View Poll Results: When pulling someone over, do you want him to announce he is armed?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want to know you have a weapon.

9 31.03%
  • No, unless there is a specific reason it is relevant, I prefer not to know.

5 17.24%
  • Don't care.

15 51.72%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Those in LE: If you pull someone over, do you prefer he announce his firearm or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sharp View Post
    I would say he should probably re-visit his academy instruction since every academy I know of teaches cadets that there is always at least one gun on a call, the officers. You're also taught to expect everyone to be armed, and handle the call as such. So getting amped up because someone told you there's a gun in the mix is like getting amped up because you actually got punched in the face in a boxing gym. What the hell did you expect to happen, act like you've been here before...
    He seemed pretty switched on and was an AI with a well-respected training company. I may have overemphasized how much he cared, it's been a few years since the interaction. All that said, everything you're saying makes total sense to me.

Interesting to me that it seems everyone so far is in the 'I don't care camp' about the gun, but is reiterates other aspects (hands on wheel, windows open, etc). Would not have guessed that, thought it'd go heavy one way or another.

In my state you must notify me of having a concealed firearm. Most of the time I'll ask where it's at and just tell them don't show me yours and I won't show you mine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No care.

Consolation prize for telling me though, never gave a ticket to a ccw holder....not that I am in the business of writing them.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I don't care.

If someone does notify me I'll ask where it's at, and instruct them not to reach towards it. Otherwise its business as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    No care.

Consolation prize for telling me though, never gave a ticket to a ccw holder....not that I am in the business of writing them.
    I found my ticket book when I went back to the road to pick up Sgt. Last citation was written in 01/12...

JR1572

As previously stated, NC is a must notify state. That said most of the time I already know if they have a permit because our software notifies us if they have one once we run their license. Specifically, I run every tag before I exit the car. NC has associated each person drivers license number with their regiatrations. Our software automatically runs their driver license number once we run the tag.

This isn't the case with out of state folks as we dont get that kind of info usually when we run a license. If they dont notify and I Find out I just educate them on NC law and send them on their way.

Its a non-issue for me...and I write a helluva lot of tickets.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 07-23-2016 at 06:33 AM.

Interesting thread.

I had always believed that it was better, if stopped, to simply sit still in the driver's seat rather than reaching over to the glove compartment (to gather registration and proof of insurance) as officer approaches the vehicle----seems to me that such reaching activity might be viewed as hiding something....or getting something other than credentials. I thought it was better to just do not a damn thing other than lower my window and await instruction from officer. I haven't been stopped in almost 20 years, and I don't expect to be stopped going forward, but I now have a better understanding of preferred driver behavior if ever stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by JR1572 View Post
    I found my ticket book when I went back to the road to pick up Sgt. Last citation was written in 01/12...

JR1572
    We have to give back our books every year and get new ones...I have a book that was issued in 2009....lol
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I'd prefer to know, just so I don't get surprised if I notice you carrying. Good cops are pretty good about spotting concealed weapons. Depending on where in the country you are, most cops are not worried about a legally licensed carrier. It's the folks carrying illegally that pose the threat. If you let me know you are carrying legally, then I know you have passed a background and are likely not a threat.

If you are a legally licensed carrier, my response would have been leave it in the holster, or wherever it is, and we would conclude our business and move on. Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by LSP552; 07-23-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: should have read spotting not stopping

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    There's no "I don't care" option, but I don't care UNLESS it's somewhere you're going to reach. Don't surprise me with it. If your Glock 30 sits on top of your registration, tell me before you open your glove box or you're likely to get out of the car at gunpoint. Side note, don't store your Glock 30 on top of your registration.

Folks with a handgun license who told me they were carrying went like this:

Guy: I've got a license and a gun.
    Me: Where's the gun?
    Guy: (location of gun)
    Me: Don't reach there. License and registration, pls.

If dark, I asked them to turn their dome light on and leave their hands on the wheel. I then conducted it like any other traffic stop.
    This.

User Tag List