Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What size Backstrap do you prefer?

With longish fingers I have at times convinced myself that I shot better freestyle with the Large backstrap on Gen 4 Glocks. Those performance measurement advantages didn't really hold up over time and then I got to consistently working on SHO and WHO. That led me to conclude that no backstrap is the all around best set up.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    That led me to conclude that no backstrap is the all around best set up.
    This.

It takes me about a case of ammo fired over a couple of months of careful slow fire and speed work to get used to a particular setup. Once I've done that, I can shoot it about as well as whatever I was running before.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

The best process I've come across was as described on the hkpro sight, dealing with HK P30 and VP platforms (but pretty generically applicable to any platform):

"With leaving the side panels alone, swap out the different backstraps, while trying the following: Look at the target object with the pistol at your chest prior to press-out; Close your eyes and keep them closed; Press out the pistol to your natural extended shooting position; Open eyes and see where the front sight s vertically; If the front sight is too low, install a larger backstrap and repeat the above steps; If the front sight is too high, install a smaller backstrap and repeat-ultimately you want to get the front and rear sights aligned for elevation on the target after your press-out."

That made a huge amount of sense to me, so I've applied it to both my HK VP40 and Gen4 Glock G22. What I've found is smaller is better, backstrap-wise, on both platforms. I'm still experimenting with the side panels on my VP40 (finding that the gun shot slightly to the left with a Medium right panel and a Small left panel, I'm now running it with a Small backstrap and Small side panels.

On my Gen4 G22, I started out with the supposition that using the Medium Beavertail backstrap would give me the same profile of my Gen 3 Glocks, and provide greater control/steerability to better deal with the quick pressure spike/higher pressure characteristics of the .40 cartridges I was using. Emoirical use established that I was wrong-with that backstrap, I shot towards the left (and yes, I'm aware of the tendency of the Gen4 G22s to shoot to the left, and my rear sight was moved towards the right of the side to compensate). The problem was significantly diminished by removing the additional backstrap, and running the Gen4 G22 "bare;" i.e., without any additional backstrap.

Best, Jon

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    On my Gen4 G22, I started out with the supposition that using the Medium Beavertail backstrap would give me the same profile of my Gen 3 Glocks, and provide greater control/steerability to better deal with the quick pressure spike/higher pressure characteristics of the .40 cartridges I was using. Emoirical use established that I was wrong-with that backstrap, I shot towards the left (and yes, I'm aware of the tendency of the Gen4 G22s to shoot to the left, and my rear sight was moved towards the right of the side to compensate). The problem was significantly diminished by removing the additional backstrap, and running the Gen4 G22 "bare;" i.e., without any additional backstrap.

Best, Jon
    100% my experience, except that I also shot left with my Gen 3s too... hence why I bought into Gen 4s.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    With longish fingers I have at times convinced myself that I shot better freestyle with the Large backstrap on Gen 4 Glocks. Those performance measurement advantages didn't really hold up over time and then I got to consistently working on SHO and WHO. That led me to conclude that no backstrap is the all around best set up.
    I have XL hands and long fingers also. I shoot my gen 2 and 3 Glocks pretty well, but I've come to prefer no backstrap on the 4th gens also. The smaller circumference allows, for me, better control with less grip pressure variation issues.

I have XL hands with long fingers also. I use the large grip on my issued M&P9.

Off duty, I carry a Gen4 Glock 19. Ever since I retired my Gen3 Glock 19 and started carrying the Gen4, I've used the large backstrap. I recently went to the medium and was surprised at how the combination of sinking more finger and of the smaller size improved my consistency. I didn't even think to try the Gen4 without any backstrap. Now you have me thinking...

The gen4 G19 I bought a while back felt great at the LGS without any backstrap. The I went to the range and it didn't work at all (too much hand, not enough gun), I put the medium backstrap on and it felt (and worked) as well as my Gen3s. Tried the large backstrap and it was ok but a bit too much. The gen3 size on Glocks seems to be my sweetspot, probably because of the time I have on them.

Strangely enough, I expected the medium backstrap on the VP9 to work the same but it didn't. The hump just dug unpleasantly in my palm and actually lowered my hand in the grip (the same way that a high hump can do the same on a G26, though without the hurt); I put on the large backstrap and the problem went away. Maybe I should try the small one on the VP9 to find out if it makes a difference.

Whatever helps me get the most consistent grip and trigger pull.

I use none on Gen 4 Glocks. Feels best and I shoot best.

I use Medium on P30. Small feels best, but I shoot better with small sides/medium backstrap.

I used Medium on M&P 9 FS and Compact. Small felt best, but shot better with Medium.

I used Small on M&P 45 FS and Compact. Small felt best and I shot best.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    FWIW, I actually compared Gen 3 and Gen 4 (no backstrap) 9mm glock 19s and 17s using a variety of tests. Turns out that I shoot drills best with whatever gun I used most recently, and the differences are small and the variance pretty large.

However, when shooting on a square range at a fixed target with no time limit or transitions, I find that I don't push shots left with the Gen 4 guns, but do with the gen 3 guns. When you put me on a timer, the left push goes away. Super weird, but it's why I carry the Gen 4.

I like to have as much as my support hand as possible touching the gun and I realy smash and clamp it in there.... Too big seems to be better than too small.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 07-23-2016 at 07:53 PM.
    A71593

User Tag List