Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The path to production GM

Not sure how much it will help but Mike Seeklander is offering his competition training book for free right now. It's not mentioned on the same level as the Stoeger stuff but I believe he is a grandmaster as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Book seems kinda cool. I'm still not sold on following someone else's plans. Any of you top shots have anything in that?
    i used to wannabe

If my main goal was to be a Production GM as quickly as possible, I would learn to shoot "like you are on crack" fast, and let the accuracy follow. I think it is easier to learn to be accurate than fast, and a commitment to accuracy can make learning to be fast very hard.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If my main goal was to be a Production GM as quickly as possible, I would learn to shoot "like you are on crack" fast, and let the accuracy follow. I think it is easier to learn to be accurate than fast, and a commitment to accuracy can make learning to be fast very hard.
    As a crack head who shoots fast this is good to here but have a hard time believing that.

Edit: GJM, I think? You read my journal. Am I making a mistake dialing it back? Should I continue blazing and see if accuracy catches up? End goal is world class GM. Like national titles and DVD's.
    Last edited by Luke; 07-20-2016 at 07:14 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    As a crack head who shoots fast this is good to here but have a hard time believing that.

Edit: GJM, I think? You read my journal. Am I making a mistake dialing it back? Should I continue blazing and see if accuracy catches up? End goal is world class GM. Like national titles and DVD's.
    Luke, beats me, I am just an A trying to progress.

I do know the way to make GM for most everyone is the classifier system, and that is very speed intensive. You can shoot 100 percent of the points on every classifier and still be a B or C.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm a fan of Steve Anderson's approach. Train speed ("Speed Mode") separately from accuracy ("Accuracy Mode"), and then shoot matches by simply seeing your sights and calling your shots ("Match Mode").
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You can shoot 100 percent of the points on every classifier and still be a B or C.
    Truth. I'm right in the middle of C class right now. My best classifier to date is 63.5% - it was all alphas on Mini-mart (CM99-21), but it took me a hair under 8.5 seconds. 10.62 or better HF is a GM run on that one. All alphas in 5.65 seconds does it, but so does 6 alpha, 6 charlie in 4.5 seconds. Gotta have serious speed either way, but if you've got a LOT of speed, you can get a little bit sloppy and still wind up with a good score.

Classifiers are draw, reload, and transition intensive. If your a seasoned shooter but have not benn exposed to USPSA classifiers I would suggest a lot of transition practice and learning to shoot with a semi to full target focus. Your more likely to see SHO and WHO on classifiers but only maybe %10. The way the system is designed it favors the shooter who shoots a ton of classifiers and pushes the edge on the classifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post

Luke,

I've heard more than one world class GM state that learning the accuracy component is much easier than trying to learn the speed. I know that flies in the face of the hive-mind ( ducks head) but there it is... I don't think "dialing it back" is at all the answer, FWIW. I also don't think accuracy will "catch up" without deliberate attention either. I think working the "modes" independently in training is likely the fastest way forward. And developing an excellent match mode based completely on your vision for game day.

Mind you this is all coming from an accuracy turtle who has been working hard the last few years to come to terms with the speed requirements of this sport.

t

EDIT: I was typing while Clusterfrack was posting. Yeah, what he said...
    Last edited by taadski; 07-20-2016 at 08:29 PM.

I like that man. How do you work accuracy and how do you work speed separately?
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List