Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Caregiver shot by Miami Police

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    If true, this quote is pretty damning:
    ND ?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I am thankful that he was just injured. He was released from the hospital pretty quickly so probably no major ortho trauma. If one of those 5.56 rounds had skipped into his abdomen/thorax there would be more outrage than this country is prepared to handle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I am thankful that he was just injured. He was released from the hospital pretty quickly so probably no major ortho trauma. If one of those 5.56 rounds had skipped into his abdomen/thorax there would be more outrage than this country is prepared to handle.
    Actually this is why I'm wondering if it was, in fact, a rifle round.

Mild injuries could come from secondary projectiles. Also, the story I saw quoted the shootee as saying "it stung" or words to that effect.

My baseless speculation is AR off off safe with the finger on trigger. Multiple shots could be a series of startles. Startle response actually increases as the degree of stimulus increases. An unexpected AR discharge would be a pretty significant stimuli.
    Last edited by John Hearne; 07-21-2016 at 03:37 PM.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Actually this is why I'm wondering if it was, in fact, a rifle round.
    If it passed through his calf or something there might not have been enough tissue for the bullet to tumble/expand/etc ("through and through").

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    The video that I've seen cuts out right before he was shot. That's a little odd, but I'm not going to make a conspiracy theory off it. At any rate, if the shooter fired three times at what is alleged to be a stationary target, missed completely twice, and only managed to strike him once in the leg.... None of that sounds good. I hope they have dash cam / body cam footage.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

ND on a happy switch? May account for 3 rounds.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

ooops, negligent post on my part.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 07-21-2016 at 05:05 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I completely believe it. I almost added, "not that that precludes it being an ND." A loosely held weapon bounce firing, for example.
    Actually, as pointed out by John Hearne, multiple startles. Most didn't know they did it, and tend to be the exact same folks who will also startle shoot at hearing the shot. I spent a majority of my time with our patrol folks on the "Gun handling" part of the equation as it is the part of the triangle that they are doing all the time and around the public. It is a part of the equation horribly under trained, especially in agencies that have cut way back on firearms training, and only work on basic marksmanship.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    It is a part of the equation horribly under trained, especially in agencies that have cut way back on firearms training, and only work on basic marksmanship.
    To be fair, it seems like there is a lot of work to be done in just improving that; though it does seem intuitive that gun handling and marksmanship ought to be taught at a 1:1 ratio.

User Tag List