Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes, another f***ing SHOE post

Yes, another f***ing SHOE post

OK, all y'all superstuds, give me your advice. I'm in need of two (2) pairs of shoes. First, I need a summer weight, breathable "hiker" style suitable for work and casual wear (work attire is very casual - jeans/untucked shirts most often). Second, I need a pair of walking/elliptical ready "athletic" shoes for, well, walking and elliptical use. Due to an enormous list of injuries I won't go into, my "running" is limited to twice a year lumbering around the 1.5 mile track for my physical fitness test. I do like to spend 45 minutes a day or so on the elliptical, and I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback who would gladly walk 12-15 miles a day, if I had nothing better to do... In case you didn't know it 6'1" and 240# - so I put a lot of stress on my feet (not to mention my hips, knees, ankles, etc).

Right now, I'm wearing Keen Targhee IIs for daily wear. I love them, especially the wider "toe box" because I have feet like a duck, and I have to wear custom orthotics due to pronation issues and general fucked-up-ness in my feet. Downsides to Keens - the soles are for shit and are prone to coming apart. My current pair needed to be gorilla-glued back together within 6 months. Also, while they're awesome for the winter, being waterproof, for summer wear my feet smell like a gut shot water buffalo by the end of the day, and I can wring my socks out after a long day on my feet. Oh, and they're heavy, like concrete shoes to keep you pinned to the bottom of the ocean heavy. The only Keen shoe that looks similar but summer-friendly is the Voyageur Mid - but, they spelled "Voyageur" like Frenchmen, and, we all know about them...

For tennies, I've been wearing Asics Gel Kayano (X?) for a long while, but when I ordered a pair a couple of months back, the current iteration is completely different - and very uncomfortable.

So, let's hear it. Give me your thoughts on summer wear light hikers and general walking/(barely) athletic shoes.

Thanks!

Sorry, couldn't resist. That said, I wear them during the summer.
    Last edited by Chuteur; 05-30-2017 at 02:58 PM.

I just wear Salomons around now for the most part, a lot of the non-DWR models are pretty breathable (DWR is useless and so is waterproofing shoes IMO). Some fit very narrow, and some fit great for my slightly wide feet, so YMMV.

I can't speak to durability just yet as I haven't worn a pair long enough. I have a shoe curse though and nothing I wear lasts any amount of time despite my lazy ass office lifestyle, so I'm just waiting for the day my Salomons explode like everything else I've owned.

I would recommend you wear nicer socks when you can to combat the stink (Defeet makes some nice light merino wool type socks but they're a little pricey compared to Wally World cheapos). Don't use Gorilla Glue to fix soles as it's designed to solidify and shoes need to be able to flex; something like Shoe Goo, Aquaseal, etc for delamination and hole repairs is far superior and won't crumble off 3 days later.

Once you find the perfect shoe buy 10 pairs. Everyone fits a little differently and by the time you find your great pair the company will decide to discontinue that model forever.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    How about offerings from Hoka, super shock absorbent and the model lines include trail soles and "running" ones as well.
    Sierra Trading Post is a great first stop in this realm.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00D1H0Z...ter_B00E8AOZPY

Merrell All Out series is excellent.
    Instagram @JuryTrialJedi

Merrell all out charge are my favorites. Just wore them for a part of a three day pistol class. I am not a small man and these are great.

https://smile.amazon.com/Merrell-Men...ding=UTF8&th=1
    Instagram @JuryTrialJedi

If you want something more sturdy a true "hiker" and lave to toe functionality I love these. I wore them on another day of the three day class. On my feet all day no worries. I hunt, fish and hike in these if I expect rough going or if I need to have a lower profile shoe (no neon green and such).

Name:  ab77c53eda3b1c148b915df3287cd94f.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  30.2 KB

https://smile.amazon.com/Vasque-Multi...B14&th=1&psc=1
    Instagram @JuryTrialJedi

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    How about offerings from Hoka, super shock absorbent and the model lines include trail soles and "running" ones as well.
    Sierra Trading Post is a great first stop in this realm.
    Can I just say: I had some Hoka from REI last summer, I love the principle, but on my very first 6 mile circuit with them I had blisters at the half way point and had to live with that till I got back home. I took them back the next day and the guy in the shop told me they get quite a few returns with the same issue, he was not too kind about them at all.

Years ago in the military I complained about my boot fit and an older wiser soldier told me to rip out the lowest bid insoles and replace them with sports insoles. Never looked back, best piece of duty footwear advice I ever got.

Same with trainers if you are looking for more bounce and cushioning - the wafer thin insoles the expensive trainers come with can be improved upon. You can spend $40 or $50 on Gucci insoles in D1ck's, or get to Wally world and buy some Dr Sch0ll's for $10 and they do exactly the same job - works for me on Asic's and Mizuno's.

Take a look at the Merrell Moab Ventilator for a summer hiker/everyday shoe. I wear a Moab Ventilator low in summer and Moab Gore-Tex mid when it's cooler.

Merrell recently released the Moab 2, you may still find both versions in the supply chain. Wide widths are available too.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Right now, I'm wearing Keen Targhee IIs for daily wear. I love them, especially the wider "toe box" because I have feet like a duck, and I have to wear custom orthotics due to pronation issues and general fucked-up-ness in my feet. Downsides to Keens - the soles are for shit and are prone to coming apart.
    Kevin, I was a Keen Targhee II guy as well but found both the traction and durability wanting.

I've tried Merrell but have been underwhelmed and Lowa doesn't fit me well.

I generally use Superfeet Green insoles in my shoes to control over pronation but I found two brands of shoes that work well for me:

Oboz: I'm wearing the "Bridger" but you can look through their offerings for a lighter version without eVent if you want something a bit lighter / cooler.

Ahnu: Specifically the "Ridgecrest" model. I think they may be discontinued since the merger with Teva but they are probably still available on amazon, zappos etc.

I don't need Superfeet insoles with either shoe and have multiple pairs. Obviously, YMMV but sounds like we are coming from a shoe we both liked and I actually like both of these better and the fit is awesome with an ample toe box. Construction and durability are excellent so far.

Reviews can be found online.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List