Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CCW - draw fire times

New CCW - draw fire times

So I recently obtained my CCW and have been practicing my presentation. Today my brother and I did our biweekly range outing and both of us took the first portion of the day to focus on getting hits on target from concealment. My times I felt were pretty damn slow with an avg time for my first shot being 2.06 and the lowest of 1.86. Split times averaged .50. I was very happy with shot placement but not sure that I am happy with it taking me 2 seconds to draw and get a shot on target.

Just wondering what is a perceived acceptable time to get a hit on target, in regarded to a self defense situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum.

I'm new to CCW also. I'd like to say an Azone hit from concealment is good to aim for, but not sure what is *good*. Interested in the responses.

Oh, what distance were you shooting?

Edit to add: At TacCon 2016, Tom Givens said you need the gun out "Right Fucking Now". I'm not sure what that translates to, but subjectively, I get it.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-08-2016 at 07:59 PM.

Depends on the target and distance. For me, let's call it 8" IDPA COM at 7 yds. From IWB strongside under a polo shirt I can get hits in the 1.3-1.4 range.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

It's never enough, we ideally train to our physical limit then try to break that if we ever reach it

What carry style, clothing/concealment, type of holster, target, range?
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

For me to hit a 4x6 card at 10 yards, I'm right around 2.2 sec with my P229 & 2.0 with my P226 from concealment.

I want faster too, especially when I just sit a listen to how slow 2.2 seconds is on a shot timer.

I don't have anything better to say other than, you're not alone in that range.

1.5 to 2 seconds from real life concealment until first accurate shot on target at 10 yards.
    Last edited by eb07; 07-08-2016 at 09:20 PM.

When I was at the Reactive Shooting Instructor Training Program at Flea-Tech many moons ago, by the end of the week I could consistently hit an 8" circle at 5 yards from an open carried concealment holster in 1.0 or less. I hit the silhouette at the .75 second mark a couple of times, but wouldn't want to ever try that in the real world. There was one freak in our class who was consistently getting good hits on .5 second exposures. Again, not from concealment, but FAST, stoopid fast.

Everyone's goals and standards are different, of course, but MY personal standard of "proficient" is a hit in an 8" circle from concealment in under 1.5 seconds from a cold (hands relaxed) start, on the timer. Follow up shots should be all hits at that target at that range, and .25 second splits or under. If you can perform those two things ON DEMAND ALL THE TIME, you need to start working harder drills, and get a good trainer who will push you.

I would seek professional training. Draws are important but there is more stuff than that! Don't be a one trick pony. Be a 1,997 trick pony.
    i used to wannabe

Lots of good info here and I know I need to seek out some professional training to get to the proficiency level I would feel comfortable at.
    Some of the details I left out.
    We were shooting from concealment at the 4pm position, slim fit button up as the cover garment. Shooting at b-16 targets, not sure of the size of the black but would guess 6" and only counting the black as hits from 7 and 10 yards. I was shooting mainly my p30sk but tossed in my VP9 into the mix, holster is a TT Gunleather Mikes Special. He was shooting his m&p 9 from a alien gear I think. The one thing that made me feel a little better was that I am only 6 months into owning a firearm of any kind and he was a marine and has owned a side arm for aleast 8 years

Time for me to work on my draws during my dry fire routine, I'm confident as I become more more comfortable with the draw my times will drop a bit. Still I think the thing that this had made me realize is that I need training.

Thanks again for all of the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bornandraisedlv View Post

Time for me to work on my draws during my dry fire routine, I'm confident as I become more more comfortable with the draw my times will drop a bit. Still I think the thing that this had made me realize is that I need training.

Proper technique, maximizing efficiency and minimizing extraneous movement is the path to faster presentations. Obtaining competent instruction is highly recommended.

User Tag List