Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever just have one of those days?

Ever just have one of those days?

When the suck and fail flow without limits while at the range? Everything I tried to do was horrible and these were my standard drills that I perform 3-4 times a week. Draws sucked, SOM sucked. For no rhyme or reason, all I did was waste ammunition today.
    Last edited by gtmtnbiker98; 07-25-2016 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    When the suck and fail flow without limits while at the range? Everything I tried to do was horrible and these were my standard drills that I perform 3-4 times a week. Draws sucked, SOM sucked. For no rhyme or reason, all I did was waste ammunition today.
    This is why having a standard drill you run at the range every single time to determine where you are is a necessity.

I've gone to the range with the best intentions and shot a 200 drill like I wasn't even aiming. Did it a second time just to make sure I wasn't all messed up and it was similar. Packed up and left.

No reason to turn money into noise when all you need to do is some dry fire to work out whatever is going on.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Yea I have one of those days frequently.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Yep. I pay more attention to them than to the days where I nail everything hard and fast the first time around. I consider them a sobering reminder of what my true skill level is likely to be if things get real.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Ever just have one of those days?

When I have that day, I stop trying to train, and switch guns and just shoot for fun. I'll rent anything if I didn't bring something else (but there's usually something random in a bag or the trunk).

My goal is to leave happy, so that I am ready to come work hard at the range the next day.
    Last edited by Josh Runkle; 07-25-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Had this last week. Tried something new with my grip and fucked everything up. Kept trying to push through it but all I did was waste 100 rounds. I had fun but was frustrated at the end also.

I've had more than my share of "those days."

I actually prefer those days to days when I'm running hot - once I've sucked hard it's easy to see improvement. But the pressure to keep performing after you're killing your old performance standards gets to be a bit much. Early in 2015, I had a run where I shot a perfect score on our 300 point qualification nine times in a row - it was actually a relief to gank a weak hand only shot on the 10th run - no more pressure!

Had "one of those" range days last year.

After shooting 17 years of perfect 100s on quals (rifle, pistol, and scattergun) at work, I moseyed on out to the range to do my yearly qualification. First round was like a 96 with an absolutely embarrassing group....more like a pattern.....on pistol. Second round I slowed down and focused on fundamentals.

94 on that round.

And our qual course ain't that hard.

Anyway, one bad day out of hundreds of days at the range isn't going to haunt me. Lots of things were going against me that day: lack of sleep, lack of food, coffee was terrible that morning.....all sorts of little chinks in the armor that day. And I hadn't been practicing enough....it truly is a frangible skill.

I'm back where I need to be now and have sent 3k pistol rounds down range this year to date....including a shooting school or two. Working on carbine stuff now.

Don't sweat it. Work on dry fire for a while and shake it off. We all have "those" days.

yep. Bombed my last idpa match, and subsequent practice sessions have been awful. Nothing like a 8 inch group 12 inchs left of POA.... at 7 yards.

Shows why one needs to dry fire practice daily.

When I post mortem those occurrences, I most often come away with the conclusion that my head was not aligned with the task at hand.

User Tag List