Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Why single action revolvers?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    If it's all you have - of course use it. But there's another case to be made. I've known a number of people who have a safe full of modern guns but for years they've been caught up in the Cowboy Action Shooting game. It's what they do on weekends, either competing or practicing. A single action is the gun their hands, arms, and heads are aligned with.
    I had an acquaintance, years back, whose daughters were Cowboy Mounted Shooters (she and her husband had been). I'd bet that they'd be pretty competent with one in a fight.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    This reminds of the old debates of DOS folks vs. GUI computer users. Then, every once in awhile, a person pops up arguing for black powder carry.

I used to drive stick through three cars over many years. My knees got cranky, went to an automatic - works for me.

There's no real advantage except for some very specialized circumstances. I sold my single action gun.

Site Supporter
    I like my single action revolvers. Not everything has to be super practical. My single actions are for fun. They remind me of western movies. Best reason of all? My teenage son thinks they are cool.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    This reminds of the old debates of DOS folks vs. GUI computer users. Then, every once in awhile, a person pops up arguing for black powder carry.
    Not sure whether you were specifically referring to DB's comment on page 1 of the thread, but we have it covered here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I also have a couple of snubs. One in particular was my "door answering" gun at my old house. I had special rounds made for it. Big heavy .45 Colt's running at 1000 FPS with black powder. It only took one round of test fire at a local indoor range for the screaming through the PA speaker from the owner of "cease fire, cease fire" as they trout something blew up. It is impressive as it not only produces a massive thunder cloud and a lightning strike, inside of a couple of yards....your "target" will be on fire. Your 9mm will not scare your opponent half to death and light them on fire.

So.....they are fun, they have great history, and personally....there is nothing better to watch Tombstone with than my Gary Reeder custom polished stainless Ruger Sheriff's Vaquero.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I like my single action revolvers. Not everything has to be super practical. My single actions are for fun. They remind me of western movies. Best reason of all? My teenage son thinks they are cool.
    My sons 2. Im watching him throw rocks into the woods in my back yard right now. I pray his teenage years are him begging me for ammo so we can go shoot single actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    One in particular was my "door answering" gun at my old house. I had special rounds made for it. Big heavy .45 Colt's running at 1000 FPS with black powder. It only took one round of test fire at a local indoor range for the screaming through the PA speaker from the owner of "cease fire, cease fire" as they trout something blew up. It is impressive as it not only produces a massive thunder cloud and a lightning strike, inside of a couple of yards....your "target" will be on fire. Your 9mm will not scare your opponent half to death and light them on fire
    I’m dying over here...

I’ve got a similar story about a buddy who touched off a full house .45-120 BP load out of his Pedersoli Sharps at a black rifle get together at an outdoor range. The line went silent for about 10 seconds as they tried to figure out whose rifle let go.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    That really is the best reason. One of my most important shooting tasks right now is making sure that both of my kids learns that shooting is not only necessary, but fun, and that they continue to enjoy it well into their adulthood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It's a training issue and a hardware issue. A cocked single action is simply easier to unintentionally discharge. I don't think it can be intelligently argued that it isn't. I get that "real deal" single action shooters will say "hammer management" is the answer, and I'm sure that's true. I think any hammer that has to be lowered manually is more prone to an unintended discharge than a decocking lever used to drop a hammer. Again, I don't think it can be intelligently argued otherwise.

Training can reduce, and greatly at that, the risk. It can never make it zero. So, yes it's a training issue but one that's exacerbated by the hardware's limitations. I'm sure there are a hand full of experienced and well trained folks that make that risk infinitesimal. I'm also sure that the number of gun owners, particularly "...those who have only recently seen the need to own defensive firearms" who are going to do realistic stress testing of proper weapon handling during an adrenaline dump is essentially zero.

Romanticism aside, there's little to no reason for the vast majority of people to choose a single action over a double action revolver or various pistols.
    Years ago I went round and round with a parent that didn't like our Hunter Ed class recommendation that older lever action rifles were not a good idea for new young shooters due to the possibility of ND's while lowering the hammer. It got bad enough that he said he'd never allow another of kids to take a class again if we didn't back off. A year later his 8 y.o. shot a hole through his new Dodge truck while trying to lower the hammer on loaded 94 on a rainy day. He apologized shortly thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Why does everything have to be serious?
    They’re fun. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Years ago I went round and round with a parent that didn't like our Hunter Ed class recommendation that older lever action rifles were not a good idea for new young shooters due to the possibility of ND's while lowering the hammer. It got bad enough that he said he'd never allow another of kids to take a class again if we didn't back off. A year later his 8 y.o. shot a hole through his new Dodge truck while trying to lower the hammer on loaded 94 on a rainy day. He apologized shortly thereafter.
    I was 14 or 15 and getting ready to go hunting behind my house.

I loaded up my Marlin 444 and had the rifle resting on the arms of a chairs. I went to lower the hammer and BOOM!

The angle hit the fire place brick work and ricocheted into the bottom of a sliding glass door. It didn't shatter but spiderwebbed the glass (and continued to spread over the next week untill a door was slammed and it shattered to the floor.)

User Tag List