Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2000 Round Test: Vortex Venom RDS (on a Glock 17 MOS)

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Oh and $229.99 is what they go for but call us at 916.670.1103 for P-F member pricing
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Just concluded an experiment with a Glock 19 MOS with a Vortex Venom mounted. It did not go well for me. First, I will disclose that I am 57 and have had 6 different eye surgeries over my lifetime including Radial Keratotomy in one eye, detached retina fixed with scheleral buckle, cataract surgery, lasik in the other eye, and some capsilotomy(?) thing in one eye. All that said, I have been able to see pretty well with 20/30 vision and recently the need for 1.75 Readers.

A few years ago I noticed I wasn't seeing the sights as well, and I switched to Ameriglos with a .180 rear notch, and a .140 front sight. Voila, could see great again with the big light bars. Recently, with all the Optics talk, I picked up a G19 MOS when I saw one, since a few have mentioned here how hard they were to find. I have never looked through a red dot before, and I didn't want to spend $600 on an RMR for an experiment. There were no red-dots in stock around town (most people have bought them up for the ARs I was told). I ordered a Vortex Venom from Amazon after viewing this thread.

First, I will say my 25 yd shooting is not nearly as good as people on here. I do keep extensive records by gun, by ammo of all of my groups, and have a running average of the last 40 10 shot groups by each gun in a spreadsheet (these are over multi- years' time). My most current G19 averages with Lawman 147 and my 147 reloads is 92 per 10 shot group.

I managed only a 75 average over 3 different days and 16 total 10 shot groups with the Vortex Venom. I had to use the dot on the lowest setting, because anything higher bloomed too much (RK scars probably). I thought maybe the dot wasn't holding zero, so I had a friend who normally shoots around 90 at 25 yds try it. After a sight-in group to see where POI was, he promptly shot a 97,98, and a 96.

I guess I will end up selling this gun and dot, but the problem apparently is me, not the gun. It looks like red-dots are a definite no for me.

UPDATE TO TEST

I found out that if you leave the Venom on manual mode (where it is supposed to stay "on" constantly without automatic brightness adjustment) it will turn off if you leave it dormant for more than 10 hours and incidentally push any of the up/down buttons once. So what I thought was a spontaneous turning off of the dot turned out to be me pushing on the up/down button while manipulating the gun. However if you push it again, the dot turns on and remains on. You have to leave it dormant again to make it happen. I sent the Venom back to Vortex. I spoke to their CS and technician. They state that this is part of the design (unfortunately) and not outside of specifications. Thus, that's the way it is. It is on its way back from Wisconsin. I promptly bought a RMR06 and will try that out. In the end I cannot recommend the Venom for defensive use because it can turn off on you, but it is a great sight otherwise. I will probably mount it my AK.

I wonder how it's emitter handles rain eh?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    I just put on a RMR06. So far not so good. It is going back to Trijicon. It dims itself automatically with recoil. May come back on the next shot, may not.

Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    I just put on a RMR06. So far not so good. It is going back to Trijicon. It dims itself automatically with recoil. May come back on the next shot, may not.
    I just had the same problem with the RMR06 I bought to replace the Venom! With shooting it would dim down and occasionally off. Not all of the time though. It is on the G17 MOS with a Trijicon factory protective plate. I went home, took it apart (looks good) and changed the battery. Will try it again. If it does it again, off to Trijicon it goes. I'm afraid to try a 3rd model. I just might stick with the Venom after all. This micro RDS business is not encouraging at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    I just had the same problem with the RMR06 I bought to replace the Venom! With shooting it would dim down and occasionally off. Not all of the time though. It is on the G17 MOS with a Trijicon factory protective plate. I went home, took it apart (looks good) and changed the battery. Will try it again. If it does it again, off to Trijicon it goes. I'm afraid to try a 3rd model. I just might stick with the Venom after all. This micro RDS business is not encouraging at all.
    Put some tape on the bottom of the battery, to add thickness, and hold the battery in tighter.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Put some tape on the bottom of the battery, to add thickness, and hold the battery in tighter.
    Yep. I put a small strip of electrical tape on the bottom and had zero issues(06 model). The internet says that works for everybody, I'd give it a shot before you send it back.
    Last edited by Luke; 08-13-2016 at 07:34 AM.
    i used to wannabe

Site Supporter
    I am an old USPSA shooter who remembers when we first started using red dots on our competition pistols - "add tape" , "dot dims", "dot goes out" were constant themes. Over time and with enough customer demand, the various red dots improved.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    UPDATE TO TEST

I found out that if you leave the Venom on manual mode (where it is supposed to stay "on" constantly without automatic brightness adjustment) it will turn off if you leave it dormant for more than 10 hours and incidentally push any of the up/down buttons once. So what I thought was a spontaneous turning off of the dot turned out to be me pushing on the up/down button while manipulating the gun. However if you push it again, the dot turns on and remains on. You have to leave it dormant again to make it happen. I sent the Venom back to Vortex. I spoke to their CS and technician. They state that this is part of the design (unfortunately) and not outside of specifications. Thus, that's the way it is. It is on its way back from Wisconsin. I promptly bought a RMR06 and will try that out. In the end I cannot recommend the Venom for defensive use because it can turn off on you, but it is a great sight otherwise. I will probably mount it my AK.
    I recently milled my Walther for a Viper RDS. When you turn it on, it stays on for 13 hours (a duty shift) and then turns off. Turning it off and on resets the 13 hours. I sighted it in, and have not had any problems. Of course I only have about 1,000 rounds through it.

User Tag List