Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BJJ is wreaking my body

BJJ is wreaking my body

Hi all, I know this isn't a bjj forum but the last post I had asking about BJJ vs Krav Maga was fantastic advice and surprised so many have had great experience in this. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....u-or-Krav-Maga

So quick background. I'm 52(next month) and in good shape for my age and just over two months ago started BJJ based on so many great responses to my original post. First two weeks I couldn't believe how clueless I was but started to pick things up and began to really enjoy it and doing well, received my first white strip within that month. During first two weeks I had pretty bad lower back pain but ran across some excellent back stretching exercises that seem to solve that issue.

Here I am starting my 3rd month and my body is taking a beating. Jammed toes, and fingers, back gets strained frequently and overall my body is slow to recover. Knees swelling (have always had a bad knee). Finding that I can barely make it twice a week. So I'm already getting to the point and wondering if its worth it. I enjoy learning the techniques but disappointing with the constant nagging injuries and it has me questioning if I want to do this if I am staying injured all the time. Going once or twice a week doesn't seem to really be worth it but maybe I just need to focus on learning "one" technique for the week. It's the practice/repetition that I need but that's becoming difficult. It's frustrating that I can't seem to go more because when I was going 3 to 4 times a week, I was learning quickly, but that has slowed quite a bit.

Any advice would be appreciated because at this point the frustration level with the little injuries is getting to the point that I question is it even worth it. The past month, each time I've rested enough, the very next roll it all starts again.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Hi all, I know this isn't a bjj forum but the last post I had asking about BJJ vs Krav Maga was fantastic advice and surprised so many have had great experience in this. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....u-or-Krav-Maga

So quick background. I'm 52(next month) and in good shape for my age and just over two months ago started BJJ based on so many great responses to my original post. First two weeks I couldn't believe how clueless I was but started to pick things up and began to really enjoy it and doing well, received my first white strip within that month. During first two weeks I had pretty bad lower back pain but ran across some excellent back stretching exercises that seem to solve that issue.

Here I am starting my 3rd month and my body is taking a beating. Jammed toes, and fingers, back gets strained frequently and overall my body is slow to recover. Knees swelling (have always had a bad knee). Finding that I can barely make it twice a week. So I'm already getting to the point and wondering if its worth it. I enjoy learning the techniques but disappointing with the constant nagging injuries and it has me questioning if I want to do this if I am staying injured all the time. Going once or twice a week doesn't seem to really be worth it but maybe I just need to focus on learning "one" technique for the week. It's the practice/repetition that I need but that's becoming difficult. It's frustrating that I can't seem to go more because when I was going 3 to 4 times a week, I was learning quickly, but that has slowed quite a bit.

Any advice would be appreciated because at this point the frustration level with the little injuries is getting to the point that I question is it even worth it. The past month, each time I've rested enough, the very next roll it all starts again.
    I'm 54 and I think I've broken most of my fingers and one thumb since I started martial arts training about 26 years ago -- along with various other injuries. I don't sweat those injuries but other things like pulled tendons definitely take a long time to heal now. I've had two nagging tendon injuries that just won't heal and they are holding me back somewhat until they do. I'm not sure it's possible to get around the fact that at our age even minor injuries are a bigger deal.

Don't feel pressured to keep up with younger people -- you need to find the workout regimen that works for you. Find a balance between working out frequently enough to keep improving your skills vs. allowing your body time to recover. Also, while BJJ is excellent it isn't necessarily the best option for everyone.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I can only speak to my own experience, but I can tell you that as my familiarity with the art grew, my vigor during rolling sessions decreased significantly. I took the energy output way down, and really focused on trying to make the techniques work, rather than trying to manhandle my partner. Once I made that transition, a lot of the little injuries you're describing became much less frequent.

But at the end of the day, go at your own pace. You've no reason to try to keep up with a crossfitter half your age. So if you know you're about to hit your limit, just call it a day. If you moving at your own pace is greeted with derision, find another gym.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I'm 32 and a white belt, and I beat myself up pretty badly almost every practice. Then I strained a muscle in my chest, and had to make myself slow down and calm down or breathing hurts the next day.

and I'm still learning

You don't have to win. You don't have to scramble. Slow down, work your technique. If that means you end up on bottom more often, learn to be comfortable and unassailable on bottom.

Watch this match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x5ycQ1mOyI

Now, some people say this is a boring match, but for what you're talking about -- watch how unassailable Ryron Gracie is while spending the first fifteen minutes almost completely relaxed. Galvao is one of the best out there, and he can't tap him.

You don't need to fight like a young guy, *especially* as a white belt you isn't competing. Ease up, tape your fingers, let yourself heal, and just keep learning.
    Last edited by ford.304; 07-12-2016 at 09:34 AM.

I'll give a different perspective and challenge you to weigh the injury against your life goals and make a smart decision. Most people who train in any type of contact sport/activity are accustomed to dealing with niggling aches and pains. When those start to affect your daily quality of life it may be time to either adjust the level of effort you're giving -or- move on to something else that you find fulfilling.

In my prime I spent ten years in an MMA type environment and loved every minute of it. At that time I was capable of shrugging off the expected jammed fingers/toes, strained joints, etc because I was able to recover quickly. Fast-forward to today where I’ve been a desk-jockey for almost twenty years and I can no longer engage in something like BJJ to the level I find satisfying. In fact, I joined a local Gracie-Barra school a few months ago and promptly exacerbated and already existing labral tear in my shoulder. I took my own advice and moved on.

I'm 48, retired military, been training in various martial arts from age 12, and have a black belt in Jiu Jitsu. Best advise I can offer is find a seniors group and role with them. Problem with younger folks is that they are competing for Olympic Gold every time they get on the mat, may not have a lot of skill, and use brute force as a substitute. When you role with someone who fits that description; tap - do that enough times and they will get the message and lighten up. Another great technique I got from my Sensei is to have everyone tell the class what injuries they have prior to rolling. Lastly, it takes me 3 times longer to heal at this age so I avoid injuries like the plague and have changed how I workout. Much more conditioning and stretching and cut weight lifting to 5X5s three times a week.

Site Supporter
    Jammed toes, and fingers, back gets strained frequently and overall my body is slow to recover.
    I had similar issues when I first started, but I was also training 5 days a week and even twice a day a few times. That didn't last long. A couple of things that helped me were:
    -wrestling shoes
    -tapping fingers
    -supplements
    -going easy or learning to flow while rolling

You can also learn a ton from just twice a week. If you're worried about the practice/repetition, I would also suggest watching videos on the technique and/or visualizing the techniques. Another thing I would do is lay on the floor and practice the technique on an invisible partner. Sounds funny, but a few of my peers were caught off guard, when we were rolling. Visualization helps.

Unless you are a very rare person, your mobility probably sucks. Look up how to do kettlebell arm bars (the mobility exercise not the joint lock), goblet squats and hip bridges. Do 3 circuits of 1 arm bar/side, 5 hip bridges and 5 goblet squats. Also do frog stretches. Jon Engum is a mobility/stretching guru and has a YouTube video explaining frog stretch. His book Flexible Steel is great. I found it for $15 on Amazon.

Also, it takes a while for your body to get used to all the rubbing and impact. Do not try to win when you are rolling.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Based on some of the things you said like "how fast I am picking things up", you are probably going far harder and with more intensity than is desirable. BJJ is too complex to be picked up fast, unless you are an elite level athlete in your 20's and with no outside responsibilities.

My advice is to relax a little, and just focus on learning and applying the techniques and movements you are being taught. Don't get caught up in "winning". I have quite literally seen thousands of noobs go hard in the beginning, and then hit a wall because there technique or understanding of the art is stagnant because they needed to do well. That is one of the reasons so many people quit early.

Take the long view and pace yourself. Enjoy the ride and enjoy each class. Leave your ego off the mat.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

At 30, I just picked back up with combative sports after about a 15-year layoff. It did not take long at the boxing gym before I managed to jam three fingers and develop capsulitis in my left foot. Taping and proper footwear moved me back towards healthy. Taking my intensity down a notch helped prevent the other nagging injuries (like throwing a punch so hard that I aggravate my existing carpal tunnel). Weight lifting has helped by back and core a ton. Now when I'm at the gym, I focus on cardio and core training exclusively. A strong core makes it so I don't have to work my appendages as hard to generate the same kind of force.

You're probably not only going with a bit too much intensity. But are you supplementing BJJ with another regimented workout program? Cardio is good for stamina, lifting for core strength will help you a ton by not asking your joints and appendages to do all the work. Tape your fingers and toes and ice them on off days. Those joints cannot heal properly without stability. After 2.5 months of nagging foot pain. I finally got serious about taping, icing, and properly supporting my toes on off-days, it's helped turn what was a pretty painful injury into something much more manageable (even still, I may have to have a steroid injection to reduce inflammation at some point in the near future).

User Tag List