Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VP9 rust/corrosion

VP9 rust/corrosion

Has anyone had any issues with surface rust or corrosion on a VP9 or H&K in general? I have two, one of which is my duty pistol. I just noticed that the slide stop on both sides is rusting. More so on the left lever. Upon further inspection, I noticed some surface rust on a cocking serration on the right side and also some of my magazines are beginning to rust as well. Like I said, this is a duty pistol so its exposed to some elements; however, its cleaned, oiled and maintained regularly. Anyone else having this issue?

Name:  IMG_1631.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  25.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1633.JPG
Views: 1398
Size:  92.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1630.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  22.1 KB

I can't really tell from your photos but this thread may prove informative:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....nish-wear-rust

I believe most of these issues of rust are simple discoloration. I've not ever had it happen on my 45 though (aside from holster wear slowly taking off the color in places).
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Actually, in my case it was rust. Not discoloration but legit rusting of slide release levers on both my VP9 and P2000sk. I've since had them cerakoted. I have a USP and a P30sk that are much newer and am monitoring them for the same. Slides seem fine, just the levers.

How's the cerakote holding up? My 45 has been completely bulletproof despite neglect, but I'm looking to get a VP9 for USPSA/carry and this has me a teeny bit leery. 9mm is cheaper so I gotta get something eventually.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

A bunch of my VP9 mags are covered in surface rust. I live in the very humid area of Eastern NC, so that doesn't help things. I scrubbed the rust off with a copper brush and wiped them with a CLP rag. May send them out to have them coated in the future.

Not on mine.

Maybe contact HK CS?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  80.3 KBThe Cerakote on the metallic parts is holding up fine, slide releases etc. The polymer frame shows some wear in spots, but nothing to really cry over since they see a lot of use. I feel like I'm getting the corrosion protection I need now. I have had the surface rusting on the mags as well, but I dunno I could be one of those guys with real acidic sweat or something.
    Last edited by bpack325; 07-14-2016 at 05:19 PM.

I've had surface rust on levers of my p2000 and p30. Nothing on the slides whatsoever.

We had a lot of our P2000 magazines rust when I was in S Texas. Just keep on them...clean regularly and a light (very light) wipe with an oily rag should sort them out. I'd suspect the same would work on the other metal parts?

None of my wife's or my P30 pistols and magazines show any signs of corrosion or rust although the control levers are turning brown and/or silver. As a rule, at the end of the evening I wipe down the pistols, and I wipe down magazines after a trip to the range. In both cases, I use an oily rag with Break-Free CLP. If I get caught in the rain, I field strip and clean.

User Tag List