Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixed sights and Red dots

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I can tell you exactly why I use a fixed rear behind a Micro...the sights I have on that rifle came as a pair.

Although I actually use an absolute cowitness, not a lower third, because I find that on Micros, the emitter protrudes into the large ring on Troy rears. So I just use an absolute and look a little over the sights and it doesn't bother me at all.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Timely thread, as I'm considering what optical sight I want to install on my rifle. It currently has Troy fixed irons installed and I like them. I am thinking about purchasing a red dot sight and am wondering whether I will be better off with a true cowitness or a lower third cowitness. Can anyone having experience with both setups offer additional insight as to the pros/cons of each?

Plus, am I right in assuming you achieve one or the other based on the type of mount used?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Timely thread, as I'm considering what optical sight I want to install on my rifle. It currently has Troy fixed irons installed and I like them. I am thinking about purchasing a red dot sight and am wondering whether I will be better off with a true cowitness or a lower third cowitness. Can anyone having experience with both setups offer additional insight as to the pros/cons of each?

Plus, am I right in assuming you achieve one or the other based on the type of mount used?
    Yes it's based on the mount.

Lower 1/3rd provides a cleaner view of the target because your irons, lasers and lights are in the bottom of the window, and your head can be positioned slightly higher which reduces fatigue.

Absolute provides greater consistency between irons and shooting the dot by forcing your head into the same spot every time. You will lose a large portion of the target view if you have anything mounted at the 12 o'clock position down at the end of the rail.

It really comes down to how your brain works... If you're ok with the dot floating in space above any fsp, go lower 1/3. If you're OCD like me and have to have everything line up and be consistent across the board, go absolute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

Quote Originally Posted by SamuelBLong View Post
    Yes it's based on the mount.

Lower 1/3rd provides a cleaner view of the target because your irons, lasers and lights are in the bottom of the window, and your head can be positioned slightly higher which reduces fatigue.

Absolute provides greater consistency between irons and shooting the dot by forcing your head into the same spot every time. You will lose a large portion of the target view if you have anything mounted at the 12 o'clock position down at the end of the rail.

It really comes down to how your brain works... If you're ok with the dot floating in space above any fsp, go lower 1/3. If you're OCD like me and have to have everything line up and be consistent across the board, go absolute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for such a clear concise answer. I too am looking at getting a carbine set up later this summer, and this helps.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I wanna say GJM experimented with this and notes there is a ever so slight POI difference between sighting in through the glass and without it. Hopefully he will chime in.
    This is only an issue with the T2/H2's due to the optimization of the lenses for optics to be mounted behind them. With my Aimpoint PRO Staff hat on....here is what I recommend. Zero the irons and red dot through the glass as you are not likely to be taking the sight off the gun if for some reason the sight is not on and you need to go irons. If you have a need to be removing the Micro regularly, then obviously just zero the irons and be okay with them being a little off.

Setting the gun up...for me personally with a long background with these in the LE environment, with a fixed front I like either the factory Aimpoint or a lower third mount. For fold downs, I run absolute. For a front only (I have an AUG done like this), I also run absolute so it works like a gigantic ghost ring.

Also, I like some of the offset iron set ups as well for their actual role as a rapid back up.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 07-19-2016 at 12:31 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I'm sure this will vary from optic to optic, but approximately how much "off" are we talking about if you zero your irons prior to adding the optic and then go to shoot with the irons through the optic?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I'm sure this will vary from optic to optic, but approximately how much "off" are we talking about if you zero your irons prior to adding the optic and then go to shoot with the irons through the optic?
    With my T2, I was about 1/2" right at 25yds.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    With my T2, I was about 1/2" right at 25yds.
    Wow, so looking at up to or beyond 2 MOA in any given direction.

I guess the next question is this: is it better to zero through the optic and bet that you won't have to remove it should a malfunction occur or is it better to zero independent of the optic and immediately remove the optic should a malfunction occur?

I'm sure that's dependent of what kind of optic you're running and how durable it is and how likely it is for the housing/glass to break, but it's definitely something to consider.

Site Supporter
    I use a 1/3rd Co-Witness on my AR's.

I debated keeping the rear sight deployed/folded before getting an AR. However, after purchasing one I didn't appreciate shooting an AR left handed (without an ambi-charging handle) meant manipulating the charging handle by hooking my right index finger over the rear of the receiver and relying on my middle and index finger to pull the charging handle.

Candidly, I pretty much either have to run the rear sight deployed, go to an ambi-charging handle (I'm happy with the way it works), or re-visit this configuration to find a workable solution via trial and error.

Since I paid $120 for a folding Troy rear on my Midlength and never folded it because of the aforementioned conditions. I decided to save $60 and go with a fixed rear by Troy on my second AR. I feel that the shape of rear sights for DD and other rear sights will probably obstruct my hand from manipulating the charging handle the way I have been. So, I've stuck with Troy.

God Bless,

Brandon

For larger aimpoints I like lower 1/3. For smaller ones like the micro, I like absolute. With larger aimpoints, I like a fixed rear. If the dot should have an issue I can easily transition to irons without taking my eyes off the target. But as my eyes aged I have heavily migrated over to variable optics that have daytime usable red dots and a 1x setting.

User Tag List