Page 34 of 119 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer thread

Not much of a beer drinker (or any drinker) these days. My two stalwarts for drinking remain Miller Lite and Shiner Bock.

That said, we popped into a German supermarket we know of a couple of weekends ago and I picked up a sixer of one of my faves. Hofbrau München Original.

The finest beer I’ve ever had was a Summer Weiss from Hofbrau Haus in Munich. It was a fucking miserable day, that day.

Started with me nearly getting into a fist fight with a racist old German dude on an extremely long and oft delayed train ride between Dresden and Munich. The ride was supposed to be 8-hours, it was 15.

My hostel room was shared with five American sorority girls, which should have started a letter saying, “Dear Penthouse...” but instead they were all drunk and one of them puked on my shoes. That was shortly after my arrival at 2am.

I went to bed and got up at 8am. And got a train and went to Dachau, because I couldn’t fathom going to Munich and not seeing it. It was humbling, emotionally draining, and exhausting. I came back into Munich and went to the BMW Museum for a tour. It was humbling, emotionally draining, and exhausting.

So there I was - dinner time - beaten down, tired, hungry. I went into Hofbrau Haus and sat down. I ordered a pork steak, au graten potatoes, and a summer weiss. That beer...was fucking AMAZING. And it marked a turning point in my trip. I got back to my hostel and the hostel staff had screwed up and nearly thrown away my things. Fortunately, they caught their mistake, and gave me a bunch of free drink tickets for their bar. So do I went to drink more German beer. This time with my German roommates, in Munich on a bachelor party, and my new Australian buddies. I drank them under the table, earned some respect, and had a very fun time.

That’s why Hofbrau brau will always be special to me...and while original isn’t as good as summer white - it’s still pretty damn good.

Name:  5F6DB13C-CA6B-48D5-9EFA-07653615F8C4.jpeg
Views: 313
Size:  64.6 KB

Great story @RevolverRob. Who pukes on shoes? Cats, and drunk sorority girls evidently.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Beer thread

Little Beast Midnight Riot aged sour. 9.6%

Super intense, leathery taste with some bitter plum.

After dryfire brew: von Ebert Sabrage dry IPA. 6.9%.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    After dryfire brew: von Ebert Sabrage dry IPA. 6.9%.

Hmm. Going to see if this one is obtainable in MN.

Was Herself's birthday on Friday.
    #1 daughter put out a spread, including these:

Name:  IMG_20200207_193641496~2.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  63.8 KB

Didn't end up trying the Boom Island (Minneapolis)Tripel or Quadrupel, but did compare the Hoodoo Dubbel to the Belgian-brewed St Bernardus Abt 12 and Gulden Draak.
    The Minneapolis beer was a nice take on the style, but I'd go for the imports, given the price was similar and the quality a bit more consistent. I mean, they've been brewing Gulden Draak since the 1300s, and St Bernardus Abt 12 since 1946.
    Neither of these beers are light in any sense of the word. They would be considered barleywines in the US or UK. They are both very heavily malted and really complex in flavor profile. Of the two, Gulden Draak is a little bit lighter in body and color.

Gulden Draak quadrupel 10 % abv
    St Bernardus Abt 12 quadrupel 10% abv

Many of the experts consider St Bernardus Abt 12 to be one of the best beers in the world. I would find it hard to argue.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 02-09-2020 at 11:17 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Cuvée des Jacobins Rouge. Still my favorite import.

Outstanding! I wish I’d bought more than one bottle.

Beer thread

Opened out first two bottles from our Little Beast brewery membership. Wow. These are amazing. Totally unique, one-time brews. The bottles can be hard to open though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Not much of a beer drinker (or any drinker) these days. My two stalwarts for drinking remain Miller Lite and Shiner Bock.

That said, we popped into a German supermarket we know of a couple of weekends ago and I picked up a sixer of one of my faves. Hofbrau München Original.

The finest beer I’ve ever had was a Summer Weiss from Hofbrau Haus in Munich. It was a fucking miserable day, that day.

Started with me nearly getting into a fist fight with a racist old German dude on an extremely long and oft delayed train ride between Dresden and Munich. The ride was supposed to be 8-hours, it was 15.

My hostel room was shared with five American sorority girls, which should have started a letter saying, “Dear Penthouse...” but instead they were all drunk and one of them puked on my shoes. That was shortly after my arrival at 2am.

I went to bed and got up at 8am. And got a train and went to Dachau, because I couldn’t fathom going to Munich and not seeing it. It was humbling, emotionally draining, and exhausting. I came back into Munich and went to the BMW Museum for a tour. It was humbling, emotionally draining, and exhausting.

So there I was - dinner time - beaten down, tired, hungry. I went into Hofbrau Haus and sat down. I ordered a pork steak, au graten potatoes, and a summer weiss. That beer...was fucking AMAZING. And it marked a turning point in my trip. I got back to my hostel and the hostel staff had screwed up and nearly thrown away my things. Fortunately, they caught their mistake, and gave me a bunch of free drink tickets for their bar. So do I went to drink more German beer. This time with my German roommates, in Munich on a bachelor party, and my new Australian buddies. I drank them under the table, earned some respect, and had a very fun time.

That’s why Hofbrau brau will always be special to me...and while original isn’t as good as summer white - it’s still pretty damn good.

Name:  5F6DB13C-CA6B-48D5-9EFA-07653615F8C4.jpeg
Views: 313
Size:  64.6 KB
    Great story and German beers, Marzen style inparticular, are my favorites.

User Tag List