Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New CCW - draw fire times

LV - I'll add the following caution - draw and shoot and fast splits are fun drills, but, I don't remember if you're a new shooter, or if this is just a new pistol. If the former, I'd urge you in the strongest possible words to (a) focus on the fundamentals of accuracy and (b) find a competent instructor before you train yourself into any potential bad habits.

If you're an old hand who's solid on fundamentals - get on with your bad self and GET FAST!

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    LV - I'll add the following caution - draw and shoot and fast splits are fun drills, but, I don't remember if you're a new shooter, or if this is just a new pistol. If the former, I'd urge you in the strongest possible words to (a) focus on the fundamentals of accuracy and (b) find a competent instructor before you train yourself into any potential bad habits.

If you're an old hand who's solid on fundamentals - get on with your bad self and GET FAST!
    I grew up around and been a very casual shooter most of my life, like shoot once a year casual, until the last year that is.

Training is a must for me I know this. I am looking at getting some in the next month or so.

Thanks again for all of the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bornandraisedlv View Post
    Lots of good info here and I know I need to seek out some professional training to get to the proficiency level I would feel comfortable at.
    Some of the details I left out.
    We were shooting from concealment at the 4pm position, slim fit button up as the cover garment. Shooting at b-16 targets, not sure of the size of the black but would guess 6" and only counting the black as hits from 7 and 10 yards. I was shooting mainly my p30sk but tossed in my VP9 into the mix, holster is a TT Gunleather Mikes Special. He was shooting his m&p 9 from a alien gear I think. The one thing that made me feel a little better was that I am only 6 months into owning a firearm of any kind and he was a marine and has owned a side arm for aleast 8 years

Time for me to work on my draws during my dry fire routine, I'm confident as I become more more comfortable with the draw my times will drop a bit. Still I think the thing that this had made me realize is that I need training.

Thanks again for all of the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will say, contrary to many folks opinion, just because someone was/is in the military, does not mean they know how to shoot. Unless they are in some very specific jobs, the military doesn't necessarily stress pistol fundamentals. This is in NO way a dig on any of our military heroes. Not at all. Just saying, "my buddy was in the military" doesn't make him a pistolero.
    Last edited by VegasHK; 07-15-2016 at 05:42 PM.

My friend is a young Marine with Expert badges for pistol and carbine, and a commendation medal related to marksmanship. He said that one could be a 8 year Marine veteran and have shot 0 pistol rounds. But he said typical Marines would shoot 40-200 a year, depending on MOS. He said some guys like ones in the marksmanship unit or special ops shoot thousands. This was over a garbled speakerphone while driving so I could be a little off.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasHK View Post
    I will say, contrary to many folks opinion, just because someone was/is in the military, does not mean they know how to shoot. Unless they are in some very specific jobs, the military doesn't necessarily stress pistol fundamentals. This is in NO way a dig on any of our military heroes. Not at all. Just saying, "my buddy was in the military" doesn't make him a pistolero.

To the OP......

I was looking to shave time off my first shot from concealment and found that watching a video of myself revealed a lot of things that were going wrong with the draw.

I took a buddy shooting a few months back and he had a Go Pro he was playing with. He video taped me running a FAST drill without me knowing and showed it to me. My first shot time was in the 1.7-2.0 range and when I watched myself, I found all sorts of goofy movement I was doing that was slowing me down. Bending at the knees, swaying to my left as I drew.....all sorts of junk that wasn't helping anything at all.

So I worked on it slow and cut all that movement out. My first shot time dropped down to 1.5 ish range just by cutting out all that movement I was doing. That's about as fast as I can get it and I'm pretty happy it cut down that many tenths.

Another big change I made was to not only shoot more but also use my ammunition to work on my weaknesses instead of my strengths. Reloads and splits were good so I knew that the draw stroke was where I needed to work. You can do a lot of practicing on draw stroke in your living room with an unloaded pistol and your usual carry rig. My shot timer app on my phone with a par time at 1.5 and a wall mirror helped tremendously. Cost me nothing to do.

Good luck.
    Last edited by lwt16; 07-25-2016 at 08:23 AM.

User Tag List