Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Drill of the Week 6: Typewriter

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Nice shot of the Gadget in action.
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

Finally got a chance to do a DOTW!

Gear:
    Ruger SR9 w/ghost connector and Ameriglo 3 dot sights, Simply rugged OWB concealed under a fleece jacket.

String one: 13.95 seconds, 4 dropped shots.
    String two: 13.65 seconds, 1 dropped shot.

Total score: .69

Saturday, run #1
    8.40 clean, 7.53 minus 2, score: 1.38

Sunday, run #1
    14.20 total time clean, score: 1.69
    So, Todd, we've had the ongoing discussion in the Speed vs. Accuracy thread, and I know we have our differences on this issue as well as similarities, and I am not trying to rehash what we've already discussed, but, I take note of your above two runs of the Typewriter and I think those two runs illustrate my perspective very well.

Looking at Saturday run #1, your total time was 15.93 seconds, but with two misses. So, standard speed/accuracy evaluation would say that you should slow down until you don't miss.

But that doesn't jive with Sunday run #1, which you shot clean in less time.

So, what does that do, if anything, to the standard evaluative heuristic of "since you have misses you should slow down"? (I know that that is often true, I just contend that it isn't always or necessarily true.)

My interpretation of these two of your scores on the Typewriter, is that you simply did it better on the Sunday run, and since you didn't have to slow down to do better on the Sunday run, and actually sped up, the Saturday run didn't necessarily suffer from going to fast, but rather from not doing it as well..

This is why I am attached to the ideal of simply going faster and doing better.

I hope you don't mind this comment here, instead of the Speed vs. Accuracy thread. I put it here because it's specifically related to these two scores on the Typewriter.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Typewriter run 1

Obviously not spectacular. I think the math ended up being something like a .5 on that one. My second run was better...but primarily because I went faster. I ended up with a .72 (IIRC) on the second run.

We are diminished
    That first Sunday run wasn't me trying to go at a pace where I'd get all my hits. Things just worked out that way, probably in no small part due to the 1,800 or so rounds of shooting I'd done in the preceding 36 hours.

My point has been and continues to be: if you cannot do it slower, you cannot do it faster. If you're missing a third of your shots with a 15-second Typewriter run, saying, "I'm going to try for 12 seconds and hope for the best!" is not the answer.

My replies in red:

1,800 or so rounds of shooting I'd done in the preceding 36 hours. = sweet effing diggity!

My point has been and continues to be: if you cannot do it slower, you cannot do it faster. If you're missing a third of your shots with a 15-second Typewriter run, saying, "I'm going to try for 12 seconds and hope for the best!" is not the answer.
    When stated that way, with those numbers as examples, I agree. When the numbers are closer/less pronounced (one miss, ~10% misses, etc.), that's when I am Secretary Not Sure.

shot this last Wednesday, misplaced and just found the index card I wrote everything down on.

first string 17.79 -4

second string 18.29 -2

18 / 36.08 = .50

pretty awful.

I ran it again at the veterans day clinic, but didn't write down the exact score. however, I know I was -2 on each string for a score of 20, and 1 time was 15.xx and another was 17.xx. for a score of somewhere around .60.

I enjoyed this drill, and will be adding it to the repertoire.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Gen 3 G17, concealment with OWB holster, 12 rounds a magazine
    Run 1 8.89 - 1 miss
    Run 2 8.69 - 1 miss
    Total 17.58 - 2 missed
    22/17.58 = 1.25

We are diminished
    Week 6 is now CLOSED.

Week 7 has been posted.

User Tag List