Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shoot or No Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    I think the first thing he should've done is dial 911, after noticing he was being pursued, and get the good guys rolling.
    Pulling over for someone that's road raging checks both "Stupid Things" and "Stupid People" boxes.

That video wreaks of being staged. Guy was really chill for what was going on. Just felt staged.

To answer the question though yea I would have shot him. Any time I've ever had a "road rage" incident I always go ahead and unholster the gun and stick it under my leg in case things get really weird really quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's staged. If you read the article, and the reddit thread, it appears to be legit.

Definitely qualifies for a use of deadly force, no question.

A better idea is to not let someone pull up to you like that in the first place. *

*If you haven't been to a counter-terrorism driving course, it's loads of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    To answer the question though yea I would have shot him. Any time I've ever had a "road rage" incident I always go ahead and unholster the gun and stick it under my leg in case things get really weird really quick.
    From what I've learned, this is pretty much universally regarded as a bad idea because of the high probability of you losing your gun. See the 1986 FBI shootout.

If you can't draw while seated, that's what you need to fix.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-24-2016 at 08:54 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    From what I've learned, this is pretty much universally regarded as a bad idea because of the high probability of you losing your gun. See the 1986 FBI shootout.

I can't draw as fast seated as I can retrieve a gun under the thigh. I am also aware of the possibility of losing a gun under my thigh. My response was to take my ankle gun out, which can be drawn in the car without much telegraphing, and leave my duty gun on my belt. If I do lose it, I'm just down a BUG.

Now I've got a locking center console, I can just leave a 3" revolver in the locking console, unlock it, and open the lid if things are sketchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post

Any time I've ever had a "road rage" incident I always go ahead and unholster the gun and stick it under my leg in case things get really weird really quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Definitely this! It's easy for your pistol to get knocked loose if you have to brake or maneuver suddenly, much less bump cars. I'm personally aware of a couple of shootings at my old agency where guys drew and fired through glass, ending the event.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I can't draw as fast seated as I can retrieve a gun under the thigh. I am also aware of the possibility of losing a gun under my thigh. My response was to take my ankle gun out, which can be drawn in the car without much telegraphing, and leave my duty gun on my belt. If I do lose it, I'm just down a BUG.

Now I've got a locking center console, I can just leave a 3" revolver in the locking console, unlock it, and open the lid if things are sketchy.
    I wouldn't have a problem with a spare pistol under my thigh, but wouldn't do it with my only pistol.

Site Supporter
    I'd most likely try and flee, like the fellow in the video.
    If he cam back again and did what he did in the video. If I were driving my own vehicle I'd probably just push him around a bit, then flee.

I think you would be justified shooting or running him over.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

re: drawing guns while driving and/or while seated in a vehicle.

Having done this more times than I care to remember and having made contact with numerous persons from this position, sometimes from a still moving position to an abrupt stop. I have found that always having positive control of your firearm at all times is the best course of action.

From the seated position in a vehicle:

* If you draw your gun, keep it in your strong hand and point it towards the threat - tip on concept - this will give you an automatic "don't shoot or muzzle youself" concept at work.

* If you drew your gun, that means someone is getting very close to crossing your personal shoot threshold. Which means some other things need to be happening or need to have happened:

** Your safety belt needs to be completely off. If you believe you about to be in an accident and you absolutely require your gun to be drawn for tactical reasons, then you should have a tactical solution to having your seat belt on and removal of which directly following the collision with your gun drawn - better reason to have a positive grip on the pistol.

** unlock your doors and roll down your windows - sometimes car doors freeze in the position they are in during a collision and safety glass all over you and your hands sucks at the beginning of a gunfight.

** turn your radio off and if you already made the decision to go big, dial 911, put it on speaker and in the front of your dash (since it will fly there anyway after the collision - better than the floor board like in the historic fbi shoot out because that's where everything goes if its not bolted down or secured)

*** re: 911 calling - if you don't know yet and can do so, turn your camera on, lock it to the record function and put it into a shirt pocket which will catch everything - this is where a car DVR is invaluable. Calling 911 and giving your exact location is a very good tool since backup or a solution is coming.

**** This is also instantly discover-able evidence so everything you say can and will be used in court. This may be a double-edged sword as a lot of times people are on auto-pilot in these situations. You control what the first bits of information are here by doing this, so telling them where you are, and why you called - because you are scared that someone is trying to hurt you - is probably the best course of action.

** If you can stop safely, once your car goes into park your door should be being opened. If you already drew this is difficult to do without practice so maybe practice it? Some will teach to pop the door slightly before putting the car in park.

** Cars are bullet magnets, get out of it the moment it stops moving.

** Cars are also giant missiles which can and should be used as weapons if required.

** re: shooting from inside a car to the outside threat through front windshield - always add an inch or so to your POA.

Just some stuff of the top of my head i'll add more as I remember more.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

To much to quote but I feel as though there is a lot f very good advice coming out in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List