Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Midlength Gas Systems (split from the Colt Midlength thread)

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If anyone can find a downloadable version of the actual CRANE presentation document, that would be awesome. I did a quick google and didn't find it, although given the subject matter, that doesn't mean it's not readily available.

I am a fan of original sources.
    https://partner-mco-archive.s3.amazo...1527866983.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Question: I see that the test used M855A1 as ammo and a 14.5" barrel with a midlength gas system. Doesn't the use of essentially a +P round along with what I understand is an under gassed midlength system (16" is right but 14.5" makes it a bit under gassed for mid lengths, I was told, but I'm no expert) make the results less comparable than using a regular 5.56 pressure round and comparing a 14.5" carbine vs a 16" midlength? or would it make no difference?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Question: I see that the test used M855A1 as ammo and a 14.5" barrel with a midlength gas system. Doesn't the use of essentially a +P round along with what I understand is an under gassed midlength system (16" is right but 14.5" makes it a bit under gassed for mid lengths, I was told, but I'm no expert) make the results less comparable than using a regular 5.56 pressure round and comparing a 14.5" carbine vs a 16" midlength? or would it make no difference?
    What primarily controls gas is the gas port diameter. The length from gas port to muzzle (Carbine, Middy, Rifle, etc.) determines how long there will be usable pressure at the gas port (which has nothing to do with how long the bullet is in the bore).

While the carbine length system takes longer to blow down, the middy taps into the barrel where gas pressure is lower. The higher the pressure, the tighter the tolerance of the port diameter must be to achieve the correct gas flow. It's about achieving a balance between blow down time and pressure at the gas port to provide good gas flow to the BCG.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 07-18-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    M855a1 is not "+P". Its the same pressure as m855 currently as best as I can tell.

Site Supporter
    Isn’t a1 just a new bullet design?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Isn’t a1 just a new bullet design?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, but there are other new components as well, and the early lots used a very high pressure loading. They have been backing off on it for years, and it's currently hanging out around M855 spec, or a touch cooler.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 07-20-2018 at 07:17 AM.

User Tag List