Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why single action revolvers?

Why single action revolvers?

Other than shooting a few dozen rounds through my buddy's Blackhawk once, I'm totally ignorant about single action revolvers.

I accept that the double action revolver has a place in personal defense, hunting, and as a large caliber "woods" gun.

In this day and age are there any serious, practical applications where SA is the best tool for the job?

Cheers,
    David

Site Supporter
    Why does everything have to be serious?

One of my favorite guns is my Single Six Convertible. It will fire any .22 rim fire ammo I can find, and is just fun. You know, like when you were a kid, and did stuff just because you liked it? Like that. And it's my daughters absolute favorite. I'm not sure every application has to be serious.

Site Supporter
    If you need the absolute smallest usable gun available, I know of nothing smaller than a North American Arms single action revolver.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Everything in life doesn't have to be judged on it's tactical application. Some things can be enjoyed simply because they're cool, single action revolvers being one of them. That being said, hunting is really the only practical application where an SA revolver should be considered.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Arguably hunting. Blackhawk vs Redhawk, BH has lighter SA trigger, weighs a touch less, and is less expensive.

The Ruger's in particular are also beasts as far as what you can load. Everything from cowboy loads to nukes. I actually really like goofying around with single actions. Also, the folks who devote a lot of time to them are remarkable to watch. Like anything, they can be run well. A ton of bad folks got put in the dirt with them. I carried them a lot as fishing guns. Today, better alternatives exist, but they are still awfully neat guns. I also have a couple of snubs. One in particular was my "door answering" gun at my old house. I had special rounds made for it. Big heavy .45 Colt's running at 1000 FPS with black powder. It only took one round of test fire at a local indoor range for the screaming through the PA speaker from the owner of "cease fire, cease fire" as they trout something blew up. It is impressive as it not only produces a massive thunder cloud and a lightning strike, inside of a couple of yards....your "target" will be on fire. Your 9mm will not scare your opponent half to death and light them on fire.

So.....they are fun, they have great history, and personally....there is nothing better to watch Tombstone with than my Gary Reeder custom polished stainless Ruger Sheriff's Vaquero.

As far as tactical application...I am of the opinion that the hardcore Cowboy action shooters are probably best served by a gun they are able to run totally on auto pilot.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 07-23-2016 at 11:09 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I tend to carry single actions while dinking around in the woods, roaming the pasture at my parent's house, fishing or just playing. I have a short Blackhawk convertible .45 Colt/.45 ACP which is one of my favorite play things, along with a couple of Colt New Frontiers in .44 Special.

Single actions are play things for me. Having said that, I'd not shit my pants if I ran into nasty people carrying one. A 250 gr. .45 caliber bullet at 900 - 1000 fps isn't something I want to take a hit from.

Site Supporter
    Wasn't there some hardcore SF dude who made mention of the fact that he'd "plinked" a fair number of dudes to death?

Sure the reloads a bit slow and you have to thumb cock it, but if I'm touching off a heavy loaded 44 or anything bigger, a SA revolver tends to roll up in my hand, rather than explode into my palm.

Also, they're pretty accurate and cool as hell. If you don't think a casehardened SAA in 45LC or 44-40 is cool then we can't be friends.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Wasn't there some hardcore SF dude who made mention of the fact that he'd "plinked" a fair number of dudes to death?
    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    I'm sure he's not he guy you're speaking of, but I have a cousin who is a VN 5th SFG vet who used a personal Super Blackhawk in a couple terminal altercations during his visit to SE Asia. Wouldn't have been my choice, but it served him just swimmingly.
    It was still relatively common to see Peacemakers in LE use here in Texas well into the 40s & 50s.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 07-23-2016 at 01:35 PM.

Some guy named "Hamer" killed bad guys like the plague with "Old Lucky".....bonus points because it was engraved.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List