Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ever just have one of those days?

Sometimes we all just have a day when things just aren't working in synch. If you can focus a bit on what is going wrong, then it's a great opportunity to grow as a shooter. My personal issues on these days is generally a lack of focus. If its a physical thing, such as grip, trigger control, etc., it's pretty easy to pay a bit of attention to that and get back on track.

For me, the lack of mental focus is harder to deal with. Shooting really is about 90% mental so it's easy to loose focus sometimes. On those days, I just try to make it a fun day and not waste ammo or work on a single factor I'm having issues with or want to improve on.

Shooting at a decent level contains a decent amount of auto pilot where a number of things work best without a lot of conscious thought. Too much mind can screw with that.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post

Wellll....since you bring up the classifier. For a minute I thought you knew me, then saw you ain't from 'roun heah. Last month was our local classifier and I had the brilliant idea to just shoot the whole thing with my BUG gun, kind of cocky-like since I finished top 5 in the last BUG match I was at a couple hours south of here. So I figured yeah, I'd just go ahead and classify for BUG, then also go for CCP while re-upping my ESP and SSP all at once.

Long story short, I had one of "those" days. I could make excuses but I won't. Classified SS in BUG but that same time transferred to MM in CCP. Would have been MM in the other two also if IDPA let your classifications go negative. I forget how many points down because I can't count that high.

But to answer your statement, yes, I believe I'd rather have suffered through the ignominy of everyone watching me burn, than go through today again.
    Last time I shot the IDPA classifier I absolutely hosed it. I generally (used to) place with people classified as SS or higher; I basically only managed MM by the grace of god that morning. I'm convinced this is why I will never shoot IDPA if given a choice; too much emotional trauma.

If IDPA is emotional trauma USPSA is watching your house filled with puppies burn down. Some of their classifiers are satanic.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Shooting really is about 90% mental so it's easy to loose focus sometimes. .
    This is very true and quite evident when guys I work with can shoot tight groups all day long in practice sessions but seem to always throw one round out on quals.

To get the "Distinguished Expert" pin you have to have five years of perfect 100s in a row. Miss one round and you start all over. I have seen folks get to their fifth qual and throw one round.....usually at the five yard line shooting one handed.

Always fun to watch them throw things and go full potty mouth when that happens.

Once you get the pin you keep it for your career so there is no pressure whatsoever and I still blew that 17th year qual. lol

I actually think it's a good thing to have an off day once in a while. When it happens to me, I immediately slow down, dry fire a bit right there at the line, then resume live fire with an emphasis on fundamentals.
    I look at the temporary setbacks as a kind of training opportunity and to keep me honest with grip, trigger press, sight picture and follow-through.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    If IDPA is emotional trauma USPSA is watching your house filled with puppies burn down. Some of their classifiers are satanic.
    this is why I've yet to shoot a USPSA qualifier

USPSA is much more fun than IDPA though - usually if I get hosed on a USPSA stage it's because I earned it. I've shot several IDPA CoFs where I ended up placing last because I forgot to shoot from behind cover or while moving or with 2 fingers crossed behind my back or...
    Last edited by Nephrology; 07-26-2016 at 10:00 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    this is why I've yet to shoot a USPSA qualifier
    This is why I've never shot USPSA period; seems like all the videos I see are doods running full-out here to there, and then to there (2), and then to there(3) all the while shooting this and that. My problem is that currently I can both run and shoot faster than I can focus / think. I need some kind of drill to work on focus and actively thinking while shooting. Haven't been spending any time on DOTW - maybe it's time to open that subforum and start picking through it.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    This is why I've never shot USPSA period; seems like all the videos I see are doods running full-out here to there, and then to there (2), and then to there(3) all the while shooting this and that. My problem is that currently I can both run and shoot faster than I can focus / think. I need some kind of drill to work on focus and actively thinking while shooting.
    You might find that starting to shoot USPSA will give you the impetus to start thinking while shooting. (More importantly, you might find that shooting USPSA will force you to start doing it.)

It is always interesting to watch people in their first USPSA match (no matter their skill level), then observe the changes in their skill levels in the first year. They are normally----significant.

Quote Originally Posted by jthhapkido View Post
    It is always interesting to watch people in their first USPSA match (no matter their skill level), then observe the changes in their skill levels in the first year. They are normally----significant.
    No joke. USPSA can teach a lot about efficiency of movement and shooting quickly while maintaining accuracy. In addition, it will really test (and improve) a person's ability to figure out what do do when their plan goes sideways. Also it's a hell of a lot of fun.

I seem to be having one of those lives...

When I get to the range I know it'll be at least a week until I get a change to try this again. So quitting when everything sucks is... difficult. Sometimes I manage to push through the suck in the end, sometimes not. Hard to tell in advance if the day is going to be a complete waste of ammunition and time or not.

User Tag List