Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drill of the Week 6: Typewriter

Did this drill a few times yesterday, but then realized I did it wrong (shot the circles in the wrong order.)

Redid it today, correctly:

Gen3 G34, stock, Defoor sights
    17 + 1 capacity, but loaded to 12 rounds only
    Concealed, closed-front cover garment
    22 hits
    String 1: 10.98 clean (had a failure to go into battery - tap-racked, and on the tap, the slide went into battery, but I still felt very slow to fix it and get back on target and shooting.)
    String 2: 8.71 - 2
    Total time: 19.69
    Score: 1.12

I had an unexpected problem with vision on this drill. I found a lot of visual confusion in the target when I focused my vision on the front sight. The circles turned into this messy mass of double-visioned thick curved black lines. I think this was a product of the distance still allowing me to see the circles pretty glaringly even though I was focused on the sights, and the circles being close together, but i am not sure.

Great scores on yours Todd!

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Did this drill a few times yesterday, but then realized I did it wrong (shot the circles in the wrong order.)
    Did you, by chance, shoot it 1-2-3-6-5-4?

Great scores on yours Todd!
    Thanks! I'm beginning to think that averaging 75k rounds per year is helping my shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Did you, by chance, shoot it 1-2-3-6-5-4?

Thanks! I'm beginning to think that averaging 75k rounds per year is helping my shooting.
    Yes, 1-2-3-6-5-4 is exactly what I did.

Seriously, what good shooting you do Todd. The consistency and control you show is truly great, and are the standout qualities of your shooting that I most admire. This particular DotW really showed your level of precision at speed. I think that is a truly awesome thing to have hooked up in your life, to be able to shoot, train, and teach as much as you do. 75k/year! I am currently at about 18k per year average. Trying to push that up to 24k. Plus, a whole effing lot of dry practice.

I really enjoyed the numerical comparisons this drill allows between different shooting intentions.

We are diminished
    Yes, 1-2-3-6-5-4 is exactly what I did.
    So not to bust on you, but JV and I were at the range last night and I told him that the whole reason I specified an order was because otherwise I knew you (you, personally, OrigamiAK) would shoot it 1-2-3-6-5-4 to get the fastest possible time.

Seriously, what good shooting you do Todd.
    I do genuinely appreciate that. I've been extremely fortunate to have great teachers, great partners, and great jobs that have all allowed me to turn a hobby into a profession without losing the joy of being a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    So not to bust on you, but JV and I were at the range last night and I told him that the whole reason I specified an order was because otherwise I knew you (you, personally, OrigamiAK) would shoot it 1-2-3-6-5-4 to get the fastest possible time.

I do genuinely appreciate that. I've been extremely fortunate to have great teachers, great partners, and great jobs that have all allowed me to turn a hobby into a profession without losing the joy of being a hobby.
    Ha, you're right, I would have shot it in that order, both out of a recognition of a slight increase in transition efficiency, but also because it just felt much more natural to shoot it that way, which is why I think I did it that way yesterday, having fuzzed over the correct order when I read the instructions but still remembering to start with circle 1. As long as the rules are the same for everyone it's perfectly fair. I think the order probably makes only a small difference.

I thought the reason you specified 1-2-3-4-5-6, repeat, was because it made it more like a typewriter.

Actually, now that I reflect on it more, I think that the most advantageous order for me would be 4-5-6-3-2-1, so I could have a transition up rather than a transition down.

Given the specific discussions I've participated in here on P-F.com, I can certainly understand how I appear to be extremely speed-focused. That's been true for about the last eighteen months, since I switched to AIWB and discovered how fast an AIWB draw can be. And I promptly got sucked deep into the timer. I think it's been worth it because of the huge speed gains I've made. Before that, I did relatively little work with the timer, and focused on being 'tactical.' Balance and tightness at speed is the thing I need to work on now.

But I find balance through extremes, so this all makes sense for me.

We are diminished
    balance through extremes
    Somewhere, there is a gun or training company that needs to use that as their corporate slogan!

I apologize for the crappy pictures. Cell phone camera, back lighting, et al.

First Run
    Forward: 13.12 - Clean
    Backward: 11.97 - 1 Out
    Score: 0.92

Second Run
    Forward: 11.39 - 2 Out
    Backward: 10.12 - 1 Out
    Score: 0.98

Equipment:
    M&P 9 Full Size #2 - 17 rounds (aka non-neutered magazines)
    Trijicon HD
    Concealed using IDPA equipment

Actually, now that I reflect on it more, I think that the most advantageous order for me would be 4-5-6-3-2-1, so I could have a transition up rather than a transition down.
    This!!!

I plan to run this drill tomorrow so we'll see how it works out.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

ran this as my first shots fired tonight at practice.
    Gear used;
    CZ Shadow with red FO front sight black rear
    Bladetech DOH open top holster
    DAA aluminum mag pouches
    No cover garment (yeah yeah whatever)
    Reload after 6 rounds due to stupid Canadian laws

First pass 8.32 clean. Slowwwww reload
    Second pass 7.10 Clean Better reload but slower draw
    Name:  typewriter.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  32.3 KB
    Total tome 15.42 so 24 / 15.42= 1.556402
    I'm happy with that for a cold drill. Will do again this weekend at class.

Pic when I get home.
    Last edited by Slavex; 11-10-2011 at 10:48 PM.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

I ran this today after first shooting a PPC match with my PPC gear (I finally shot a 300/28x!). I then put my normal carry gear on and ran the drill.

Gear:: M&P 9c with trijicon HD sights and apex FSS, all carried in a raven phantom and single mag carrier.

Stage 1: 10.1 -1
    Stage2: 11.9-2

Total score: 21/22= 0.95

Target:
    Chemist.

User Tag List