Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I can (and did) pull trigger while gun is in Safariland ALS...WTF

I tried this, and could touch, but not pull, the trigger with my index finger. My middle finger could not even reach the trigger. My quite thin pinkie was able to get onto the trigger face, and dry-fire my G19, but it was painful to reach far enough to do so. I must emphasize that I really do have skinny pinkies, and it was not easy to reach the trigger. In the real world, I am not going to sit still while someone tries to fire my holstered weapon. If I am unconscious, or incapacitated, an opponent would probably find it quicker to simply figure out how to defeat the retention devices.

If the context is a child firing the holstered weapon, while the rig is unattended, well, again, I would be more concerned about the child defeating the retention devices.

I still believe the ALS+SLS Safariland holster is a very good system, far better than the SSIII/070, which I loathed, as it tended to compromise one's ability to quickly, consistently, and expediently attain a proper firing grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I tried this, and could touch, but not pull, the trigger with my index finger. My middle finger could not even reach the trigger. My quite thin pinkie was able to get onto the trigger face, and dry-fire my G19, but it was painful to reach far enough to do so. I must emphasize that I really do have skinny pinkies, and it was not easy to reach the trigger. In the real world, I am not going to sit still while someone tries to fire my holstered weapon. If I am unconscious, or incapacitated, an opponent would probably find it quicker to simply figure out how to defeat the retention devices.

If the context is a child firing the holstered weapon, while the rig is unattended, well, again, I would be more concerned about the child defeating the retention devices.

I still believe the ALS+SLS Safariland holster is a very good system, far better than the SSIII/070, which I loathed, as it tended to compromise one's ability to quickly, consistently, and expediently attain a proper firing grip.

As the video probably illustrates, it was not difficult at all for me.

What was the exact holster model and what light?

I like the ALS + SLS and have one such holster for a G19, but this was intended to be a sweatshirt/jacket concealment holster more than anything else (some range use and maybe incidental open carry) and I don't know of a mid/high ride ALS/SLS with WML compatibility that could pull the concealment part off, really

I ended up deciding to keep the holster since it appears that's just the the way it is with a holster that fits a light that size. I don't think I"ll use it as much as I originally intended but since there are no obviously superior options this will be 'it'
    Last edited by Steaz; 07-22-2016 at 08:59 PM.

Progress: Today I received a Theis IWB hoslter for an HK VP9 with attached TLR-1 (HL) and it is significantly more difficult to pull the trigger while holstered.

The holster definitely has less gap at the rear of the trigger guard and the paddle mag release also seems to help. Seriously much more difficult to get to the front face of the trigger. This I like.

Old news. Most light barring holsters have some type of gap like that. Can a finger get in there? Yes. How often does a finger get in there? I haven't heard of it. 1. don't let anyone get that close to you. 2. If you are that worried, don't carry a light on your gun.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -- Winston Churchill
    C.A. P.C. 832

Quote Originally Posted by saints75 View Post
    Old news. Most light barring holsters have some type of gap like that. Can a finger get in there? Yes. How often does a finger get in there? I haven't heard of it. 1. don't let anyone get that close to you. 2. If you are that worried, don't carry a light on your gun.
    If you haven't heard of it you haven't read this thread.

Don't let anyone get that close to you? Seriously, how do you live life or exist outside of your own home literally never letting anybody get close to you? In the real world for normal folks like myself that is simply impossible. I mean, if you can simply never let anybody get close to you, why even buy a holster with retention devices in the first place? Not that the two are necessarily related as a lot of things could accidentally end up in there if there is that much room, but really...we/I can't just decide to never let anybody be close to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Other holsters have this problem as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Safariland holsters with provisions for WMLs have been known to have this gap for some models. Happened here: http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/...reading-event/
    Third post of the thread ^ links to a police officer having his pistol fired by a child while at a reading event. In the holster. Because of this.
    Last edited by Steaz; 07-24-2016 at 12:05 AM.

It's a geometry problem: trigger-guards are generally 1/2"-5/8" wide, and 2-BA123 lights are generally 1-1/2" wide. The problem can be mitigated some by running as tight a channel as possible, and extending it as far up the holster as able; but eventually, running material higher will be in conflict with asserting a full firing grip from the get-go.

I suspect that one could reduce it a bit further with some artful forming, but it'd require a holster design that is less mutually-reinforcing and that can flex open on demand a bit more; but that brings its own problems, which include eventual repetitive-motion related cracking, not being viable for duty-type holster designs and kydex thicknesses, and adding an additional resistance to the draw-stroke.

Yeah...apparently what we really need is for LED technology (and the circuitry and possibly batteries) to continue to improve until they reach the point that nobody really wants or needs a light wider than the dust cover/trigger guard...XC1 size basically.

7390 duty holster w/ TLR1-HL

I can get my pinky finger in there at the right angle but not as easy as some of the 6000 series that I've seen

Name:  IMG_0890.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  40.5 KBName:  IMG_0889.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  37.6 KB

User Tag List