Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan Wesson Valor

Site Supporter
    Trooper224,

What point of aim are you using with your Valor?

I have a 2012 vintage Valor and it hits to "drive the dot" or below.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Trooper224,

What point of aim are you using with your Valor?

I have a 2012 vintage Valor and it hits to "drive the dot" or below.

At twenty five yards mine uses hold #2. Within ten yards it's drive the dot #3.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    On the single sample that I’ve messed with (a new Stainless V-Bob), the slide seized on the second magazine and the gun had to be disassembled with a mallet. I understand that while that’s not common, it’s not a total aberration with DW’s either. Anyhow, after the gun received some attention to the rail fitment, the gun has been flawless.

As noted by the OP, it shoots like a house on fire and the accuracy and fitment is on par with guns costing much more.

If you’re a “gun of the month” guy, a DW might not be a wise purchase however, since they don’t seem to hold their value (short term) quite as well as some other semi-custom brands. That’s good for buyers though as I just happen to know where an absolutely “Like New” V-Bob is for just $1,300 …. and no, it’s not the gun I referenced previously.

Should I ever run across a 5” gun in a similar condition at a similar price, it will be mine. If fact, I think enough of the quality that I would seriously consider having one embellished with some tasteful engraving and keeping it forever.
    I've read about the galling issue with some of the bare stainless guns. The guns with the Duty Treat finish don't seem to suffer from it. A gunsmith told me that particular finish also hardens the steel so maybe that has something to do with preventing it.

I agree with your "gun of the month" comment. If one is concerned with maximizing resale one of the semi-customs are probably a better way to go. For me this is a working gun, not one I own as a collectable or for the cool factor. With my working guns I tend to "buy 'em and die 'em", so resale really isn't a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Great post, great photos, great gun. The only thing you're missing is a backup gun in stainless...
    Hmmmm........................

Guys, thanks for the positive comments.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Great review. I hate all y'all 1911-pushers. The 1911 is more addictive than crack...
    At least 1911's don't rot your teeth.

Had a similar round count on my Valor until I had to sell it out of necessity.

+1 to everything you've said, I miss that gun.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Thank you for the write up, very informative. Am busy cleaning the keyboard from the drool caused by your pictures, have yet to see or handle a Wesson which is not a thing of beauty.

Nice 1911...but no FLGR????

How would you describe the trigger overall? Duty /SD or more toward the target side? Know what weight the recoil spring is?
    Last edited by Redhat; 07-14-2016 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Nice 1911...but no FLGR????

How would you describe the trigger overall? Duty /SD or more toward the target side? Know what weight the recoil spring is?
    Nope, no FLGR. Like I said, no useless fru fru here.

This pistol features the best out of the box trigger I've ever experienced on a production 1911. Like I said, minimal take up and no over travel and with a very consistent four pound pull. On my carry guns I like the triggers in the 4.5-4.0 range so this one is perfect. I don't think it would hold you back in competition either. My dedicated bullseye gun has a lighter pull, but I've never cared for the 2.0-2.5 pound triggers some competitors like. Of course, I'm not running around the range in a lycra jersey festooned with sponsor logos chasing a hundredth of a second, so that may color my preferences.

Forgot to add, the recoil spring feels like a standard 16 pound spring.

User Tag List