Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why single action revolvers?

I started shooting as a kid with a couple single action 22's. My first centerfires were also single actions. I moved on to DA revolvers and some autos, but for some reason have never been able to shoot an auto as well as a revolver, even an SA revolver. For fun, and because I tend to carry an SA Ruger quite a lot where I live (sort of rural-ish, with bears and stuff around), I shot a some plate shoots with a Ruger 45 SA. My scores were about the same as with a Smith model 19, and a little better than with a 1911. No, they aren't the best choice for defensive use, but one is hardly unarmed with one. Reloading them will never be as quick as a DA revolver, but not quite as slow as most seem to feel.

As Nyeti said, if one is used to them, they aren't all bad.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    ...As far as tactical application...I am of the opinion that the hardcore Cowboy action shooters are probably best served by a gun they are able to run totally on auto pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Some guy named "Hamer" killed bad guys like the plague with "Old Lucky".....bonus points because it was engraved.
    If I could manage to afford a Colt SA, either a Single Action Army or a New Frontier, and have it engraved, it would probably be my all around gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post

One of my favorite guns is my Single Six Convertible. It will fire any .22 rim fire ammo I can find, and is just fun. You know, like when you were a kid, and did stuff just because you liked it? Like that. And it's my daughters absolute favorite. I'm not sure every application has to be serious.
    Damn straight. My '56 Flatgate is one of my favorite wheelies too:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Also, they're pretty accurate and cool as hell. If you don't think a casehardened SAA in 45LC or 44-40 is cool then we can't be friends.
    On that premise, I'm still qualified to be friends.

Single action guns are fun and I totally appreciate that not every gun has to be a serious use gun.

Site Supporter
    I was looking for a 22LR revolved and went through a Taurus and a SW 317. Just wanted a fun gun - so I bought a Ruger SS Bearcat. It's pretty and fun to shoot. My kid liked it. I used for total beginners to that they could shoot one deliberate and easy shot before moving on.

It's just cute.

When I started (1975) shooting .44Mag the choices were S&W 29 and Ruger Super Blackhawk. The RSB would stand up to full house loads better and was lots cheaper. I had one for years shot it a lot.
    When the RedHawk came out I went that way for full house loads though I still like a S&W for Keith loads. When I talked to Bowen in the 1990s if I remember correctly he said that the single action kept in tune over more shooting and the Redhawk might be stronger.
    Currently arthritis in my thumbs makes a single action sub optimal.

In a strange way, an open top in .38 appeals to me.
    Or a SAA in .32-20.

My Bowen tuned .44 stainless four inch Blackhawk is compact, very accurate and more comfortable to shoot heavy magnums loads than much larger and heavier DA revolvers. The key to it being more comfortable is it rolls in your hand, dissipating recoil.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Time spent pulverising big rocks in the desert with hard cast lead launched from a Ruger SA revolver is time well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My Bowen tuned .44 stainless four inch Blackhawk is compact, very accurate and more comfortable to shoot heavy magnums loads than much larger and heavier DA revolvers. The key to it being more comfortable is it rolls in your hand, dissipating recoil.
    I alluded to that in the 357 thread. For a given caliber or load, single actions are easier on the hand than DA revolvers. It sort of makes them geezer guns in that regard.

For a just plain fun shooter, a 357 Colt SAA with mild loads is way fun. At a cowboy shoot way long ago a lady let me shoot hers. She handed me a 100 rd box and said "shoot 'em up".

Watching Bob Edgar shoot rocks at several hundred yards, and making first round hits, all one handed with his 7 1/2' Colt 45 SAA, was somewhat inspirational.

User Tag List