Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Round Test: Vortex Venom RDS (on a Glock 17 MOS)

Vending Machine Operator
    Glad I found this thread. Checked out the Venom and Viper at the LGS last night and the Venom really tickled my fancy.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Glad I found this thread. Checked out the Venom and Viper at the LGS last night and the Venom really tickled my fancy.
    I just put a Viper on a 17MOS a couple weeks ago. One of the things that really annoys me about the Viper is that you can't access the locking screws with the rds on the gun, they are right behind the rear sight.

So is the Venom a viable option for a carry gun or should one drop the extra 400 bucks for an RMR? Everything I'm reading here is making it hard to justify the extra expense.

There are no mrds available today that are really duty worthy. For everyone who has a good experi4nce with X sight, there are others who had it fail. I have had most of them fail over the years, and my use has not been hard or continuous. I also have friends at all the top tier mrds companies, and they do not consider their products to be duty ready for Handguns either. Clue?

I really enjoy shooting dot guns, and I'm excited to see what the future brings.

In the meantime, a laser will do pretty much everything you want a dot to do, and it will do it with less fuss. None of the lasers out there are fully mature either, but they work more reliably than mrds. They are also easier to accommodate (usually) and if they fail, the gun is generally more shoot able and use able than if the mrds fails.

I'm currently running a TLR-2 HL G, and I am really liking it. Working on a good holster now.

For LE, a weapons light can be very important, but for civilians, it is not. If you can't carry or don't want to carry a light laser combo, then even a simple CT rail master will get the job done. Not as high quality as the Streamlight or Surefire stuff, but very small and easy to carry. I use my left thumb to activate the TLR switch, and that works for the rail master as well. If your gun takes a decent set of CT lasergrips, even better. Mine does not, and I prefer not to mess with my grip. I view the laser as a supplement, not a replacement for irons. The target focus ability is pretty big, and for certain types of clearing it is a big help.

If you don't like it, you are not out much time money or effort.

Hopefully the optic and light laser tech will dramatically improve sooner than later.

I also believe that training with a laser makes your presentation better, faster than any other way. That translates to quick easy use of the MRDS. If you are slower with the MRDS than with irons, you're just not as good as you think yet, possible physical issues aside
    Last edited by SLG; 01-12-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    There are no mrds available today that are really duty worthy. For everyone who has a good experi4nce with X sight, there are others who had it fail. I have had most of them fail over the years, and my use has not been hard or continuous. I also have friends at all the top tier mrds companies, and they do not consider their products to be duty ready for Handguns either. Clue?

I really enjoy shooting dot guns, and I'm excited to see what the future brings.

In the meantime, a laser will do pretty much everything you want a dot to do, and it will do it with less fuss. (snipped)
    I, too, am anticipating what the MRDS future may bring, as my eyes are starting to need the help. I want a duty-capable MRDS! For now, PD policy* is iron-sight-only, but I will probably be retiring soon, anyway. I am about to try a T-1, with an ALG 6-Second Mount, which is a quite low frame mount, on a G17, and probably acquire an MRDS to try on a M.O.S., to test the concept. (I have enough Glocks to commit some to being test-beds.)

I am very interested in laser technology progress, too, though I am not allowed to use lasers, either.

A WML is important, indeed; I can actually see a WML-illumated target, in low light, better than a many daylight targets, in many lighting conditions, as older eyes do not handle glare as well as younger eyes.

*PD policy on duty/carry weapons applies 24/7.
    Last edited by Rex G; 01-12-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Heh. There I was at my favorite LGS and passed on a Blue Label Glock 19 Gen 4 MOS.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I also believe that training with a laser makes your presentation better, faster than any other way.
    Noted!
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Hi Risk Customer Services
    I have a Glock 17 with Unity Atom slide that I have assembled to begin testing the MRDS concept for myself. I am beginning to lean towards the Venom instead of the RMR06 as my first optic. Can anyone here help me out with which Unity adapter plate I will need for the Venom? I read over on AR15 that it has the same footprint/mount set up as the Insight Tech MRDS but am looking for confirmation.

Also, the Atom slide sits the optic higher up than a direct mill job. Would a set of Dawson MOS sights give me a proper lower 1/3 cowitness?

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Got a reply email from Unity Tactical customer service. Currently none of their mounting plates are compatible with the Vortex Venom. They have a mount in development for the Venom but are not able to provide a timeframe as to when it may be available. Just a heads up to anyone here with an Atom slide.

I just ordered a MOS 17 and will be setting it up the same.

OP, have you experienced any other issues with your setup?

Thanks,

JR1572

User Tag List