View Poll Results: When pulling someone over, do you want him to announce he is armed?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want to know you have a weapon.

9 31.03%
  • No, unless there is a specific reason it is relevant, I prefer not to know.

5 17.24%
  • Don't care.

15 51.72%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Those in LE: If you pull someone over, do you prefer he announce his firearm or not?

Those in LE: If you pull someone over, do you prefer he announce his firearm or not?

Posted this on TPI, but perhaps will get more of a response here as this board tends to be a bit more active.

Have seen a bunch of posts on FB/etc lately (often from questionable sources IMO) about the preferred protocol for CCWers when they are pulled over for a routine traffic stops, mostly all arguing you should straight out tell the officer you are armed.

I have had several cops (one who was instructing a tactics class) tell me that, if he is pulling someone over for a minor violation, he doesn't WANT to know I have a weapon (assuming it's well concealed) because it changes the whole dynamic of the interaction and he will be on edge worrying things will go south. The guy who felt strongest about this was actually a black officer who admitted he was regularly pulled over himself and had some scary situations stemming from being instructed to do things with his weapon by an officer (who did not initially realize he was a cop) that he thought might get him shot if he complied.

Since I know there are many here who have to deal with this, I'm curious how many are in his camp vs wanting to be told someone is carrying during routine stops. I have a poll attached, but would be interested to know how you answered and any extra context on why you feel that way.

(Side note: I'm in Washington where there is no duty to inform, unless asked. I realize this differs state to state.)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    There's no "I don't care" option, but I don't care UNLESS it's somewhere you're going to reach. Don't surprise me with it. If your Glock 30 sits on top of your registration, tell me before you open your glove box or you're likely to get out of the car at gunpoint. Side note, don't store your Glock 30 on top of your registration.

Folks with a handgun license who told me they were carrying went like this:

Guy: I've got a license and a gun.
    Me: Where's the gun?
    Guy: (location of gun)
    Me: Don't reach there. License and registration, pls.

If dark, I asked them to turn their dome light on and leave their hands on the wheel. I then conducted it like any other traffic stop.

Thanks for the answer.

I should have included 'Don't care' but I can't seem to edit the poll unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by zacbol View Post
    ...I have had several cops (one who was instructing a tactics class) tell me that, if he is pulling someone over for a minor violation, he doesn't WANT to know I have a weapon (assuming it's well concealed) because it changes the whole dynamic of the interaction and he will be on edge worrying things will go south....
    I would say he should probably re-visit his academy instruction since every academy I know of teaches cadets that there is always at least one gun on a call, the officers. You're also taught to expect everyone to be armed, and handle the call as such. So getting amped up because someone told you there's a gun in the mix is like getting amped up because you actually got punched in the face in a boxing gym. What the hell did you expect to happen, act like you've been here before...

I don't care if they tell me or not so I'm with BehindBlueI's in the don't care category. I treat everyone as if I don't have a crystal ball, I can't know what's going on in their head or if they're armed so I execute sound tactics, and don't let them ever move into a position where they would have a reason to assume they could pull off anything with malevolent intent against me. I'm not a dick, I'm just not going to be out maneuvered. It's all about maintaining superior position, if I'm in superior position it won't matter if he's armed. If he's a good guy, it definitely won't matter. If he's a bad guy, I'm stacking the odds in my favor for fighting back from a the time I lose having to wait to react to his actions.
    Last edited by Paul Sharp; 07-22-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Those in LE: If you pull someone over, do you prefer he announce his firearm or not?

I assume everyone is armed at all times.

Every officer is different but...

1) interior lights on, windows down

2) vehicle in park and ignition off

3) have your drivers license, registration, insurance and CWP/CHL/CCL all together in a bundle and in hand, while having your hands on the steering wheel.

When the officer asks for your DL, Reg and Insurance, they're right there and avoids figeting around into unknown areas for us.

After handing your info over, there is an opportunity to explain there is a firearm in the vehicle and its location, if you feel the need, or if you're required by your state to disclose you are carrying to the officer.

Please don't interrupt the officer, and choose your words carefully and say them calmly . "Officer I am carrying a firearm in a holster at my ___ o'clock position" or "I want to let you know I have a firearm in the vehicle in the ______" is way better than being on edge, twitchy and stating "I've got a gun".

4) other occupants hands need to be in open view.

5) If you have to reach for anything, tell me what you need to get and its location before you start scrambling around for it.

6) don't be offended if you're with a carload of people and we ask you to step out and talk to you between our cars. Again every officer is different and will have different tactics and styles of conducting business.

Also on that note, please don't attempt to open the door or step out of the vehicle unless asked. Not only can it be seen as a step towards a fight, it's dangerous for the officer and for you. Being roadside is nothing to play with.

6) as the officer re-approaches, everyone's hands need to be back in plain view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SamuelBLong; 07-22-2016 at 06:37 PM.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

My understanding is that LEOs will know you've got a CHL when they run your plates.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Not all states have LTCF info attached to vehicle registration or operator's license.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Not all states have LTCF info attached to vehicle registration or operator's license.

Nor should you assume that computer systems and networks are up and running 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SamuelBLong; 07-22-2016 at 06:40 PM.
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    My understanding is that LEOs will know you've got a CHL when they run your plates.
    Sometimes. I would hope most guys on this board or TPI are stopping bangers so those cars are going to be rentals driven by their daddy-issues ho of the moment so there won't be any info attached to the 28. If they are actually driving a car registered to them there will be so many notes attached it will make your eyes cross to scroll through it all, and they won't be eligible to legally own a weapon so that wouldn't be attached.

Site Supporter
    Some states, including mine, require notification as soon as practical.

My usual policy with permit holders has always been, "Don't show me yours and I won't show you mine."

User Tag List