Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drill of the Week 6: Typewriter

Shot with Beretta 96D, 10 round magazines w/o cover garment.

Run 1: 17.64 clean
    Run 2: 15.44 -4

Score: 0.60459

I have much work to do.

Well this was a good one....

Pistol capacity 8+1
    AIWB concealed
    String 1: 17.79 -1
    String 2: 13.78 -4
    Score: 19 / 31.57= .60

On an interesting note the range that I was at was in doors, with nothing to hold the bottom of the paper down. I used my SD ammo and around dot 3 the muzzle blast was moving the paper to make an extra little fun for me.

**edited for math.

I ran this drill several times today during the lunch break at the Jason Falla carbine course using an RDS equipped G17 drawn from a Frick OWB holster concealed under a shell. Unfortunately I never was able to get a clean run. My best was:

10.21 w/1 miss + 9.47 w/2 misses = 21/19.69= 1.07

I'm active duty military and my family and I just transfered to a new duty station in a small town out in the middle of the redwoods of northern cali that's plagued with major drug problems. Needless to say I just got my CCW and realized the weight of responsibility of carrying a firearm in a civilian role. So I decided that if i'm going to do this i need to do it right: become proficient with my firearm and sign up for a few classes. Because of seasonal weather it looks like there won't be anything available until spring of next year which got me looking on the internet for anything i could find to help me in the mean while, which is how I found this site. Hands down this is one of the greatest places on the internet for pistol trainning, kudos to ToddG and everyone involved in creating\maitaining this site! Below is my first experience with "Drill of the Week"....I've got a long ways to go, but I'm deffinetly enjoying the journey and working towards keeping my family safe in the process, what could be better?!

Shot with a G19 w\LW 3.5 connector, Ameriglo fiber opitc front sight (green), Safari land model 27 IWB holster @ 2 o'clock position concealed with long sleeved T-shirt:

1st string: 18.79 sec -6

2nd string: 35.64 sec -1

total score: 17/ 54.43 = 0.31

Sighhh....I guess you gotta start some where. Obviously on the second string I calmed down and took it slow, which improved my accuracy greatly.

M&P 45 10 round Mags

Cover garment open front front button down shirt

Ran this drill after doing a 1/2 99 drill, was my intention to run it cold but the guy running the 45 next to me kept messing with my timer.

anyway
    From the Holster
    First 12 - 24.00 -1 point
    second 12 - 18.69 -2 points

21 points + 42.69 seconds = .492

Had trouble all night with my draw and clearing the cover garment prior to establishing my grip. On both runs had to do a double take.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Gen 4 Glock 17
    17 round mags, loaded to 12+1 in both cases
    Concealment draw, closed jacket, from an Archangel AIWB

Shot Cold (and when I say cold, I ALSO mean literally cold---it was FREEZING out there):

String 1: 9.62 -3
    String 2: 8.56 -4

Hits/Time: 17/18.18 = .9351

Kinda embarrassing to miss that much. (So I really need to keep doing this, because if it is sufficiently embarrassing, I'll get and and fix the problem!)

Took a moment to shoot 20 rounds just to make sure my fingers and hands could work the trigger properly, and shot it one more time:

2nd Attempt:
    String 1: 9.59 -2
    String 2: 9.78 -1

Hits/Time: 21/19.37 = 1.084

Not where it should be. Two of the three misses were close, but I yanked one in the first string REALLY badly. I also need to work more on my concealment draw, because I wasted LOTS of time each string on that. Bleh.

Good drill. I've been working with 3-inch dots, and those 2-inch dots seem considerably smaller.

[sigh] Another wakeup call that I need to work on my precision.

I only had time to run this drill once this morning, and, well, it did not go well. I slowed way down (1.2-1.5 second splits or so) to get my hits, and then... missed.

Pistol Capacity: 10 Rounds
    Holster: Strong-side OWB, open-front vest.
    String 1: 18.65
    String 2: 20.71
    12 Hits.

12 / 39.36 = 0.30

I think that makes this the worst score yet!

Shot this with TheRoland this morning. We're hoping to make a practice session including the DoTW a weekly thing.

Equipment: M&P9 Pro, strong side kydex, vest, 10 round mags
    String 1: 21.44 8 hits
    String 2: 22.22 9 hits
    Total: 17 hits in 43.66 for a score of 0.389

Low probability targets at speed needs a ton of work. Like many, I tend to shoot for precision slowly and shoot for speed on big open targets. I see a lot of draws to 3x5 and 2" circles in my future.

Pistol capacity: 13rd magazines
    Draw: from concealment (P2000 V2 LEM from AIWB)
    Hits: 9 + 12= 21
    Times: 16.83 -3
    15.97 C
    Score: 21 / 32.8 = 0.64

Second drill I did with new to me pistol(used) after getting used to everything.
    Last edited by Pennzoil; 11-10-2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: typo

Shot it with an M&P 9mm FS, 17 round mags. Concealed, strong side holster with open front cover garment.
    1st run: 20.25 seconds, 10 points
    2nd run: 18.24 seconds, 8 points
    Score: .47

Tried it SHO just for fun.
    1st run: 23.87 seconds, 9 points
    2nd run: 21.96 seconds, 9 points
    Score: .39

I am going to try again tomorrow and see what happens, I sucked at every drill I ran yesterday. I am going to add this drill to my regular practice as well.

User Tag List