Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The path to production GM

The path to production GM

I'll start by saying that I've never shot a USPSA match before. I've shot some 3gun, both outlaw and 3gn style, and some indoor GSSF matches, but that's really the extent of my formal competitive shooting. In wanting to focus more on developing pistol skill, I'm intrigued by the notion of shooting USPSA. From an equipment standpoint, I have a CR Speed belt, Safariland ALS holster, Comp-Tac mag pouches, and a stock Gen4 Glock 17 with Dawson FO chargers.

Due to my achievement-oriented nature, I want to classify as GM in production. Having never shot a classifier before, are there some other benchmarks I can look at to get a rough idea where I may fall in the field as I begin this process? Something like FAST score, The Test, or other benchmarks?
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

If I recall correctly, John Hearne tried to map different classifications against level of automaticity, with the feedback of many on the forum.

Name:  John-Hearne-performance-graph.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  56.5 KB

Site Supporter
    Work on SHO/WHO shooting as well as shooting whilst leaning around a barricade

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'd recommend shooting a couple matches before doing any goal setting. They have a bit of a different flavor than the shooting sports you mentioned trying.

But to answer your question, the best benchmarks for the respective USPSA classes are the classifiers themselves. Mind you, those scores aren't going to correlate directly to actual match performance necessarily, but that's another topic all together.

The classifiers vary a bunch in difficulty, often with no apparent rhyme or reason. But collectively, they're the barometer by which you're going to be measured within the classification system.

Print a few out, go set em up and see where your scores shake out. With the understanding that you'll be shooting them under pressure, in the middle of a match, one time for all the marbles, etc... when you're actually getting classified.

Here's a list of them:

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-classifier-list.php

Here's an online classifier calculator that's a good handy resource. If you plug in your hit factor (points accrued/time), it'll plot your percentage and class for you based on current classifier data.

https://azshooters.org

AZ shooter also has a killer IOS app that doesn't need cell signal to use, which is nice on some ranges. But what taadski said, if you wanna get classified as a GM all you have to do is shoot GM scores on those classifiers 6 times.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I'd recommend shooting a couple matches before doing any goal setting. They have a bit of a different flavor than the shooting sports you mentioned trying.

But to answer your question, the best benchmarks for the respective USPSA classes are the classifiers themselves. Mind you, those scores aren't going to correlate directly to actual match performance necessarily, but that's another topic all together.

The classifiers vary a bunch in difficulty, often with no apparent rhyme or reason. But collectively, they're the barometer by which you're going to be measured within the classification system.

Print a few out, go set em up and see where your scores shake out. With the understanding that you'll be shooting them under pressure, in the middle of a match, one time for all the marbles, etc... when you're actually getting classified.

Here's a list of them:

https://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-classifier-list.php

Here's an online classifier calculator that's a good handy resource. If you plug in your hit factor (points accrued/time), it'll plot your percentage and class for you based on current classifier data.

https://azshooters.org
    Excellent points by taadski.

All I would say is that I was lucky to squeak into B class as my initial classification. I think Luke's initial classification was A though, so that just goes to show that I am not special, and a dedicated person can accomplish a lot, very quickly. So maybe don't saddle yourself with either the likely disappointment of too-high expectations, or the yoke of low expectations. Have no expectations - seems like I have heard that before, and it's easier said than done.

The USPSA classification system has a lot of things wrong with it, but it still is one of the most meaningful measures of general pistol shooting skill. It does a great job of crushing the ego, as USPSA matches do in general.

Your attempt at prediction and comparison may be partly confounded if your non-USPSA drill scores were shot in a much less stressful environment than a match, which for many people is very stressful. And, a person can reach skill classifications in USPSA through different combinations of personal strengths and weaknesses as shooters. As a B, I was very accurate but lagged on time. There are plenty of Bs who are not as accurate, but considerably faster than I was. As you rise in the rankings, you must be both accurate and fast, and to a greater and greater degree. But at the lower and mid-level rankings, you can get there different ways.

Here's another attempt at a chart-of-comparative-ranks-and-skills that was kind of group-built a while back. Always good fodder for fun discussion!

[img]Skills_zps102fc8f7_03 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    If I recall correctly, John Hearne tried to map different classifications against level of automaticity, with the feedback of many on the forum.

Name:  John-Hearne-performance-graph.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  56.5 KB
    So basically, grandmasters are dang near automatic robots at shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

GMs have just automated a lot of the things (correctly mind you) that other people consciously have to think about. That's the ideal we all train for as far as fundamentals.

The top GMs are the automatic robot bullet dealing machines.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Others on this forum have endorsed Ben Stoeger's practice regime as a way to get to GM

I find even the Dry Fire par times to be a challenge

http://benstoegerproshop.com/3-book-...perback-books/

The path to production GM

This is all excellent advice. I'll add that my primary goal is to be competitive in my current class (A Production) and classifier skills alone won't make me a match winner. I spend much more time practicing USPSA competition skills than I do classifier skills. In fact, I'm worried I'll move up to M before I'm ready to compete at that level.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-20-2016 at 05:47 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

User Tag List