Page 4 of 119 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer thread

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Funny you say that. IPAs are not my thing at all and most places are making it their thing...Sometimes makes me a little upset when I only have one or two options to try at a local brew
    Didn't used to like IPAs at all. Of late I do. Not sure if the style changed, or my tastes did.
    Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    Are others seeing the beer store business model of stocking hundreds of different craft brews and selling aggressively priced individual bottles?

It is a great way to try new beers, but it does get expensive quick!
    Here in my own little slice of suburbia: 99 Bottles. Same shopping center as Sportsman's Warehouse, Fatburger, and Jimmy Mac's Texas-style Roadhouse. (I'm notsure what a Texas-style Roadhouse is, but they have great burgers and ribs!)
    Last edited by Drang; 07-19-2016 at 05:31 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Funny you say that. IPAs are not my thing at all and most places are making it their thing...Sometimes makes me a little upset when I only have one or two options to try at a local brew
    As I mentioned earlier, I burned out on hoppy IPAs. I drink them only occasionally, as a change of pace. A nice one is a Belgian style IPA called 'Infidel' (great name) from Selkirk Abbey brewery in Post Falls, Idaho. There's the hoppiness, but its balanced with Belgian citrus notes. To me, that makes all the difference in the world. Excellent brew.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 07-19-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Oh, and for those of you who have beer toured in Germany a little, my ex, who was simultaneously a beer snob, a lush, and a germanophile, said that what she found in the CZ outclassed the best of the Fatherland.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Milk Stout Nitro remains my personal favorite if I'm drinking real beer. I usually stick to the low calorie American stuff, which is what I imagine chilled cow urine tasting like.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Oh, and for those of you who have beer toured in Germany a little, my ex, who was simultaneously a beer snob, a lush, and a germanophile, said that what she found in the CZ outclassed the best of the Fatherland.
    Blasphemy like that got Czech blitzkrieged in '39.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 07-19-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Someone asked me what the Czechs would do for foreign commerce when they ditched the commies, I said "Beer, beads*, and boomsticks."

*And I think my wife kept them going on beads alone...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Didn't used to like IPAs at all. Of late I do. Not sure if the style changed, or my tastes did.

Here in my on little slice of suburbia: 99 Bottles. Same shopping center as Sportsman's Warehouse, Fatburger, and Jimmy Mac's Texas-style Roadhouse. (I'm notsure what a Texas-style Roadhouse is, but they have great burgers and ribs!)
    Well maybe one day we will have a beer together. I'll bring a good stout and you try to convince me an IPA will be good

interesting, I would of never thought that.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I LOVE Beer. I'm really not a heavy drinker at all 1-2 beers a day and stop there. Don't touch anything harder than wine (except for company mandated Wild Turkey shots) and have to be careful with wines due to headaches the next day. But Beer is something that I truly enjoy. Funny thing is that I didn't drink much at all, even less so beer in my college days - then I deployed to Germany in 2002 and that changed me. It allowed me to try a bunch of different beer cheaply. Then when I returned home I took my new found appreciation and let it sprout. Though I work with a lot of guys who home brew, I have yet to go down that road. One good thing about my job is that it allows me to travel around the country and try all the local beers.

I am partial to Ambers and Browns. For Ambers my go to standards are Full Sail, Fat Tire (back in College it was the local microbrew of choice), and Alaska Amber, for browns I love Moose Drool. Shiner Bock is somewhere in the middle and a taste I developed while living in Houston (I even visited Shiner). I also LOVE a good fruity IPA, but I'm a little bit of an IPA snob. Now with IPAs being all the rage every brewery has one, and most suck. It takes more to make a good IPA than throwing a bunch of hops in and making it bitter, but an IPA done right is amazing. I am very partial to the Lagunitas family of PAs. Stone is good but IMHO a little over-hyped. A nice wheat beer is good, especially on a hot day and I will appreciate a good dopple-bock or pilsner every now and then but they are more seasonal things for me. I don't really see much point in light beers or the American macrobrews although I will enjoy a Coors Banquet every now and then for old times sake.

I go back to Europe with the family every year or so and it's funny, I used to consider the European beers to be vastly superior to American beers UNTIL I discovered the craft beer movement in the US. Now I consider the US to be the leading producers of liquid bread. In the Balkans (where I spend most of my Euro-time) everything is either German or Czech inspired pilsners (if I have to live though another Heineken add campaign I'll pull my hair out) so finding a nice Amber or Brown can be hard. Last year I went to the Craft Brew festival in Belgrade where every craft beer in the Balkans, Southern and Eastern Europe showed up and I have to say they are turning out some really good stuff. America is once again imparting its influence on the rest of the world in a good way!
    Last edited by Suvorov; 07-19-2016 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Gramar

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I don't drink (one of the many ways in which I am a lousy Catholic) but I entertain. In KC it was easy -- boulevard wheat and Pilsner would keep most people reasonably happy. What should I put in my fridge in Texas? The trope is Shiner bock, I guess.

Shiner is a good beer with a loyal following. Their Bock is a standard and I've been impressed with their specialty brews as well (including their IPA offering). You will also find Ziggenbock in Texas which is a Busch offering in a similar style to Shiner and only brewed for the Texas market. If you have the chance to visit the Spoetzl Brewery in Shiner by all means take the opportunity. It isn't just a brewery tour but a chance to learn about the early Texas European immigrants.

User Tag List