Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harrison parts in a Springfield 1911

Harrison parts in a Springfield 1911

This week I rebuilt one of my most used 1911's with these parts from Harrison Custom.

The factory cast hammer and MIM sear had become worn enough that the gun began to experience hammer follow. The sear spring and hammer spring were also pretty tired, so it was time for an overhaul. I also ordered a hammer strut as they can often be a bear to remove and I find it easier to just go with a new one. The parts arrived in a timely manner and I was very impressed with the quality. I chose to go with the true radius option and the hammer, sear and disconnector all installed without incident, or alteration. The strut pin is advertised as over sized and it is, but fitting required only a few minutes. Fitting of the original thumb safety was necessary, but anticipated, so no surprises there. A little adjustment of the new sear spring, the over travel screw and the job was done, resulting in a clean, perfect four pound pull that breaks like the classic glass rod. I had set the original trigger to three and a half pounds, but I have no complaints with it as is, so I won't be making further adjustments. I highly recommend these parts.

The first eight rounds fired off hand at twenty five yards during the function check.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-23-2016 at 10:37 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I have a Kimber Series 1 1911 that I bought in 1999 with over 25k through it using the original fire control parts. It became a problem keeping the trigger pull above 2lbs. The parts were just worn out. Even though I'm friends with John Harrison, I just ordered his parts from Brownells and dropped them in. I also changed out the spring and tweaked it a bit and have a great trigger. Can't go wrong with his parts at all.

Good to know about his fire control parts. I am a huge fan of his retro rear sight, have it on a couple of guns, and am about to put another on a MARS build.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I did the same to a friend's Kimber a few years ago. It was starting to follow, and when I took a close look at the sear it looked like shit, and when I say it looked like shit I mean it looked like excrement, it was no surprise it was behaving the way it was. By comparison the HDC stuff looked like jewelry.

In that case everything pretty much did drop in and was maybe not quite four pounds (this True Radius sounds cool) was very nice and my friend was very happy.

Site Supporter
    Harrison's parts are top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Good to know about his fire control parts. I am a huge fan of his retro rear sight, have it on a couple of guns, and am about to put another on a MARS build.
    I've used his parts before, but never these fire control parts. In the past I've used Cylinder & Slide's equivalent and find these to be superior. I've had gun this particular Springfield RO for about three years now. It's been my main competition/training/all around beater gun in that time and has been a solid performer. However, after 25k rounds it started to exhibit hammer follow when the slide was dropped on an empty chamber, so it was time for some new guts. Overall, the process was pretty painless with the Harrison parts. I'll definitely use them again.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 07-24-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I've used his parts before, but never these fire control parts. In the past I've used Cylinder & Slide's equivalent and find these to be superior. I've had gun this particular Springfield RO for about three years now. It's been my main competition/training/all around beater gun in that time and has been a solid performer. However, after 25k rounds it started to exhibit hammer follow when the slide was dropped on an empty chamber, so it was time for some new guts. Overall, the process was pretty painless with the Harrison parts. I'll definitely use them again.
    Is this the sear with the rolling edge?

That hammer and True Radius sear are my favorites (when I used to play with 1911s). I used to use EGW Ball Head disconnectors on Springfields.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Is this the sear with the rolling edge?
    Honestly, I'm not familiar with the term do I can't say.

Site Supporter
    There are so many excellent aftermarket 1911 parts...gonna be resetting the internal parts of one of my .45s with cylinder and slide parts...

Harrison's 1911 builds just speak to me though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List