Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Midlength Gas Systems (split from the Colt Midlength thread)

Midlength Gas Systems (split from the Colt Midlength thread)

While I personally think that most of the midlength hype is just that, the fact remains that it's what the market thinks it wants, however stupid, uneducated, safe-stuffing, dirt-shooting, wannabe-operator that market may be. Colt, if they want to get serious about the hobbyist market, needs a midlength with a decent extended handguard from the factory. That's not physics, engineering, or TDP, that's marketing.

I, for one, can't wait to see this new offering. I've long been unable to tell someone "go down to Bass Pro and get an X" answer to the "what AR should I get?" question, since everyone wants (or thinks they want) a midlength and a gorilla-arm handguard. Frankly, the gas-tube length for me is maybe 10% of my enthusiasm for this new gun with the handguard being 90%. I sincerely hope they ship it with an MLOK QD swivel for the buyer to place as-desired, and a decent set of metal flip-up sites.

[split from the Colt Midlength thread --TJ]

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Yeah, a midlength gas system and some furniture is awesome progress. Their incision into the vast market void is breathtaking.
    Colt is a pretty large company and takes longer to turn the corner. And it's more than a mid gas and Monty's new handguard. It's a free-floated factory Colt which only recently was available as the OEM2 and as a limited purchase for federal agents of a certain organization. In 2016 with optics as reliable as they are, and quality BUIS I don't see any reason to tolerate the FSB that Colt held onto for so long. I don't want my sling or hand guards touching my bbl and affecting POI. I don't want limited choices in where to put my light or hands unless I have the benefit of a SBR configuration. I don't want an iron sight taking up part of the view through my optic.

Nobody suggested it was a drastic change, and they are certainly late to the party. But many of us don't want or need the same carbine configuration my Dad used in 1965. Bottom line is if you don't like/want/need it, don't buy it. I'll never understand why people feel the need to go into a thread about something they don't want just to make a negative comment that is in no way constructive.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Frankly, the gas-tube length for me is maybe 10% of my enthusiasm for this new gun with the handguard being 90%. I sincerely hope they ship it with an MLOK QD swivel for the buyer to place as-desired, and a decent set of metal flip-up sites.
    This ^^^^^

I think it's kind of funny that Colt is coming out with a mid-length about the same time most every mid-length on the market is over-gassed compared to a 6920.

I'm of the opinion that mid-length gas is pure b.s., but I own one, and my other three ARs are KAC SR-15s.

I'll buy one of these Colts for the barrel and the rail. Colt's chrome lined barrels are only equaled by KAC.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I think it's kind of funny that Colt is coming out with a mid-length about the same time most every mid-length on the market is over-gassed compared to a 6920.

I'm of the opinion that mid-length gas is pure b.s., but I own one, and my other three ARs are KAC SR-15s.

I'll buy one of these Colts for the barrel and the rail. Colt's chrome lined barrels are only equaled by KAC.

I don't think it makes much of a difference but to call it bull shit is a stretch.

Why?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

IMO/E, the manufacturer determines (by choice or incompetence) whether or not a system will be over-gassed, not the system length itself.

It's interesting that you feel that way about mid-length's and at the same time only own mid-length's or longer (unless you have a ten year old SR15 M4).

I bought the KACs for the E3 bolt, barrel profile, and URX3.1. I bought the BCM mid for the SS410 barrel and KMR. I don't like the government profile and won't own one as they don't do anything for me.

If there was a carbine tube under all those 13"+ hand guards, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

I bought the KACs for the E3 bolt, barrel profile, and URX3.1. I bought the BCM mid for the SS410 barrel and KMR. I don't like the government profile and won't own one as they don't do anything for me.

If there was a carbine tube under all those 13"+ hand guards, it wouldn't bother me a bit.
    Indifference is fine, but your previous comment was much stronger. Why do you think mid-length gas is BS?

Can you give examples of "most every mid-length on the market is over-gassed compared to a 6920"?

I happen to also think it's largely BS. The gas tube, gas pressure, gas fiddle-fuck thing is one of those cases where people start spouting a bunch of numbers and tests and shoulder feel but never really seem to come up with any sort of actual, measurable, tangible, benefits to the deviation.

I don't begrudge anyone the midlength, but I happen to think that where the bullets meet the target it's largely BS as well.

But, again, I think Colt's move here is more about marketing than engineering, and I'm fine with that.

User Tag List