Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Info on FBI study regarding trigger weight versus length of pull....

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I still have my FBI Firearms Instructor manual from around 2005ish. Would this be in the right time frame?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    They adopted Glocks in 1996 so unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by jthhapkido View Post
    StraitR, those quotes from Todd are _exactly_ the study I'm looking for, and his commentary on their conclusions (why length may make a difference where weight might not) agrees with my personal opinion about it...

Thank you for finding those specific quotes from him. First time I discussed this with him was in a comment thread on one of his posts on the P-T.com page, and I've been looking for that study ever since. People periodically post that they've read it, and every time I'm like "PLEASE give me a link to it!"

...I wish we could find that study!
    I'd really like to read it too. I've tried to find it, no luck so far, but I'll keep looking.

Ha! The same thing happens in construction. Everyone from upper management to the little foreman is all "We do everything as safe as possible!!", right up until it costs 'em money, then they change whatever they need to get it done however they want.

I have to confess, I was pretty confident that I would find this study inside of a half hour. As it turns out, it's actually pretty difficult to find. I'm not saying it can't be found, but it's certainly going to be challenging, and here's why...

Best I can tell, the study we're looking for appears to be testing done by the FBI Academy Firearms Training Unit in 1988. It was done on a wide variety of semi-automatic firearms which ultimately condemned Glock by name due to it's short and light trigger pull. For those of us that were alive in 1988, we can tell you whippershappers that believe it or not, there was no internet . I guess Al Gore hadn't got around to inventing it yet, but we survived thanks to Die Hard, Metallica, and Kelly Bundy.

So, two things are going to pose a challenge if this is the study being referenced. 1) As Todd pointed out, the FBI eventually transitioned to Glocks so materials condemning them for being unsafe were probably buried or redacted. And 2) Predating the internet, it's unlikely that a digital copy exists. If we happen to find it, it will most likely be a scan of a hard copy. Finding someone still taking up space on their server for a scanned FBI study from 1988 may prove difficult.

And thanks to BT91 recommending a pretty good beer, I'm not exactly on my game right now. Alas, the search continues.
    Last edited by StraitR; 07-22-2016 at 07:28 PM.

I wonder if Tom Givens may have a copy of that manual laying around or know of someone who may have a copy. He's a master of arcane firearm related knowledge/data.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Lon,

I can't check that right now. I'm teaching in Wisconsin and all my reference materials are still boxed up in Florida from our move.

While longer travel makes logical sense, I have been surprised by enough things, that I would really want to see the detailed study to assess the methods and conclusions.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    While longer travel makes logical sense, I have been surprised by enough things, that I would really want to see the detailed study to assess the methods and conclusions.
    Based on Todd's comments, we can ascertain the following... The study predates the FBI's adoption of Glocks in 1998. They found longer trigger travel had a factor in safety. Turned around and issued Glocks to their SA's some years later. With that said, could there be more recent data to refute the study and support their decision to use SFA? I'd like to read it either way, but I'm curious if people think the study still relevant given the FBI's current/future sidearm choice?

I tend to subscribe to the longer trigger = increased safety generalization, just so my position is clear.
    Last edited by StraitR; 07-22-2016 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Based on Todd's comments, we can ascertain the following... The study predates the FBI's adoption of Glocks in 1998. They found longer trigger travel had a factor in safety. Turned around and issued Glocks to their SA's some years later. With that said, could there be more recent data to refute the study and support their decision to use SFA? I'd like to read it either way, but I'm curious if people think the study still relevant given the FBI's current/future sidearm choice?

I tend to subscribe to the longer trigger = increased safety generalization, just so my position is clear.
    As I said previously, common sense says longer = safer. However, FBI issues
    DA/SA pistols and reports they are safer, issues Glocks and study is gone, is almost worthless without seeing the study.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I do remember that Todd said that the startle response initiates a very strong muscle contraction (25 lbs?)
    which was much more than even heavy triggers. This was why heavy triggers did not help.

User Tag List