Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Midlength Gas Systems (split from the Colt Midlength thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Sadmin View Post
    How many rounds do you have on that noveske? Asking because my 14.5 BCM mid didn't start to show problems until north of 4k...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    4 to 5k. What issues did your bcm have?

FTFs... anything from PMC to IMI m193. I wrote BCM at the time of the issues and they had me send the upper in. This was back when they pinned the GB but they noted significant leakage around it.
    Last edited by Sadmin; 07-23-2016 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadmin View Post
    FTFs... anything from PMC to IMI m193. I wrote BCM at the time of the issues and they had me send the upper in. This was back when they pinned the GB but they noted significant leakage around it.
    Was it returned to you, fixed? This does not sound like a middy problem. More like a qa/qc problem.

Yes... in part. I could no longer utilize H2 buffers. No biggy, and you are probably correct. Just flinched me enough to stick with 16" middys because: gun forum induced fear. I dont go around advocating against 14.5s or anything - I was just interested in the Noveske history.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    It's probably dumb for me to even enter into this thread as i lack the information to really explain the WHY of anything that follows.

But one thing I can say about mid-length gas systems: I do deal with Colt Canada who do an absolutely absurd degree of testing on every aspect of their guns. For example, they use a specific texture on their specific polymer stocks to prevent beard freezing below a specific temperature, as identified through (presumably unpleasant) experimentation. And their C8 carbine has a 15.7" barrel because testing in 0.1" increments identified an accuracy node with NATO ammo at that length. The fact that increasing it to 16" would allow them to potentially investigate selling to the largest AR market on the planet means nothing to them. There is an absolute lack of interest in doing anything for marketing, or even sales, purposes at Colt Canada.

Anyway...they do not use a standard gas system. I don't know the dimensions on my IUR offhand, but it's not a normal carbine system. And Colt Canada absolutely adhere to the "no deviation without performance gains" ethos.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    It's probably dumb for me to even enter into this thread as i lack the information to really explain the WHY of anything that follows.

But one thing I can say about mid-length gas systems: I do deal with Colt Canada who do an absolutely absurd degree of testing on every aspect of their guns. For example, they use a specific texture on their specific polymer stocks to prevent beard freezing below a specific temperature, as identified through (presumably unpleasant) experimentation. And their C8 carbine has a 15.7" barrel because testing in 0.1" increments identified an accuracy node with NATO ammo at that length. The fact that increasing it to 16" would allow them to potentially investigate selling to the largest AR market on the planet means nothing to them. There is an absolute lack of interest in doing anything for marketing, or even sales, purposes at Colt Canada.

Anyway...they do not use a standard gas system. I don't know the dimensions on my IUR offhand, but it's not a normal carbine system. And Colt Canada absolutely adhere to the "no deviation without performance gains" ethos.

http://www.coltcanada.com/c8-carbines.html

Per their website, the C8 has a "special carbine chamber and gas system."
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    http://www.coltcanada.com/c8-carbines.html

Per their website, the C8 has a "special carbine chamber and gas system."
    Just was looking at that myself. If its different than the standard, it isn't as long as a mid, for whatever reason/however they changed it.

Barrel is interesting. Looks like a sleeve over the barrel with a stop for a bayonet. Sort of the opposite of m4 grenade launcher cuts.

Yeah. The gas tube is, iirc, not only an oddball length, closer to carbine than mid, but it's also straight.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Maple Syrup Actual; 07-24-2016 at 12:08 AM.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Yeah. The gas tube is, iirc, not only an oddball length, closer to carbine than mid, but it's also straight.

We don't make any judgements on gas tube orientation around here, or which restroom it uses.

Well, if people here can be that welcoming, then I guess I'll admit that I believe that the dimensions are such that it could go both ways.

User Tag List