Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tikka T3 Lite .308

Tikka T3 Lite .308

How bad is the recoil on one of these? I've been reading about them for a few days now and some people make it sound horrendous because the rifle is so light.

I've shot a friend's Savage hunting rifle in 30-06. I'm not sure what the weight is but it's a pencil barrel with a plastic stock (it was one of the cheap ones gander mountain sells with a scope). That isn't all that bad, I can't believe the Tikka would be that much worse, if any would it?

I'm looking for kind of a do it all 308 bolt gun, and I'd like to keep the total package around $1000 or less. I'm okay with it not shooting 1/4" at 100 yards at that price point. Honestly 1.5" and under will make me happy, if it gets up around 2" that would make me crabby enough that I'd rather save more and get something better later.

This will be a range gun and a hunting gun, at least for now, so I get that means trade offs between either lugging around a heavy gun or dealing with a little more recoil on range days. My thoughts now are I'd rather deal with a little more recoil (because I didn't think 308 would be that bad), but if it's really horrendous I may reconsider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one in 30-06. The factory recoil pad is worthless. Limbsaver makes a drop in pad that makes the rifle tolerable for 20 rounds from the bench.

Person dependent, but my wife hunts with a Tikka T3 Lite in .308 and has no problem with the recoil. I also found it to be a soft shooter for me as well. If it is a problem Limbsaver makes a replacement recoil pad for them . Accuracy wise its hovered right at a inch at 100 yards with 165gr Nosler AccuBonds.

I have a buddy with one, although he hasn't shot it yet. Wonder if he is worried about the recoil?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I've been eyeballing a used .270 at the LGS, not that I need another .270. I did shoot one of these in .308 last year; didn't notice anything unusual regarding recoil, but I'm not recoil-sensitive. The guy who owned the rifle was shooting Hornady TAP, I think 155's, and it was easily MOA at 200. Very fast action with that short bolt lift and great trigger. They seem to me like a great value.

I have a t3 light compact in .308. It's not too bad at all. I have owned and been around several tikkas and they all shoot sub moa at 100 yds. They are by far the best bang for the buck in hunting rifles in my opinion.

I had one for awhile. I didn't think the recoil was anything to worry about. I suppose it would depend on how much range time you feel like you need to put in, versus how much time you're planning on humping it in the mountains. Ounces lead to pounds and pounds lead to pain, but if you're not humping it up into the alpine chasing goats, if you notice a couple extra pounds on your rifle it's probably a fitness issue rather than an equipment issue. If you're planning on putting thousands of rounds in at the range, I suppose your shoulder might appreciate something a little heavier. If you're planning on doing multi-day alpine hunts, I'd say go for it, best rifle around for the price.

My do it all bolt gun is a Sako Finnlight. It has more Finnish hunting magic in it so it costs a lot more. If you want less Finnish hunting magic the T3 is essentially the same rifle, but don't complain when you can't teleport behind the deer when the wind shifts.

I have the Tikka 308 and to me it kicks less than my Remington 270.

Like others have said if it were to bother you add the Limbsaver .

I've had several T3's including one .308 and found them to be great rifles. I don't think a T3 in .308 recoils any harsher than any other .308 hunting rifle but the limbsaver pad will help. Better yet, replace the stock with a B&C or something nicer for an all around better experience.

The Tikka CTR weighs a bit more so it should soak up more recoil if you don't mind a little added weight. For what the CTR is intended for its still reasonably light although a good bit more expensive than the T3. Either way you can't lose and the resale is my area is always strong for these rifles.

My daughter (13)who at the time the above pics were taken (last December) weighed about 85ish pounds soaking wet. She shot this big cow elk at a lasered 375 yards using her personal Tikka T3, that has had the barrel trimmed back to 20"s and a brake installed.

The previous season she was 12 years old and shot her first deer with an un-braked Tikka T3 with a custom 6mm Remington barrel screwed on. According to her, she cannot tell any difference between the unbraked 6mm Remington and the .308 with a brake. She says with plugs AND muffs, she just likes to hear the DING of the bullet hitting the steel!

I have been using Tikka .308s for years and while stout loads have a bit of recoil, it is nothing to get excited about.

A good limbsaver recoil pad will help. A great muzzle brake will make a world of difference. My favorite lightweight hunting rig is a 20" T3 .308 that does not have a brake though, and it has been putting elk and mule deer in the freezer pretty consistently.

I would LOVE to be able to go back in time and get back even 1/2 the money I have spent on the hunting rifle roulette.

I would get 2 T3s. One in .308, and another T3 in .300WM for longer ranges (though not really needed), drop both into McMillan stocks, top with Talley lightweight rings and Nightforce glass and be done.

User Tag List