Page 6 of 119 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer thread

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    One winter I drank 3 cases of it.
    Obviously we need to have a drinking night. I come from a family of beer drinkers. I think I may be the first to search out non German/local brews though
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 07-19-2016 at 08:55 PM.

Site Supporter
    I was spoiled when I got into beer, my buddy down the hall in college actually brewed in his on campus apartment, so I've always tended towards craft beers and the darker/heavier ones. A couple years ago I was blessed to move to what could be the beer capital of Alabama . . . Huntsville. 8 local breweries in the area and I have something I love about all of them. Yellowhammer Brewery is probably my favorite all around brewery.

My absolute favorites are actually the first two local brews I had when I moved to Huntsville:
    Yellowhammer Tobbaco Road Imperial Ale (seasonal available at the end of August each year), I could drink this all day.

Rocket Republic Coffee Cream Ale

I've been on an IPA and Extra Pale Ale kick recently (and usually do that during the summer), so I've been sampling the local IPAs. Had one recently from Straight To Ale (another local brewery) called "Hell or Rye Water" that was great and there's a microbrew that just started to open up that had the most flavorfull IPA I'd ever tasted.

During the fall/winter I switch to dark ales, porters and stouts. My favorites there are the Laika from STA, Nom Nom from Salty Nut Brewery, and Peanut Butter Pinstripe from Blue Pants Brewery.

If I go with a larger brewery, it's almost always a Yuengling. Luckily though, with the "Beer To Go" law that passed here the local breweries can sell growlers direct to consumers for offsite consumption . . . which means that there will almost always be a growler of Tobacco Road in the fridge on Fridays starting next month.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    In the summertime, Corona with salt and lime hits the spot as a stand alone adult beverage. If we're talking eatin' dinner beers, I tend to like the fancier, richer tasting beers. There's a nice little brewery in stumbling distance to my front door and they brew some good stuff. Blue Moon is another that tastes good outside in the summer.

We need a Whiskey/Bourbon/hard liquor thread next.
    You're in luck!
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....Sippin-Bourbon

Lots of great local brews in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area. I'm particularly fond of Surly Darkness.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    I've been on an IPA and Extra Pale Ale kick recently (and usually do that during the summer), so I've been sampling the local IPAs. Had one recently from Straight To Ale (another local brewery) called "Hell or Rye Water" that was great and there's a microbrew that just started to open up that had the most flavorfull IPA I'd ever tasted.
    Whenever I'm staying in Birmingham I usually find my way to Jim and Nicks. A few years back they had an local Rye IPA on tap that was amazing - I don't recall its name but it could very well have been the one you are talking about. For Rye IPAs, New Belgium (Fat Tire) make a delicious rendition as well.

We should talk about some of the worst beers. I remember they had this stuff in white cans with just the word 'Beer' in black letters printed on it. That was some awful stuff. When youre in your 20s, awful beer seemed better than no beer at all. But, I no longer follow that philosophy.

Seen on another site:

I must drink beer. Beer is the mind-killer.

Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.

When the beer has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

Bene Gesserit Litany for Beer

Personally, I haven't drank enough booze for "the little death that brings total obliteration" for some years.
    No point in doing it at home & I don't like to have my internal radar disconnected when out in public.

Good beer, scotch, bourbon, (and rum paired with a cigar more recently for me) is something I like to savor.

And besides, the beers I like are too filling and the scotches too spendy for getting blasted even if I wanted to !

Revolver seems to be local and the wife likes blood and honey. How do the cognoscenti feel about them?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    We should talk about some of the worst beers. I remember they had this stuff in white cans with just the word 'Beer' in black letters printed on it. That was some awful stuff. When youre in your 20s, awful beer seemed better than no beer at all. But, I no longer follow that philosophy.
    Oh yeah, teen years in the 90's. You could get twice as much of the "Beer" beer as the more notable name brands. When we had girls to impress or wanted to act like ballers we'd buy Red Dog and Icehouse. Memory lane....

User Tag List