Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIG Axe door beater

PIG Axe door beater

If your a patrol officer and you don't carry some basic entry tools in your trunk you are wrong. I scored this the other day to replace the sledgehammer in my trunk. It's much more versatile than a plain sledge and its grooved to allow you to mate it with a 36" Halligan tool making for an easy to deploy set. Bought it from the inventor/owner of the company who is a good dude and a local hose-dragger(fireman). It's not cheap, but nice things rarely are...

Videos please.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    If your a patrol officer and you don't carry some basic entry tools in your trunk you are wrong.
    Agreed.

I carry 36" bolt cutters. I used carry an 8lb sledge but never used it and it was retired to gym duty. I've gotten a lot use out of the bolt cutters. I've cut roller chains on apartment complex gates that didn't have a functioning override, some padlocks, a pair of broken handcuffs off a prisoner, and two santa cruz gun racks that were jammed closed.

Site Supporter
    I so want one! I have no use for one.

Would this be a good PF give away?

We tested them out pretty extensively for about 6 months during training. Our plan was to put them on the rigs. Of course us fire guys use it for different things than you would but we ended up going back to a flat head axe instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

If I was chopping holes in roofs and stuff I'd probably go with an axe as well. We breach doors often and the sledge is my go to. Often when we breach we are doing 4-5 Doors at a time because we have a lot of apartments that have individually rented bedrooms that are locked. I've found the sledge is more effective than a foot.

I've been looking for a good pair of bolt cutters...keep forgetting to put them on the list. Can anyone recommend a good brand?
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 07-16-2016 at 02:05 PM.

I have a set of Kleins in the back of the patrol car. The FD was throwing them away! The jaws were nicked a bit but they still work. The jaws are replaceable. I have in my POV a set of HK Porter bolt cutters I got at Ace Hardware. Not as heavy duty but workable and less expensive

I have Rigid bolt cutters. If I was going to do it over I'd get 30" or even 24". The reason that I got 36" cutters was to cut hardened steel shackles on locks. Once someone told me and the light clicked on, it's much easier to cut the lock body, hasp or chain than the shackle, and the 36" turned out to be overkill.

Been carrying a Stanley FUBAR, bolt cutters, and a short sledge - in the patrol car - for several years now. The combo works.

...that "piglet" is right on the money on what I need on my daily patrol.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List