Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Opinion Needed on Type of J-Frame

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    Absolutely love my Talo II edition 642. The polished trigger is really nice and maybe mine was just built on a good day but the action job feels great to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I've been thinking on and off about a j frame for some time now. Reading this and other threads here pushed me over the edge...

Thanks to this info and some more research on my part, one of these TALO II models is on the way to my FFL. Cheapest price I could find was from TSS Warehouse at $458.10 / free shipping. Four left if anyone else is interested at that price. Yesterday they had eight or nine.

Site Supporter
    It came in today and I had enough time to run 40 rounds of S&B 158 gr LRN through it that I've had on my shelf for a decade or so.

Name:  P1080630.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  45.8 KB

This is the last five rounds, fired from 20 yards on an old IDPA target. I'm OK with this as a warm-up to this revolver.

Recoil is brisk, but I don't see a problem with 50 rounds of this or similar ammo at a time. I have some 148 WC's my grandfather cast decades ago that I'll load up and try also. This is one fun revolver. Trigger pull is nice, and although the trigger is polished, it still catches me a little bit on the underside of my index finger under recoil. No blood though, so it isn't that bad. Going to get some CT 405's for it, and have an inquiry in to DSG about their appendix holster.

I'm going to have to find a video of someone showing the right way to grip these little buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    I'm going to have to find a video of someone showing the right way to grip these little buggers.[/B]
    Please share if you find it.

I'm just getting into serious practice with the 642 I picked up earlier this year. My thumb doesn't agree with the cylinder release, to the point where I'm considering a bit of filing.

While I'm in the J-Frame topic, any of the revolver guys here have a preference for which wadcutter load to load with for carry? My main concern is QC/QA + reliability. I'm seeing Federal Gold Medal available and was leaning towards that, but I figured I'd ask here first.

Federal GM 148 is excellent ammunition.
    I carry it in my 638.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    My thumb doesn't agree with the cylinder release, to the point where I'm considering a bit of filing.
    That's one thing I remember from shooting another guy's Centennial some years ago. Actually one of the reasons I bought this one, b/c of the polished trigger bow and cyl release. I'm currently gripping it with my thumb under the cyl release and it isn't even touching me under recoil. Then just vising my left hand over my right as tight as possible. My hands are too big for me to get any purchase on the actual revolver with my left except for where my index finger curls around under the trigger guard, which is one reason I want to see how other people shoot these.

The logical thing is to wrap the left thumb behind the backstrap but I haven't figured the right way to do this yet without that thumb getting pounded pretty severely by the right edge of the strap, to the point of blood if I was to try it for more than one cylinder full. But something like that is needed to keep the little sucker from being able to shift my left hand grip under recoil.

Site Supporter
    Miculek has a brief demonstration of j-frame grip in this video (starting at 8:03), but most of the time spent talking about j-frames is actually spent talking about the nerve in the thumb that the scandium ones are so hard on. Near as I can tell, the crossed left thumb isn't actually in contact with the gun's backstrap but instead pressed into the web of the right hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEHNZFTfSD8

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Miculek has a brief demonstration of j-frame grip in this video (starting at 8:03), but most of the time spent talking about j-frames is actually spent talking about the nerve in the thumb that the scandium ones are so hard on. Near as I can tell, the crossed left thumb isn't actually in contact with the gun's backstrap but instead pressed into the web of the right hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEHNZFTfSD8

TBone - a couple things - I have seen other videos of Miculek demonstrating that "crossed thumbs" grip - you are correct as the support thumb doesn't touch the gun. The other thing is I have been contemplating buying a revolver for quite a while, devouring all the totally insane pictures from Nyeti and others here. Now you post that great looking TALO 642 - you DO realize you aren't helping my budget, right? I recently retired and I....just....must...fight....fiscal....irresponsib ility.

Seriously, thanks for posting and please give us updates. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by 11B10; 07-31-2016 at 03:59 PM.

User Tag List