Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duty ballistic helmet...

Duty ballistic helmet...

I've been putting off buying one for a while and figure this is as good of a time as any to buy one.

Probably will be looking for a set of good chicken plates too.

Anyone have a line on a good helmet?
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Revision and 3M just came out with new high cut helmets that are now being stocked. Ops core is the standard though.

An option is to use Atlantic Signal. The helmets they sell are 3M and they have good prices oveall.

If you want top tier with excellent NVG capabilities, Ops-Core FAST, Team Wendy EXFIL Ballistic, Crye Airframe, Crye Airframe ATX, or MTEK FLUX Ballistic. Otherwise, for straight ballistic capabilities, a quality ACH clone, from Revision, Gentex, etc., would work fine; the Team Wendy replacement pads are the most comfortable, and probably your only real game in town besides the Ops-Core ACH OCC Liner (which is supposedly less comfortable than the Team Wendy stuff, but still superior to the Revision suspension system), so you'll have to balance your conscience with your need for TBI protection.

We just bought new helmets. Would have bought Ops Core, but they didn't even answer the phone or emails. One of our favorite local suppliers had the 3M. Light helmet, but the suspension and pads were not even close to Team Wendy.

We went with Team Wendy as everyone liked it the best. They had outstanding customer service as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    If you want top tier with excellent NVG capabilities, Ops-Core FAST, Team Wendy EXFIL Ballistic, Crye Airframe, Crye Airframe ATX, or MTEK FLUX Ballistic. Otherwise, for straight ballistic capabilities, a quality ACH clone, from Revision, Gentex, etc., would work fine; the Team Wendy replacement pads are the most comfortable, and probably your only real game in town besides the Ops-Core ACH OCC Liner (which is supposedly less comfortable than the Team Wendy stuff, but still superior to the Revision suspension system), so you'll have to balance your conscience with your need for TBI protection.
    Team wendy is out of the equation, screw them with a rake.

Got links to specific products?
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

MTEK FLUX Ballistic: http://store.atarmor.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1911

Mike at AT Armor is good peoples. He's been active with LF and P&S as an armor guru, not sure if he offers further LE discounts, especially considering the events in Dallas, would be worthwhile to reach out to him.

Ops-Core and Crye are going to be difficult to find on sale/discount.

A blem ACH clone: http://www.optactical.com/higrgethachm.html
    Interesting helmet, Gentex is a major manufacturer, but I've not heard much about this model: http://www.optactical.com/getbhstwinvg.html
    DSG offers first-responder discounts, you'll have to reach out to see if/when they'll get this back in stock: https://dsgarms.com/rev4-0525-9973

Revision offers a pro-deal on their Batlskin stuff (ACH clone), but you'd have to call in to see what it is.

Note that the FLUX, FAST, and Airframe are not Level IIIa, but merely meet ACH/MICH specs, which are a bit lower; this keeps them more lightweight. The Airframe ATX is Level IIIa, but heavier.

FWIW:
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrgordo
    O.K....here's what I know - and why my Unit went to the OPS Core over the Air Frame after evaluating both.

• There is an Army Unit who has adopted the Air Frame. I won't disclose which here - SO DON'T ****ING ASK ME!!!!!
    • The are more DOD Units who have adopted the Ops Core for the same reason we adopted the OPS Core - AFSOC/NAVSPECWAR
    • Although ballistic profiles for both are based on MICH/ACH requirements, the Air Frame has had issues with the ATEC "crush test" - again...DON'T ASK ME ABOUT THIS ON THIS FORUM!!!
    • Both have ballistic saves in Theater
    • However, the OPS Core has better 360 degree stand off minimizing Back Face Deformation (BFD) so theoretically TBI may be reduced as well as contact issues from BFD. In particular at the nape of the neck where the medulla is.
    • NO - the Air Frame helmet cover WILL NOT fit the OPS Core. However, we have asked OPS Core to team with Crye to design the same spec cover for our OPS Core - THEY HAVE. We will receive the first 5 this week from Crye. I don't know when OPS Core will make those available as a COTS item - SO DON'T ASK ME. I recommend you contact OPS Core directly for status...

Bottom line for us...the OPS Core allowed us a better platform for all situations, with easy transition/blend in between the Units we work with, with comparable/exactly the same ballistic protection/coverage as the MICH/ACH, with a more stable helmet system while wearing NODS. So our FORCMOD committee recommended transition to the OPS Core.
    Info from Lightfighter circa mid-2011. Also, people have stated that the OpsCore is a more stable platform for NODs than the AirFrames, although with the Team Wendy Cam-Fit liners, the difference has been significantly reduced compared to the OCC Liner, not sure how it compares to the new Lux Liner from Ops-Core. On the other hand, depending on how long you'll be wearing your helmet, "Roland" over at P&S has stated in the podcasts that he prefers the Airframe, strictly for its venting system, as it allows for a longer amount of time before he starts fogging up his eye pro and/or NODs, not sure if that's relevant for your mission.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 07-09-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    MTEK FLUX Ballistic: http://store.atarmor.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1911

Mike at AT Armor is good peoples. He's been active with LF and P&S as an armor guru, not sure if he offers further LE discounts, especially considering the events in Dallas, would be worthwhile to reach out to him.

Ops-Core and Crye are going to be difficult to find on sale/discount.

A blem ACH clone: http://www.optactical.com/higrgethachm.html
    Interesting helmet, Gentex is a major manufacturer, but I've not heard much about this model: http://www.optactical.com/getbhstwinvg.html
    DSG offers first-responder discounts, you'll have to reach out to see if/when they'll get this back in stock: https://dsgarms.com/rev4-0525-9973

Revision offers a pro-deal on their Batlskin stuff (ACH clone), but you'd have to call in to see what it is.

Note that the FLUX, FAST, and Airframe are not Level IIIa, but merely meet military specs, which are a bit lower; this keeps them more lightweight. The Airframe ATX is Level IIIa, but heavier.

FWIW:

Info from Lightfighter circa mid-2011. Also, people have stated that the OpsCore is a more stable platform for NODs than the AirFrames, although with the Team Wendy Cam-Fit liners, the difference has been significantly reduced compared to the OCC Liner, not sure how it compares to the new Lux Liner from Ops-Core. On the other hand, depending on how long you'll be wearing your helmet, "Roland" over at P&S has stated in the podcasts that he prefers the Airframe, strictly for its venting system, as it allows for a longer amount of time before he starts fogging up his eye pro and/or NODs, not sure if that's relevant for your mission.
    Thanks, I am already verified with dsg...
    VDMSR.com

All these high speed cool guy helmets, and here I am with my mid 90s PASGT helmet...

But the price was right. (Free)
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Oh, and FWIW, it was a Revision Batlskin that had a ballistic save during the Orlando attack:

http://soldiersystems.net/2016/06/28...officers-life/

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    All these high speed cool guy helmets, and here I am with my mid 90s PASGT helmet...

But the price was right. (Free)
    Yeah, but I've always been told the first rule of gunfighting is to look cool.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 07-09-2016 at 09:39 AM.

Yeah I saw the revision helmet photo, I trying to find the most applicable for my loadout setup...
    VDMSR.com

User Tag List