Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How to shoot like a navy SEAL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    It's mostly pretty legit. I would consider his advice to release the trigger only to the reset point, to be profoundly bad. But that's the only bad point.
    Dang, we were profoundly shooting the crap out of bad guys doing that. Now I feel really bad that it was wrong....or not.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Dang, we were profoundly shooting the crap out of bad guys doing that. Now I feel really bad that it was wrong....or not.
    Uh, okay. I profoundly shot the crap out of a shitload of paper and steel doing that, until I learned a better way. One that didn't have me short-stroking the trigger every so often.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Gah! Because of this thread I bought 6 Kindle books (at least Sajnog's was free).

This stinking site costs money even when it ain't guns/holsters/ammo/classes.....
    Slight thread drift. My wife was busy and she asked me to log onto Amazon and download a free kindle book for her. 20 minutes later, I had ordered a few odds and ends, and brand new exhaust for my Harley. Was she upset with me for buying some inexpensive random shit and a somewhat expensive exhaust system for my bike? No, not at all. What she was upset with me about was the fact that I had not downloaded her free book.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    Uh, okay. I profoundly shot the crap out of a shitload of paper and steel doing that, until I learned a better way. One that didn't have me short-stroking the trigger every so often.
    I'm not going to argue whether releasing the trigger only to the reset point is bad (if you shoot better not doing that, that's great for you and drive on), however, if you kept short stroking the trigger while riding to reset only, I would suggest you were doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I'm not going to argue whether releasing the trigger only to the reset point is bad (if you shoot better not doing that, that's great for you and drive on), however, if you kept short stroking the trigger while riding to reset only, I would suggest you were doing it wrong.
    Doing it wrong, how exactly? I'm genuinely curious here.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

If you released the trigger to the reset point, but you didn't release far enough and the gun didn't go off, I'd call that doing it wrong
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

"Riding the sear" is a common technique among competitive shooters.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I've always shot like that. What's the alternative, fully letting the trigger all the way out every shot regardless of difficulty?
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    If you released the trigger to the reset point, but you didn't release far enough and the gun didn't go off, I'd call that doing it wrong
    This, also....what kind of guns, and what kind of shooting? Book title and application. Like the unit referenced, we shot Mostly DA/SA SIGs and HK's. Later Glocks and LEM HK's as well. Application is also on what should be assessed human targets without a walk through. Of course I got the release to reset from the competitive side (Tommy Campbell) but found it worked well with stock DA/SA service pistols run by regular folks. It was heavily incorporated into the follow through with me when I trained with Larry Vickers. So, while there are other ways to maybe shoot steel and paper faster, I would suggest that "Profoundly bad" is a bit of an overreach.
    Also, for what it's worth, the only actual case of short stroking in a shooting we had was early into teaching trigger reset we had a guy who carried a P-220 on SWAT and a .45 Colt S&W Revolver in patrol get into a shooting and skipped every other cylinder with the revolver. It was obvious that his training with the DA/SA Sig became his go to. The dinosaurs of profoundly bad tend to teach this as a means to maintain total control of the trigger during very high stress conditions as opposed to running the reset only to the most minimal reset point. If you are short stroking regularly....you are obviously cutting it too close for what you can control. Also, are we talking speed gains that are faster than assessment speed? If so, again, not an apples to apples application.
    If the book was "Shoot like Rob Leatham", I would not even have commented. Actually, I debated for a day about commenting, and likely shouldn't have.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 07-20-2016 at 01:16 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Nevermind. Darryl preemptively answered all my questions.
    Last edited by Chance; 07-20-2016 at 01:18 PM.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List