Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Caregiver shot by Miami Police

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It's SOP to cuff anyone you've shot till you figure out for sure who they are and what is going on.

This whole thing is still a huge ball of suck and fail though.
    Why would he cuff the man he was allegedly trying to save....and then after shooting him?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    Is it SOP to handcuff the victim that you're trying to save, after accidentally shooting him?
    Remember your mind is a committee. To greatly over-simplify things but to illustrate the point, think of it like this:

If you sat the guy down at a table under no stress and asked him "think of a scenario where you shot someone you were trying to rescue. Would you handcuff that person?" He'd say no, he'd attempt to render aid. However, our brains have limited capacity for conscious thought and decision making. If conscious thought is full or survival instinct says you don't have time for conscious thought before a decision must be made, decision making reverts to subconscious areas of the brain, ranging from ingrained trained responses to primal fight/freeze/flee.

Sort of like in the movie Inside Out:
    If the conscious thought brain-dude is full of "THREAT!!! oh shit oh shit oh shit I'm making the news I'm getting sued oh shit oh shit" then next up is trained response with no conscious input. Trained response brain-dude probably said something like "well, we shot that dude. He must have been a threat. We handcuff threats. Body, let's go handcuff that dude" and conscious thought is just going along for the ride until he calms down and takes over decision making again.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It's SOP to cuff anyone you've shot till you figure out for sure who they are and what is going on.

This whole thing is still a huge ball of suck and fail though.
    Also, many SOP's require a secure scene to get EMS in. Everyone cuffed means they can get aid in faster. Also, he may have been cuffed by someone else who figures the other officer must have shot him for some reason. Obviously, there was some massive communication failures between officers.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Also, many SOP's require a secure scene to get EMS in. Everyone cuffed means they can get aid in faster. Also, he may have been cuffed by someone else who figures the other officer must have shot him for some reason. Obviously, there was some massive communication failures between officers.
    This ^^^^.

The police commander has been suspended without pay for giving "conflicting statements" to investigators.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5a815527b7c1

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...nsey-i-n614766

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/N...387961252.html

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/no...ooting-8621774

http://wsvn.com/news/local/demonstra...f-unarmed-man/

Sources said the commander, Hollant, went on the radio saying the man with autism was loading a weapon, which was the reason why Officer Aledda fired.

Unidentified female officer: “He has something in his hands. All units be cautioned, he has something in his hands.”

Unidentified female officer: “Verify that it looks like he is loading up his gun?”

Commander Hollant: “He is loading up his weapon.”

Unidentified female officer: “All units, use caution, the subject is now holding up his weapon.”

Unidentified male officer: “Units to the south, look out for crossfire.”

However, minutes later, someone said over the radio that the weapon was actually a toy.

Unidentified male officer: “The person advised that it is a toy. It is a toy car.”

According to 7News sources, there are a lot of angry police officers in Miami, Friday, because they believe Officer Aledda is being wrongly punished. These police officers believe the shooting is the fault of Commander Hollant who wrongly said the man with autism was loading a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Here is an interesting analysis by reasonable experts on recent controversial shootings. I note that at least two of the participants are police friendly. Don't know the others.

Saw Klinger speak, Lim is a well known survivor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...aborative_1_na
    Very interesting. Based off their statements, It seems all those shootings could have been avoided and the officers made some critical tactical errors when approaching the suspects. This is very eye opening as a ccw holder. Proper training could prevent events from ever occurring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Remember your mind is a committee. To greatly over-simplify things but to illustrate the point, think of it like this:

If you sat the guy down at a table under no stress and asked him "think of a scenario where you shot someone you were trying to rescue. Would you handcuff that person?" He'd say no, he'd attempt to render aid. However, our brains have limited capacity for conscious thought and decision making. If conscious thought is full or survival instinct says you don't have time for conscious thought before a decision must be made, decision making reverts to subconscious areas of the brain, ranging from ingrained trained responses to primal fight/freeze/flee.

Sort of like in the movie Inside Out:
    If the conscious thought brain-dude is full of "THREAT!!! oh shit oh shit oh shit I'm making the news I'm getting sued oh shit oh shit" then next up is trained response with no conscious input. Trained response brain-dude probably said something like "well, we shot that dude. He must have been a threat. We handcuff threats. Body, let's go handcuff that dude" and conscious thought is just going along for the ride until he calms down and takes over decision making again.
    I like your oversimplification example, and it makes a lot of sense.

According to 7News sources, there are a lot of angry police officers in Miami, Friday, because they believe Officer Aledda is being wrongly punished. These police officers believe the shooting is the fault of Commander Hollant who wrongly said the man with autism was loading a gun.
    Sounds like they're circling the blue wagons. The Commander may have screwed up, but it was Aledda's finger on the trigger and his eyes looking down the barrel identifying the supposed threat. Time to fall on your sword and plead for mercy, not make excuses.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Sounds like they're circling the blue wagons. The Commander may have screwed up, but it was Aledda's finger on the trigger and his eyes looking down the barrel identifying the supposed threat. Time to fall on your sword and plead for mercy, not make excuses.
    Come on......we know Commanders can't make mistakes.....(insert BIG sarcasm emoji thingy)

I won't even comment on the marksmanship of a SWAT guy....

There's SWAT and then there's SWAT. I was once one of the founding members of a real SWAT team. A bunch of gear and cool clothes doesn't make a team. Sometimes the term should really be reserved for killing flies.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List