Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wannabe?

Wannabe?

I've been lurking for a bit on here. The law enforcement section has really opened my eyes to what LEO's are dealing with. This forum and the recent events have convinced me to attempt to pursue a career in LE. I get my degree at the end of December, SRA (security risk analysis [cyber security ]) 4 year degree. I want to make a positive impact, as a cop. While I am in good enough shape, my age may be an obstacle, 40. I have no record, not even any traffic violations. Former military, Navy, honorable discharge. I have a strong work ethic, been working full-time since I was 10 years old . I think that the wide rage of jobs/experiences I have had would be very beneficial. I've been a farm labourer, a factory worker well as many other types of labor such as construction, a SONAR Tech in the Navy, as well as a salesman, and my current job as a garbage man, where I run anywhere from 5 to 10 miles a day while throwing upwards 13 tons of trash into the truck (with no break). I joined the Navy less than a month after 9/11, because I wanted to help. I feel the same calling to help now. I am also an avid shooter, I practice every weekend, around 200 rounds or so a weekend between my pistol and rifle. Now I do not believe that any of this automatically qualifies me, these experiences would definitely help as I went through an Academy. I'm asking y'all for a push in the right direction. My wife and I live in PA, but want to move to the Texas area to start my LE career. I have no idea where to start! Hopefully my age won't be an insurmountable barrier to helping my fellow man.

Law Enforcment agencies nationwide are struggling to find solid, dependable applicants. As a full time trainer, I can tell you that the overall level of applicant today is not anywhere near what we used to get. When I tested in 1997, there were 2000 people standing in the line to test. In today's society, we do well to fill academies. I don't want to delve into the why, that's a topic for another day. I can just say that if you have the desire, are willing to put up with the academy for 6 months, and can make it through field training, go for it. Do not, for a moment, let your age deter you. in my experience, the more senior guys that go through the academy, tend to do much better. Chalk it up to life experience I suppose. If you have the heart and the passion, go for it. Don't let anything get in your way. There is a department somewhere looking for a qualified applicant.
    Last edited by VegasHK; 07-30-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Since you're a veteran, I'd look at some of the Federal agencies out there. If you're looking to get to a particular spot (such as TX), look into FPS. Quite a few Federal LE agencies hiring for positions in the National Capital Region as well, such as Capitol Police, Pentagon Police, Secret Service-Uniformed Division, etc etc.
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 07-30-2016 at 02:17 PM.

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Hopefully I can find a department willing to take a chance on me. The academy shouldn't be a problem for me. I think that I am still mentally, emotionally, intellectually, and physically able to do the job. I still love to learn new things, and hard work is never been a deterrent for me I've been doing it for the past 30 years and will probably still be working till I die, with my boots on hopefully.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    My current department has an age limit, and it's a hard cap with no waivers. This is due to pension requirements, not the belief older candidates are bad candidates. You would not be eligible here despite being a solid candidate for LE work.

A nearby department has no age cap, and I know of at least one fellow you got hired on in his mid 50s with no prior LE experience. If you were around me, I'd refer you to Louisville Metro PD, Kentucky state police, or various Sheriff's Departments in Kentucky or Indiana. I'm not sure you'd want to move for a job, but if you do those are places that don't have an age cap I know of off the top of my head. Louisville Metro is a pretty solid PD with reasonable pay and benefits and a nice city to live in.

You sound like a solid candidate, the next step is to find a place you'll be a good fit. There are departments that don't much care about age.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasHK View Post
    Law Enforcment agencies nationwide are struggling to find solid, dependable applicants. As a full time trainer, I can tell you that the overall level of applicant today is not anywhere near what we used to get. When I tested in 1997, there were 2000 people standing in the line to test. In today's society, we do well to fill academies. I don't want to delve into the why, that's a topic for another day. I can just say that if you have the desire, are willing to put up with the academy for 6 months, and can make it through field training, go for it. Do not, for a moment, let your age deter you. in my experience, the more senior guys that go through the academy, tend to do much better. Chalk it up to life experience I suppose. If you have the heart and the passion, go for it. Don't let anything get in your way. There is a department somewhere looking for a qualified applicant.
    Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to hear! Hopefully I can find a department willing to take a chance on me. The academy shouldn't be a problem for me. I think that I am still mentally, emotionally, intellectually, and physically able to do the job. I still love to learn new things, and hard work is never been a deterrent for me I've been doing it for the past 30 years and will probably still be working till I die, with my boots on hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My current department has an age limit, and it's a hard cap with no waivers. This is due to pension requirements, not the belief older candidates are bad candidates. You would not be eligible here despite being a solid candidate for LE work.

A nearby department has no age cap, and I know of at least one fellow you got hired on in his mid 50s with no prior LE experience. If you were around me, I'd refer you to Louisville Metro PD, Kentucky state police, or various Sheriff's Departments in Kentucky or Indiana. I'm not sure you'd want to move for a job, but if you do those are places that don't have an age cap I know of off the top of my head. Louisville Metro is a pretty solid PD with reasonable pay and benefits and a nice city to live in.

You sound like a solid candidate, the next step is to find a place you'll be a good fit. There are departments that don't much care about age.
    Thank you for the suggestions. I most definitely want to move, hopefully to the Texas area, maybe Arizona. Getting too blue (liberal) here in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    Since you're a veteran, I'd look at some of the Federal agencies out there. If you're looking to get to a particular spot (such as TX), look into FPS. Quite a few Federal LE agencies hiring for positions in the National Capital Region as well, such as Capitol Police, Pentagon Police, Secret Service-Uniformed Division, etc etc.
    I hadn't considered a fed job. I would consider it. I figured my best bet would be a small town dept, or a rural county, or border patrol. Thank you for letting me know of an option, I hadn't even considered.

I forgot that I can speak, read and write Spanish. I have been speaking Spanish since i was about 10, and just took Spanish I, II, III as part of my degree requirements.

Four out of our last five hires were 40 years old or older. Overall, they work better than the young guys and girls, although there are some young stars. One of the first things I suggest to everyone that wants a job in LE is to do a ride-along. Find a small , medium and large agency in your area and try to do a ride with each. You'll find out very quickly if this is really a job for you or if it's just a fantasy. I take riders at least once a month, and many go on to try to become cops. It's very satisfying to know that at least 10 are now full time cops. I've had several others realize that first night or two with me they're in way over their head with the multitasking and stress that's involved. At least they knew that before they spent their time and energy on on Academy. Good luck, and PM me if you would like more information or suggestions.

User Tag List