Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Dan Wesson Valor

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It's been a recurring thought that if I'd bought one of those for ~$1150 back in January, I could probably sell it for ~$1700 now.

If Sig made a run of 9mm P220s, I'd probably buy two. Instead, they're making P210s. Did not buy.
    I would probably buy a 9mm P220 just because. But really a 226 is basically the same size.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Anyone have any experience with the NEW model Dan Wesson Valor pistols? These are the pistols that were "reintroduced" sometime (I think) post-summer of 2019.

There are quite a few changes to the "new" version when compared to the "old" model including the trigger, stock sights, cocking serration design, inclusion of a mag well on the "new" model, and probably others.

I have consistently positive experiences with the "old" Dan Wesson models, and I have an opportunity to purchase a NIB "new" model Valor at a very attractive price.

I would greatly value feedback for anyone that has any direct or even indirect hands-on experiences with these NEW pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Anyone have any experience with the NEW model Dan Wesson Valor pistols? These are the pistols that were "reintroduced" sometime (I think) post-summer of 2019.

There are quite a few changes to the "new" version when compared to the "old" model including the trigger, stock sights, cocking serration design, inclusion of a mag well on the "new" model, and probably others.

I have consistently positive experiences with the "old" Dan Wesson models, and I have an opportunity to purchase a NIB "new" model Valor at a very attractive price.

I would greatly value feedback for anyone that has any direct or even indirect hands-on experiences with these NEW pistols.
    I have a new Valor, 5", Duty Coat finish. Been reliable, good trigger (I don't have a lot of 1911 experience, but it's probably 4 lbs, no mush, short firm reset). I disliked the rear sight, it had no real flat (very rounded) at the top of the sight which made it difficult for me to align the front sight correctly and shots tended to wonder vertically. Replaced with Dawson fibers, that problem was solved but fitting that front sight with a file was hell.

Stainless plunger for safety and slide stop was too soft and began to deform, replaced with carbon steel plungers from Brownells. The safety and the slide stop stopped working correctly because of the plungers. No issues after replacement.

Safety has positive off on positions, ambi safety is captured by pin, seems well done, a little give in down position, I bought non ambi safety grips and filed them to fit and create a hard ledge for the safety to land on.

I disliked the recoil impulse with the flat FPS, replaced with a WC rounded slide stop, dropped on with no fitting. I wouldn't call it tight but the extractor does not clock and no noticeable for aft movement. Muzzle flip was much better afterwards.

Grip safety disengages at 50% depression, I attempted to reduce this to 25% but that coating is hard and I don't have a file that will bite, not that important anyway, only notice the grip safety moving a little when a get a bad single handed grip. Never failed to fire but I could feel it moving a little like the trigger bar might be rubbing on it.

Crowned flush barrel, looks well done. Barrel fit feels good, nothing moves at the breech or muzzle when in battery.

Slide fit is okay just a touch of wiggle at the rear but tighter than just about anyother pistol I have.

No sharp edges, everything feels well dehorned/blended.

Thin G10 grips that came on it didn't work for me I have big hands. Put standard thickness grips on. Came with o-rings.

Gun is accurate but I am not a great group shooter, will hold a USPSA A zone at 50 yards.

Magwell looks well done but it's a little tight as the mag well wraps the front of the grip right up to the base pad notch. I dremeled material off my WC mag bases to fit.

Chamber or leade is tight, I have to seat .452 SWC bullets to the case mouth to get rounds to plunk. I am switching to .451 bullets to get around this to allow for some more wiggle room on case length. .452 round nose seated deep enough had no issues.

Only hollow points through it have been Win Defender 230 gr. They functioned fine. All ball ammo has shot fine.

Mags that came with gun function just fine. I have been using ETMs and they work as well. Have some Chip Railed Power Mags and I think I tested those for a few round and they functioned.

I only have about a thousand rounds through it.

I think it's a solid gun. Much nicer than the couple of springers (Loaded and GI models) that I have shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    I have a new Valor, 5", Duty Coat finish. Been reliable, good trigger (I don't have a lot of 1911 experience, but it's probably 4 lbs, no mush, short firm reset). I disliked the rear sight, it had no real flat (very rounded) at the top of the sight which made it difficult for me to align the front sight correctly and shots tended to wonder vertically. Replaced with Dawson fibers, that problem was solved but fitting that front sight with a file was hell.

Stainless plunger for safety and slide stop was too soft and began to deform, replaced with carbon steel plungers from Brownells. The safety and the slide stop stopped working correctly because of the plungers. No issues after replacement.

Safety has positive off on positions, ambi safety is captured by pin, seems well done, a little give in down position, I bought non ambi safety grips and filed them to fit and create a hard ledge for the safety to land on.

I disliked the recoil impulse with the flat FPS, replaced with a WC rounded slide stop, dropped on with no fitting. I wouldn't call it tight but the extractor does not clock and no noticeable for aft movement. Muzzle flip was much better afterwards.

Grip safety disengages at 50% depression, I attempted to reduce this to 25% but that coating is hard and I don't have a file that will bite, not that important anyway, only notice the grip safety moving a little when a get a bad single handed grip. Never failed to fire but I could feel it moving a little like the trigger bar might be rubbing on it
    Crowned flush barrel, looks well done. Barrel fit feels good, nothing moves at the breech or muzzle when in battery.

Slide fit is okay just a touch of wiggle at the rear but tighter than just about anyother pistol I have.

No sharp edges, everything feels well dehorned/blended.

Thin G10 grips that came on it didn't work for me I have big hands. Put standard thickness grips on. Came with o-rings.

Gun is accurate but I am not a great group shooter, will hold a USPSA A zone at 50 yards.

Magwell looks well done but it's a little tight as the mag well wraps the front of the grip right up to the base pad notch. I dremeled material off my WC mag bases to fit.

Chamber or leade is tight, I have to seat .452 SWC bullets to the case mouth to get rounds to plunk. I am switching to .451 bullets to get around this to allow for some more wiggle room on case length. .452 round nose seated deep enough had no issues.

Only hollow points through it have been Win Defender 230 gr. They functioned fine. All ball ammo has shot fine.

Mags that came with gun function just fine. I have been using ETMs and they work as well. Have some Chip Railed Power Mags and I think I tested those for a few round and they functioned.

I only have about a thousand rounds through it.

I think it's a solid gun. Much nicer than the couple of springers (Loaded and GI models) that I have shot.
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such an information and thorough assessment. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such an information and thorough assessment. Thanks!
    Oh, one other thing, nothing wrong with the original, but I installed EGW extended mag release, that dropped in with no issues as well.

Thanks again!

User Tag List