Page 3 of 118 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post

ETA: WV has a few good locals incl. the Raj, Almost Heaven, Cold Trail, and Miner's Daughter Oatmeal Stout.
    Dang it these didn't exist before I went Beverly Hillbilly.

I'm personally partial to Belgian tripels and pale ales, English pale ales, and Vienna Lagers. I'm sure every time I ask for a super-cold bottle of Dos Equis Amber my dad roles over in his grave. Yes I know super-cold kills the taste, I like it that way anyway at least with Dos Equis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I rarely drink anymore, but when I do it's proper unfiltered Bavarian Hefeweizen. When I was a young douchetard squid, I remember all the other young douchetard squids going on and on about "The beer is Germany is SO much better than the stuff we can get here" and I thought they were just typical pretentious assholes. Then, decades later, I went to Germany. They were right and I was wrong.
    A goal of mine is to go back to Germany to experience the beer "scene". I probably drink beer more then I should but its my one "thing" now. Too bad its so high in calories, I was just telling StraitR the other day its the reason I work out so much lol

Rediscovered Carlsberg recently which I dig. With meals I usually try to somewhat compliment the menu. Last night it was a vanilla porter from Brackenridge Brewery. Great Lakes brewing co. had a few good ones in a sampler I got last week. I like Hefewiezens as well as a bunch of you it seems, so I'll have to try some of the ones mentioned. Also just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, but why are IPAs suddenly all the rage? Never been a fan, unless there like 12%abv and its that kind of night, and it seems like there's 3 if them for every other type of beer

My batting average with the various cutesy name small brews is poor.
    About the only such thing I really like is the local Singing River Porter.
    A friend brought back an assortment of Uncle Billy's Whizz Bang beers to share out, but I am not optimistic.

I am always gratified to find a bartender who can pour a nicely stratified Black and Tan.

I like the balance of the Oktoberfest brews. Sam Adams is OK, but I recently learned that Spaten makes it year round. Now I just have to find some.

Fat Tire or Dos Equis will do for most occasions.

I rarely drink anymore, but when I do it's proper unfiltered Bavarian Hefeweizen. When I was a young douchetard squid, I remember all the other young douchetard squids going on and on about "The beer is Germany is SO much better than the stuff we can get here" and I thought they were just typical pretentious assholes. Then, decades later, I went to Germany. They were right and I was wrong.
    Yep, I agree.
    They've been at it for a long time. Pretty amazing when the bottle youre drinking from lists the brewery founding date in the 1500s.

I should have waited that year and become a German linguist instead of going for the money and joining "right now" to go Korean.

s*i*g*h

They tell me the Germans used to line up at the Field Station Berlin beer tent during Oktoberfest to get American beer. Sure, it's weaker, but you can drink it all day long!

These days I usually drink beer brewed in WA or OR. Deschutes is my go-to, Inversion IPA in summer, Black Butte Porter or Obsidian Stout in the winter. Iron Horse brewery's Mocha Death is a favorite seasonal: a chocolate/coffee stout. Wingman's P-51 Porter is also pretty good. They don't have a brew pub, exactly, but they will serve you a beer and let you bring in your lunch, or order it in.
    Last edited by Drang; 07-19-2016 at 04:33 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Paltares8 View Post
    Rediscovered Carlsberg recently which I dig. With meals I usually try to somewhat compliment the menu. Last night it was a vanilla porter from Brackenridge Brewery. Great Lakes brewing co. had a few good ones in a sampler I got last week. I like Hefewiezens as well as a bunch of you it seems, so I'll have to try some of the ones mentioned. Also just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, but why are IPAs suddenly all the rage? Never been a fan, unless there like 12%abv and its that kind of night, and it seems like there's 3 if them for every other type of beer
    Funny you say that. IPAs are not my thing at all and most places are making it their thing...Sometimes makes me a little upset when I only have one or two options to try at a local brew

Yea, that's been my problem too. Sure I have my preferred styles, but I'm not too picky, just not IPAs. And what do you know, that's all there is...

Site Supporter
    Are others seeing the beer store business model of stocking hundreds of different craft brews and selling aggressively priced individual bottles?

It is a great way to try new beers, but it does get expensive quick!

I don't drink (one of the many ways in which I am a lousy Catholic) but I entertain. In KC it was easy -- boulevard wheat and Pilsner would keep most people reasonably happy. What should I put in my fridge in Texas? The trope is Shiner bock, I guess.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List