more targets had I done so.
    Yes, but you would have taken longer about it. Currently a point down is .5 second so you have to be shooting very fast for that approach to pay off.

I try hard to call my shots, where were the sights when the gun went off? If I can IMMEDIATELY conclude they were not on target, fire again.
    Or, preprogram makeup shots - that target is farther away, it will automatically get an extra shot rather than trying to snipe it slowly and carefully.

Thanks guys. Yes, eventually I'll figure out these little nuances of time, math, etc., so thanks for the advice. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Or, preprogram makeup shots - that target is farther away, it will automatically get an extra shot rather than trying to snipe it slowly and carefully.
    Does that work? Because it sounds like you'd easily wind up with extra holes in the -1 or -3 zones...
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

User Tag List