Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2000 Round Test: Vortex Venom RDS (on a Glock 17 MOS)

Smile 2000 Round Test: Vortex Venom RDS (on a Glock 17 MOS)

Because my vision problems (and its corrective fixes) no longer allows me to accommodate for close in objects (ie the front sight is blurry), I have opted to transition to RDS sights for my self defense guns. Conventional wisdom would recommend starting off with the Trijicon RMR06 first. However, I was not sure that a RDS would be totally right for me. Along with the lack of accommodation, the special contacts I wear also gives me some astigmatism too. Thus the red dot always appears like a starburst at some level. On my rifles with T1/H1 sights, I look through my rear O-ring iron sight when aiming at distant targets to minimize this effect. Thus I didn't want to blow $600 for a sight that wasn't a long term solution. Instead I chose the Vortex Venom. It was $226 shipped from Amazon. Below are details of the test.

TEST RESULTS
    • Dates of Test: 5/22/2016 to 7/10/2016.
    • Gun Mounted: Glock 17 MOS.
    • Sights used: Dawson Precision MOS tritium sights: allows for about 1/2 cowitness above the level of the sight housing.
    • Total Rounds: 2081.
    • Using sight to rack the slide: 150+
    • Total battery life: on same original battery since 5/22/16 without turning off red dot (2.5 months).
    • Zero shifts: none.
    • Failures: The dot turned off 3 times total during this test. They occurred one time for the last 3 outings (rounds 1231-2081). Turned back on with touching the up button immediately. Battery housing was secure all three times.

OBSERVATIONS
    • The Glock was new also and shot the 2081 rounds without any malfunctions with the RDS on top. Loctite is mandatory.
    • Visible back up sights are mandatory. Without them I would be hosed when the RDS went out.
    • The sight picture on the Venom is wide and nice. There is a slight blue-ish tint to the glass. I cannot comment on how crisp the dot is. Everybody who has looked told me it looks great.
    • I treated the sights roughly and it held up great.

THE BIG QUESTIONS
    Do I put a failing grade on this sight? It did turn off expectantly three times during the test. I also did come back on quickly without any fuss. It had no other problems. Do I replace it with the RMR06? I don't know if I would put the Glock 17 MOS up for sale if it hiccuped only 3 times. We probably have a good idea when it is time to ditch a gun; but a RDS? What do you guys think?

I think this optic looks interesting, but right now I would go with a DP Pro and no BUIS on a MOS upper for gaming, and a RMR 06 on a milled upper along with Ameriglo tritium BUIS for carry. My experience and everything I read of the experiences of others says the same thing.

Unknown is how the new Sig Romeo 1 and the to be announced Aimpoint will change things.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think this optic looks interesting, but right now I would go with a DP Pro and no BUIS on a MOS upper for gaming, and a RMR 06 on a milled upper along with Ameriglo tritium BUIS for carry. My experience and everything I read of the experiences of others says the same thing.

Unknown is how the new Sig Romeo 1 and the to be announced Aimpoint will change things.
    Those new sights coming out are exacerbating my analysis paralysis. I am deferring milling my guns and sticking with MOS for now given that you can't go back once you milled the slides.

I'm ready for this class of sights to get cheaper and more diverse.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    The DP pro would be nice if it weren't as pricey as a RMR and with a far shorter battery life.

I've been toying with the idea of a MOS glock though...

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review and info Paul!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad to see this, been thinking of Vortex on a milled slide lately. I believe the Vortex Viper sits a little lower than the Venom but the Viper is 6moa vs 3 on the Venom. Frank Proctor mentioned that he was going to be offering packages to include a Vortex MRDS with milling service on his website.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm ready for this class of sights to get cheaper and more diverse.
    So am I. I'd love to get one to wring out, but as of yet they're too expensive for something that might just be a fun project.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I'm ready for Aimpoint to get into this game. I figure they HAVE to be working on something smaller than the T1.

But this sure does look like a good budget option.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    We have the Vortex Viper Red Dot 6 MOA in stock if someone wants to try out a Red Dot on their handgun w/o breaking the bank.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

User Tag List