Thread: 'clean' ammo : more wear to barrel?

'clean' ammo : more wear to barrel?

As a continuation of some comments that were posted by Todd in this thread, http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...ing-to-barrels
    I was wondering how the ammo we use fits in with barrel life, parts wear, etc.

We use the following ammo.

I've put tens of thousands of rounds of the Winchester Super Unleaded through a few different guns (30,000+ in one) and haven't noticed any accelerated wear. The ammo also seems to shoot just fine in the guns I've used, giving me groups under 2" (under 1.5" in a couple) at 25m through 3 different makes of pistols (S&W, Sig, Glock).

We just got in a bunch (500k or so) of the CCI and Federal, and I'm wondering is how it will do. I shot the DotW, Sweet 16 with the CCI, and apart from a very different smell while shooting it, didn't notice much difference apart from a slight POI change. I haven't tried the Federal yet.

My main question is if the ammo will cause accelerated barrel and parts wear....

We are diminished
    The worst specific cases I'm aware of were with CCI lead-free frangible.

Thanks Todd.

Based on your vastly superior knowledge in this field (and I mean that sincerely, since my sarcasm and sincerity sometimes gets mixed up...), I think I'm safe since we aren't using frangible, just TMJ.

We are diminished
    There may also have been changes to the ammo since the problems I saw around '06 & '07.

User Tag List